Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th January 2011, 16:57   #1216
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Good news-500 UCE coming in different form and colours soon

Expected soon to be launched new versions of bullet with 500 EFI and more options in Classic 500.

500 UCE will be launched in;

Standard 500 EFI (Black colour)
Electra 500 EFI (Maroon, Metallic Forest Green)
Classic chrome and with very popular demand but due to Government rules, desert colour instead of military green.
Attachment 491135

Can anyone please do a photoshop with desert colour in mat finish for this C5!
Attachment 491136

For some the bad news is that still no O2 sensor and all 500 with EFI but you never know they might shunt the idea of EFI due to cost reason and give us a carburettor version. But going by what I have seen, all were EFI. Sorry unable to share the pictures on here.

Update on swing arm bush upgrade

I believe in practice what you preach so here is a small info for those who want to go for a upgrade to take care of instability without loosing too much sleep by avoiding the no of checks I had previously quoted. I just did the upgrade myself today so here is a DIY for you lads.
Attachment 491137

In the picture you can see the parts next to the swing arm which came out and the ones which went in.

The white bush and the spacer came out from stock C5. Flange bolt is reused with the new bushes x2 from the Standard CI bullet along with the the washers x2 from Std Bullet rear hub.

How to DIY

1. Remove the swing arm and the plastic bushes along with the spacer.

2. Grease the inside of the flange and use the flange bolt the hammer the CI bush in. You could also get it done on hydraulic press but you can adjust the length it needs to go in if you are doing this upgrade for the first time.

3. The bush outer rim should match the flange of the swing arm.
Attachment 491138

4. Repeat the same for other bush.

5. Grease the bushes from inside.

6. Take the 2 washers and use a file to make the holes a tad bigger just with enough clearance to slide the flange bolt through.

This is the most fiddly and time consuming part if you are doing it for first time-

7. Put through the flange bolt from the chassis from one side and slide the washer onto the flange bolt. Don't make it protrude too much so that you are unable to horizontally align the swing arm. Now align the swing arm and push through the flange bolt into the swing arm just enough so that the washer is into its position from one side. Putting through the second washer is the most hardest as you have very tight clearances. But we need it just like that otherwise no point in putting in the new bushes.

You really got to use some common sense to get the second washer into it's place and may be some profanity to get it done.

8. Now tighten up the flange bolt.

9. Once rear is put back, take it for a short ride. Then get the flange bolt tightened while sitting on the bike.

Enjoy your bike on rails at whatever speeds you fancy without thinking of your loosing your family jewels.

Cost

Chain stay bushes(swing arm bushes) Rs 150 for a pair.
Washers Rs 20 for a pair
Labour Rs 150

Total cost of upgrade= Rs 320

Is the upgrade reversible?

Yes it is if you don't like the setup. But keep the spacer(if in good condition) and use new bushes if you want to revert back. Will need a press to get the bushes out.

CAUTION-Advisory note
After this upgrade, you will feel your bike behaving as if you have a over-inflated tyre or shocker at its hardest position. Don't bother adjusting the shocker to a lower setting as you will possibly damage the rear wiring harness and still not get a softer ride and curse me for a new mysterious electrical problem.

You will feel this behaviour simply because you were unaware of slack in the rear suspension system and not so good shock absorbers which you got used to. Now with the slack almost gone and with hard rear tyre and not so good shock absorber, you will feel the need to improve further on quality of ride rather then instability for C5 with 18's up front.

Better save and invest some money on a set of new high quality shock absorbers or keep the tyre pressure between 28-32PSi depending how you feel and your weight with/without a pillion rider.

But I'll wait for two weeks for things to settle down by itself(RE magic-seriously) and then go on from there if I feel the shocks need an upgrade.
Very Good. Am really impressed with the attention to details U have put in about the swingarm upgrade.

Do u have any concrete info on when the new variants of the Classic will come out? Any more pics (esp. the chrome/ Red one and the full black one?)

Apart from the tyre upgrade to 120 section at the back and 19 inch rims in the front, air-filter cover and chain guard modification, sprag clutch improvement (?), what other changes have RE made in it's later Classic models. I believe they were promising quite a few improvements.

Randhawa, hats off to U. I sincerely applaud your efforts in helping all Bulleteers and Classic Owners in particular. More Power to U.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 17:49   #1217
Senior - BHPian

@hollywoodhogan- Can not say ready access but I pester some people a lot to get a bit of info.

@Deep- Yup you are right about the change in shocks with pre electra's but I think they were different manufacturers and now you can not get them from the same manufacturer. Apart from not going with the C5 look the shocks you recommend can do the trick. Will try to get them for a test run.

@Abhay- I can not say for sure but 16-20 difference is a lot and generally the notches should be same on booth sides. Chain will not touch anything unless its too loose. You probably have something touching inside the rear brake drum(could be the brake pad springs). Get that checked.

@Puff- No concrete dates as all I know is it should be out within 6 months.

No pictures as I can not post them on here. For chrome, there are plenty of pictures online- Just google it.

Black 500EFI will come in Standard 350UCE form. Exactly like a standard black bullet but with 500EFI. I am quite surprised with RE sticking with EFI and I am assuming a price rise for all the RE bikes especially the Classic range. Just in one year RE has increased the price of Classic by Rs 10,000.

Other few changes they have done are;
1.Extra wiring for 2nd horn incorporating it with the horn loom. It's only for classic 500 and not classic 350 or any other.

2.Oil filter cover is one complete unit now as compared to the previous ones which had loose spring and cap. Very easy to change oil filter by yourself now.

3.Battery is being sourced from different vendors now. Now there are three suppliers of batteries which are coming in Classic. Exide, Fiamm or Fiemm(comes with drain pipe), and something like Dem.

4. Some modification in the crank breather chamber.

5. Extra plate welded on the frame to stop the centre stand from sagging.

6. A much needed crank shaft right hand side Needle Roller Bearing which is or was the only thing holding UCE to be a bullet proof engine. Yet not confirmed if they have changed the SKF NRB to a Japanese vendor but rumours say they have. I have not seen it yet so cant confirm this upgrade. Although this is the only upgrade worth waiting for.

7. Now you can get the upswept on C5 without changing the down pipe but not worth it and better to get the older upswept with the down pipe without the catalytic converter. Some adjustment to the upswept angle at rear so it clears the rear hub bolt.

8. RE is still shifting between 110-120 rear tyre size. Some lot are coming with 120 and some with 110. May be they are clearing the stock of 110.

9. Crank is a tad bit heavier but very well balanced for reduced vibrations.

10. Some Electra's are coming with different master cylinder filled with read brake fluid.

Thats all I remember as of now.

Last edited by Randhawa : 30th January 2011 at 17:51.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 18:22   #1218
BHPian

@ Randhawa : In your post about replacing the CI bushes, point no. 7 does not clearly illustrate the position of the washers. Or may be I am plain dumb...! could you please clarify if the washers are the outermost parts on the swing arm (i.e. are they located between the chassis and the swing arm assembly) ????
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 18:37   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Picture illustrating the point no 7 of DIY bush upgrade.
Name:  washer.jpg
Views: 5067
Size:  331.6 KB

With the washer in place
Name:  18022008233.jpg
Views: 4938
Size:  73.2 KB

Important-Addition for point no 7

In the first picture above- When sliding in the washer on RHS do remove the black part attached on the swing arm. Do put it back on after you have accomplished a tedious task of sliding washers.

Do not get bothered about the 1mm gap you see in the second picture between the washer and the swing arm. It's an illusion, CI bush has a protruded inner which is sitting flush with the washer.

Last edited by Randhawa : 30th January 2011 at 18:54.
Old 30th January 2011, 18:49   #1220
BHPian

I was correct then, and not so dumb as I thought I may be !!
Would cutting this white protruding part of the original "fibre/plastic bush" of C500 and using it instead of the CI washers, defeat the purpose of this exercise.
I am concerned that the iron washer may make grinding noise when it comes in direct contact between the chassis and the swing arm ???
Old 30th January 2011, 19:02   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Now you are acting dumb Please go over the DIY write up. We don't cut the white bush but replace it with the CI bullet bush as in the first picture of the write-up. So you remove the whole white bush.

No it does not makes any noise. Look at any CI bullet swing arm bush setup. I have done exactly the same way. On CI bulls there is a extra metal plate welded where the bush touches and on C5 I compensated with adding a plate in the form of washer.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:12   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Now you are acting dumb Please go over the DIY write up. We don't cut the white bush but replace it with the CI bullet bush as in the first picture of the write-up. So you remove the whole white bush.

No it does not makes any noise. Look at any CI bullet swing arm bush setup. I have done exactly the same way. On CI bulls there is a extra metal plate welded where the bush touches and on C5 I compensated with adding a plate in the form of washer.
No No... I think you got me all wrong ! I did not mean to use both the metal washer and the white bush together.... just the protruding part of the white bush (after cutting it from the rest of the part which goes inside the swing arm) instead of the metal washer...so that there may not be any grinding of metals !! SO my question was, would it defeat our purpose if we used the CI bushes along with white washer instead of metal washer. Thanks...!!
Old 31st January 2011, 15:15   #1223
Senior - BHPian

You are getting it wrong again!!. You don't cut the protruding part of the white bush but you remove the entire white bush from booth end and replace it with the CI bush. See the picture 1 and point 1 of DIY.

I think this is what is confusing you

From picture on post No 1219- "Washer will go on the sides of the swing arm and take place of the protruded white part of the older bush. Washer is to compensate the gap created after removing the plastic bush. Washer is exact size of the outer bush in thickness"

When I say remove the plastic bush means remove the complete bush and not cut it.

Are you seriously winding me up on purpose

Last edited by Randhawa : 31st January 2011 at 15:37.
Old 31st January 2011, 17:06   #1224
BHPian

I got you correctly the very first time, and understand the process just the way you want me to.

But it seems I am unable to explain you my query. Hmmmm.... let me re-phrase it.

What would be the scenario if we set up the entire swing arm the way you have suggested, "BUT" use fibre washers instead of where you have used the two metal washers.

Would it defeat the purpose of changing the CI bushes......? Are metal washers an absolute must for this set up to work........?? Got it........or........???

Last edited by bradhey : 31st January 2011 at 17:08.
Old 31st January 2011, 19:58   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Yes it defeats the purpose of changing to Ci bushes if you put any plastic washer and Yes the metal washers are absolutely must.
Old 31st January 2011, 22:18   #1226
Senior - BHPian

For those who are not sure if the CI bush upgrade on C5 is must have or worth it. Check out Hitchcocks Motorcycles - Suspension (Rear) what Hitchcock UK is offering and why.
Old 1st February 2011, 08:35   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
.... after almost 10 year of riding around on STD bullet and Electras. i have a little bit of experience.

Now regarding the Suspension i think that if one wants they can go for the older STD type Shocks the ones with bigger pumps. or...
Any pointers towards identifying the older ones you said i think an after market piece could be found out if we know the make & what to look for. How different are these different from the current hydraulic shockers of std 350 in terms of comfort/ handling?
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 08:54   #1228
Senior - BHPian

I think the gas shockers that i am using on my standard are the Endurance ones.

hey i am using the ones in the link above in Randhawa's post

REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS (GAS FILLED)

Last edited by desideep : 1st February 2011 at 08:58.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 09:00   #1229
BHPian

@ desi, i was asking about "older STD type Shocks the ones with bigger pumps" -the regular hydraulic ones. not the gas filled.

Gas shocks in the link also says 'not suitable for classic engine bullets'. They mean Iron engines by the name classic not Uce's.

Last edited by Rennjit : 1st February 2011 at 09:08.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 09:07   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
For those who are not sure if the CI bush upgrade on C5 is must have or worth it. Check out Hitchcocks Motorcycles - Suspension (Rear) what Hitchcock UK is offering and why.
Earlier somewhere you had mentioned that we need to file the CI bushes to fit to C5. Is that still hold correct?
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote