Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th March 2011, 10:05   #1426
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexanerax View Post
Hi,
Misaligned chains are quite unusual unless the bike has been subject to a serious impact or the bearings are worn badly. Sometimes , when the drive chain and sprocket set are changed , there may be a minor misalignment on refitting the primary chain case specially if the case has been shimmed earlier. If the primary sprocket is being changed , always a good idea to check alignment and adjust if necessary.

Regards
Naren
Thank you Naren. One more thing I would like to know. If the rear wheel is misaligned, say 2 to 3 notches different in the cam gear, would it cause bad effects on the chain and sprocket ?
Regards Adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 20:52   #1427

Randhawa

Quote:
Robert-What happened to cause such a scary oil leak in the KTM?
Oh, it was my fault, as 2 years previously I'd stripped the drain plug for the Oil Reservoir, and instead of removing the tank and re-threading it properly, I opted for one of the rubber/expanding plugs that one can purchase. Really worked great, until it didn't , and in the worst of circumstances! Have you guys heard of 'Murphy's Law' over here?

Anyway, I removed it and jury-rigged some rubber in it to hold it until I got to the next stop on my journey, where I took it all apart and repaired it properly.

BTW Randhawa, you planted a seed in my thoughts that I'm having a hard time shaking loose, and I'm actually scheming of a way to bring the Beast over here. Common sense has me asking WHY I would even consider it, as it doesn't make any practical sense whatsoever...but that's motorcycles for ya, as they generally fall outside of these parameters.

Robert
RCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 22:55   #1428
Senior - BHPian

When you cherish a piece of metal with passion and love, it becomes more then just a lump. For some they don't have this affair with machinery. For some it becomes a obsession and can cause undesirable insanity and I am known to provoke these feeling in petrol heads LOL.

I still have a E36 BMW in UK which I still keep thinking to import and on other hand I keep thinking to find a way out to export my C5 to Canada where you are not allowed to import a vehicle less then 15yrs old.

Jeez man, the rubber ring lasted over two year is a miracle itself She served you right for mistreating her.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 22:59   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
When you cherish a piece of metal with passion and love, it becomes more then just a lump. For some they don't have this affair with machinery. For some it becomes a obsession and can cause undesirable insanity and I am known to provoke these feeling in petrol heads LOL.

I still have a E36 BMW in UK which I still keep thinking to import and on other hand I keep thinking to find a way out to export my C5 to Canada where you are not allowed to import a vehicle less then 15yrs old.

Jeez man, the rubber ring lasted over two year is a miracle itself She served you right for mistreating her.
Why don't you dissemble the bike here, import the parts individually and then assemble there in Canada. I'm assuming that would work out since you are not technically importing a bike but just the parts for a bike..
classic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:01   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Thank you Naren. One more thing I would like to know. If the rear wheel is misaligned, say 2 to 3 notches different in the cam gear, would it cause bad effects on the chain and sprocket ?
Regards Adrian
Adrian,
The main purpose of the cams is to keep the front and rear wheel tracking along the same line as well as maintaining an adequate drive chain tension. There have been many reports of complete alignment being achieved only when the cam tooth counts were unequal. This may be the case on some bikes and as such , assuming correct chain tension ( 1/2 " play with a loaded rear suspension) and front - rear wheel alignment ( handlebar dead straight and using a string to check for alignment) is perfect, the notch count should not matter. The drive chain has some side to side play and will accommodate a slight misalignment. Check for one of the sides showing shine on the inner face to get a better idea. If the bike has had a hard fall or has ever hit a pothole very hard , the swing arm may be bent or misaligned and can cause such issues. Sprocket and chain if misaligned to a great extent will reflect in a lot of drag when freewheeling as well as a 'tic -tic' sound if the wheel is turned by hand with the bike in neutral and on blocks.
Regards.
Naren
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 01:20   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Went through a lot of these pages in detail and made me feel like jumping out at this hour and getting the bike. I have been an avid bullet fan, and probably someday, may get myself to buy one for fun riding. A friend of mine who owns quite a bit of luxury cars, recently took out an application to buy a bullet (kinda shocked me that he was looking to buy a bike), which had some waiting period and a token number of sorts, Finally, when his turn was almost near ,he got fed up and gave the token to a friend and he bought the Electra

But the Classic in the green colour is the best so far and is the colour thats stands true to its name
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 10:02   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexanerax View Post
Adrian,
The main purpose of the cams is to keep the front and rear wheel tracking along the same line as well as maintaining an adequate drive chain tension. There have been many reports of complete alignment being achieved only when the cam tooth counts were unequal. This may be the case on some bikes and as such , assuming correct chain tension ( 1/2 " play with a loaded rear suspension) and front - rear wheel alignment ( handlebar dead straight and using a string to check for alignment) is perfect, the notch count should not matter. The drive chain has some side to side play and will accommodate a slight misalignment. Check for one of the sides showing shine on the inner face to get a better idea. If the bike has had a hard fall or has ever hit a pothole very hard , the swing arm may be bent or misaligned and can cause such issues. Sprocket and chain if misaligned to a great extent will reflect in a lot of drag when freewheeling as well as a 'tic -tic' sound if the wheel is turned by hand with the bike in neutral and on blocks.
Regards.
Naren
Thanks again Naren, Good to have you guys in TBHP
Regards Adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 22:51   #1433
Senior - BHPian

@Classic86- If I do it that way then I will end up paying GST 13%(tax slab in Ontario)+postage on every single part plus it will make it near impossible to register as they need some kind of papers/title to know where you purchased the engine and frame.

@thedreamcatcher- Yup agree with you on the colour. It stands out from the crowd and truly goes with the classic theme. I can still admire this bike hours at stretch just like the early days of ownership.
Old 10th March 2011, 10:26   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Can you please post a pic of his bike and ask him if he got the wires changed or the same were used?
How about a handlebar like HD Iron 883?
No he did not changed the wires. TBTS already has got enough length for all cables.
virtualhemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:16   #1435
BHPian

Ok i have a 2002 TB not TBTS but i guess it doesn't make any difference . Can you post a pic of his bike?
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 23:33   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Ever wondered why our UCE runs darn hot compared to CI!!

I always wondered why our engines run so hot and side covers are untouchable in summers after a 20min ride While Ci runs way too cooler compared to UCE. Just got my answer by looking at this picture.

Name:  c.jpg
Views: 7997
Size:  68.5 KB

How could RE design such a thing, they really lost something in the new engine which predecessor was way ahead in. Thats simply a design flaw, don't think designers were good at thermal efficiency & cooling part.
Old 11th March 2011, 09:19   #1437
BHPian

Quote:

I always wondered why our engines run so hot and side covers are untouchable in summers after a 20min ride While Ci runs way too cooler compared to UCE. Just got my answer by looking at this picture.

Attachment 515133

How could RE design such a thing, they really lost something in the new engine which predecessor was way ahead in. Thats simply a design flaw, don't think designers were good at thermal efficiency & cooling part.
I guess by that you mean the area of cylinder block through which heat dissipates. Am i right?
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 10:36   #1438
BHPian

Just learned from my dealer that RE have gone back on technology (according to him) on the C5 having installed rockers in the valve train (as RE's have had traditionally), rather than CAM system on UCE 350 engine on the TBTS. Was this intended to maintain the "Classic character" of the bike or cost cutting..?
Anybody listening ???? Any views !!!

@ Randhawa: Any company would have split decisions to make on such issues, which involve aesthetics (recommended by the Marketing /designing wing of the company) and quality engineering (recommended by engineering wing of the company). Harley Davidson V Rod is one such example where placement of petrol tank was compromised as per the "will" of their designing arm. Apart from this the engine is extreemly cramped as compared to air cooled engines of RE which the purist do not like at all (as they find any kind of "wrenching" on this bike time consuming and painful.

Coming back to RE, I suppose the hotter side covers could also be because the oil flow in this bike is much higher than traditional REs, hence oil may be circulating before cooling down completely. Secondly Primary oil is separate on the older versions as compared to this one. Hence I feel untill you can do high speed cruising all day long without loosing oil or efficiency of the engine, I am happy.

Last edited by bradhey : 11th March 2011 at 10:45.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 10:52   #1439
Senior - BHPian

@Ricky- Yup that's what I mean.

@- You have either misunderstood your dealer or he was misinforming you.

All UCE engines are same, weather be 350 or 500. UCE engine is a pushrod, long stroke design which uses cams to push the rods to move the rockers hence moving the valves.

RE has purposely kept the old design to give engine the same thumping characteristic and keep the old school thing going.
Old 11th March 2011, 19:30   #1440
BHPian

Post Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:

Attachment 515133

It is the common oil circuit more than anything else ( the power output also - More power = more energy= higher temps). Hot oil from the engine circulates through the gearbox and the valve-train increasing the temperature of those areas quite a lot. The standard engines have 3 separate lubricant paths and effectively segregates the heat to the head , timing cover and crankcase.There is a paper gasket between the Cast Iron Cylinder and the crankcase , decreasing heat transfer in the old engines. I have nor personally seen the head or cylinder gaskets of the UCE and Randhawa who has a lot more experience in the internalsof the new engine , could brief us on the type and material of the head and cylinder gaskets , allowing us to understand heat flow better. Aluminum has a better thermal conductivity than cast Iron and heat transfer through the cylinder will be faster on the UCE, increasing temperatures faster. The higher compression ratio also increases combustion temperature and delivers more energy ( which on paper is 5 BHP more than an old CI 500 ). This engine has more cooling area in the head fins as compared to the old design and at speed will shed heat faster than the old design. The oil also helps in dissipating heat from the head and cylinder into other parts of the engine which is good in my opinion. The higher oil flow rate also helps in this. My lightning 535 suffers the same heating issues and radiates heat to a degree that is scary.

Regards
Naren
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote