Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th March 2011, 22:36   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Few main issues;

Missfiring/black smoke/rich mixture issue- Only with C5

Sprag failure- common to all UCE but so far not heard of a single failure with new updated sprag

Instability- Not heard of C3 going over 110 so can't say for sure if escapes this problem nor heard of any feedback of new C5 with 19 in front if it has actually resolved the issue with bigger tyre in front.

Crank shaft RHS NRB issue common to all UCE

Kick Pawl issue- Only with UCE 350 and more importantly with Std 350 only

Piston noise- common to all UCE but only 1% have claimed to hear it, it's present on every single UCE I have tested so far.

Auto de-compressor noise issue- Common to all

Serious Quality issue with parts- common to all UCE
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 18:30   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
@Ricky- did you got the 500 clutch plates installed? Ask Naren with anything CI/AVL, he's the man to get help from.
Not yet, met with a slight accident and the handle bar/front fork got bent, gave the bike for repair today. The mechanic said he has to check the two T-bars to know which one is bent. If the upper T-bar is bent then it has to be replaced as it is ceramic or if the lower T-bar is bent then it can be repaired. Left side front shocker was also leaking so that repair also has to be done.
That tack tack noise i was talking about from the clutch chain, the mechanic said it is from the main chain only and he said the chain lock has to be replaced. But i am wondering why was the chain not making that noise when the bike was standstill.
The mechanic said that the handle bar also has to be changed so now i am thinking of getting a different handle bar (bored of TB handle bar ). Any suggestions?
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 22:32   #1413
Senior - BHPian

@Robert-What happened to cause such a scary oil leak in the KTM?

@Ricky-I dont think any non TB handle will look good and any other handle will prove troublesome for the wires.

Last edited by Randhawa : 6th March 2011 at 22:34.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 09:58   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
@Ricky-I dont think any non TB handle will look good and any other handle will prove troublesome for the wires.
I saw one TB with a short straight handle bar. The handle was somewhat like the one on HD Iron 883. It definitely looked good city riding but i don't know the comfort level for a long ride. Can we try the handle bar on shop and return it if not liked?
Old 7th March 2011, 10:57   #1415
BHPian

Quote:

@Adrian- There is a possibility your carburettor is not set right or the throttle cable on TPS is not adjusted properly.
Thank you Randhawa, I will get that checked ASAP. Got one weird problem with the head lamps. The low beam can hit a truck driver in the face and I can see birds perched on the trees with the high beam Any adjustments available to adjust the beam ?
OT : You are really good in personal management as well
@ Robert : Glad to have another technical expertise in TBHP !
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 7th March 2011 at 10:59.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 11:58   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Yup. Get it adjusted. Rather simple procedure. The adjustment screw isn't set right. 5 minute job.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 13:34   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
i
That tack tack noise i was talking about from the clutch chain, the mechanic said it is from the main chain only and he said the chain lock has to be replaced. But i am wondering why was the chain not making that noise when the bike was standstill.
Hi Rick, Seems like you had a loose drive chain issue on your bike with the chain slipping off the front sprocket teeth. When you had checked the bike on centre stand, there was no load on the drive chain and hence no sound. With the bike in the ground with the rider on top, a loose chain will slip over the front sprocket especially in low gears as the force exerted on the drive chain will be of the proportion to overcome the weight of the vehicle + the rider.
@ EssYouWe : Thanks buddy, any idea where this adjustment thing is located. I hope that there is vertical and horizontal adjustments available as in cars.
Regards Adrian

Last edited by adrian : 7th March 2011 at 13:37.
Old 7th March 2011, 14:16   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi Rick, Seems like you had a loose drive chain issue on your bike with the chain slipping off the front sprocket teeth. When you had checked the bike on centre stand, there was no load on the drive chain and hence no sound. With the bike in the ground with the rider on top, a loose chain will slip over the front sprocket especially in low gears as the force exerted on the drive chain will be of the proportion to overcome the weight of the vehicle + the rider.
What you said makes complete sense. Thanks. I have been riding the bike with this issue for 2000 kms (got the chain tightened in between but the sound was still there), Does the front sprocket gets damaged by this? Should i get it changed?
Old 7th March 2011, 14:37   #1419
BHPian

@ Ricky : The sound produced, if it was due to chain slippage would have worn off the teeth of the front sprocket. Overtightening the chain also would give bad results.
@ Randhawa and other experts : Is there a possibility of misalignment in the case of chain and sprocket as in the case of cross chaining in geared bicycles?
Regards Adrian
Old 7th March 2011, 21:00   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@ Ricky : The sound produced, if it was due to chain slippage would have worn off the teeth of the front sprocket. Overtightening the chain also would give bad results.
@ Randhawa and other experts : Is there a possibility of misalignment in the case of chain and sprocket as in the case of cross chaining in geared bicycles?
Regards Adrian
Hi,
Misaligned chains are quite unusual unless the bike has been subject to a serious impact or the bearings are worn badly. Sometimes , when the drive chain and sprocket set are changed , there may be a minor misalignment on refitting the primary chain case specially if the case has been shimmed earlier. If the primary sprocket is being changed , always a good idea to check alignment and adjust if necessary.

Regards
Naren
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 09:20   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
What is your opinion about these handlebars?
Attached Images

Old 8th March 2011, 09:41   #1422
Senior - BHPian

If you can get the wires around (which might be possible) and get the same chrome finish, it will look awesome!

This is what you call chrome! Feel aa gayi
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 09:46   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
What is your opinion about these handlebars?
My friend has got this one on his TB. HIGHLY uncomfortable.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 09:56   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
If you can get the wires around (which might be possible) and get the same chrome finish, it will look awesome!

This is what you call chrome! Feel aa gayi
I saw this handlebar on Chawla Auto Spares in Karol bagh, Delhi. I have to check for the wires because it was not that big and i thought the same wires could be used.
Old 8th March 2011, 09:58   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualhemant View Post
My friend has got this one on his TB. HIGHLY uncomfortable.
Can you please post a pic of his bike and ask him if he got the wires changed or the same were used?
How about a handlebar like HD Iron 883?