Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th March 2011, 06:17   #1456
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

HI all just finished 2000 kms on my C500

Few things that has been bothering me after i did a thorough check up yesterday

1.There seems to be oil leakage from both the engine covers RH chain cover lower bottom and LH upper side of the crank cover ,I know RE engines mark their territory and is famous for that,I wanted to know if its the same for all UCE engines aswell.

2.I tried to hit 100 km/hr and to my astonishment the bull started vibrating like mad.It was to an extent that I had to reduce the speed immediately as I thought that it would go off balance.Anything specific that I need to check on ie:the wheel alignment,engine mountings etc..

3.The rear brake pedal seems to go lower and lower very fast,is that the brake pads are wearing out soon or the adjustment nut go loose a lil bit ?

4.Whats the approx mileage that i should be getting at this point if I ride at an approx speed between 60-80 km/hr,currently I think im getting close to 28km/ltr is it ok?
epvineesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 11:02   #1457
BHPian

Randhawa: Thanks for your time and effort in studying this issue and trying to resolve it. I will have these issues checked on the next service which will be done in the presence of the RE engineer. I am sorry but till that time, we will have to wait....!
P.S. I got your PM......I have a set (2 pcs) of very slightly used PIP gaskets. Would it help ?

EPVineesh:
1. Oil from RH lower side is chain lube, in all probability. Wipe that area and check again. From LH side "crank cover" is not clear....can you post a photo... If it is from a raised aluminium section next to the starter motor, it is nothing to worry, as you will have to open that part, clean its surface and put some liquid gasket (available at dealerships) and replace it carefully.
2. What you have suggested as vibrations is actually oscillation at high speed. This is one huge disappointment with the handling of the C5 and is its major drawback. The rear swing arm in C5 develops a play due to badly designed swing arm assembly, and hence this problem. Let us know whether your bike has 19" front wheel or 18" ?? This issue will require complete balancing of the Chassis of the C5 to resolve it. However this has to be done again and again, once you make any changes in its setup. But once everything is balanced, it works quite beautifully.
3. Lowering of rear brake could well be due to brake pads (get them checked) and rear wheel cush drive rubber pads......
4. Approximate mileage should be around 28 to 34 kmpl on the C5....!

We have all gone through what you are, but you will get there soon You will have to adapt to the bike rather than expect it to adapt to your driving style.

I see no reason to loose your sleep over the above issues...get them resolved and enjoy your ride. Cheer mate !!

Last edited by bradhey : 16th March 2011 at 11:04.
bradhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 14:09   #1458
BHPian

Guys,
any news on the Indian release of the other variants of UCE 500? Randhawa had mentioned that the Chrome and standard 500 was about to come out soon. Also the T-Bird 500 was also in the pipeline...
Am particularly interested in the Standard 500 with the classic black tank with pinstripes..

Thanks,
Puffy.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 15:40   #1459
Senior - BHPian

@epvineesh- Is your bike fitted with 18 or 19 front tyre? Get the swing arm nut tightened if it's loose. Your average is fine and expect to get a bit more in due course.

@Bradhey- Elaborate PIP gaskets!

@Puffy- New versions were expected by april but may be delayed further due to re-mapping of the ECU in progress.
Randhawa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 16:32   #1460
BHPian

PIP gasket is your exhaust pipe / head gasket......!! The one we discussed in our PMs

Last edited by bradhey : 16th March 2011 at 16:33.
Old 16th March 2011, 21:46   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Aren't the ones you have from C3?
Randhawa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 23:50   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epvineesh View Post
HI all just finished 2000 kms on my C500

Few things that has been bothering me after i did a thorough check up yesterday

1.There seems to be oil leakage from both the engine covers RH chain cover lower bottom and LH upper side of the crank cover ,I know RE engines mark their territory and is famous for that,I wanted to know if its the same for all UCE engines aswell.

2.I tried to hit 100 km/hr and to my astonishment the bull started vibrating like mad.It was to an extent that I had to reduce the speed immediately as I thought that it would go off balance.Anything specific that I need to check on ie:the wheel alignment,engine mountings etc..

3.The rear brake pedal seems to go lower and lower very fast,is that the brake pads are wearing out soon or the adjustment nut go loose a lil bit ?

4.Whats the approx mileage that i should be getting at this point if I ride at an approx speed between 60-80 km/hr,currently I think im getting close to 28km/ltr is it ok?
Hi,
Good to see the miles piling up. One small word of caution is due here, Make sure that you increase your speed slowly and in stages. Most run in if done by the book, would be at 40-50 KMPH. If you suddenly try to push to 100 and above without staging a run in through 70 , 80 KMPH and so on , there is a chance that you may have some excessive wear and heating issues. The suggested method of run in is to keep pushing the speeds up in short bursts and vary the speed and the gear constantly. Subjecting the engine to a varying load and occasional high RPM bursts will help all moving parts readjust and bed down correctly.

Regards
Naren
hexanerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 08:53   #1463
BHPian

@ bradhey - Thanks mate ,I totally know where you coming from when u say that u got to get adjust with her riding rather that vice versa,im now beginning to compare it like having a wife,no matter what she is or how she is u got to adjust to her temperament the tire in the front is 19"

I have attached the pics of the oil leaks,hope this would suffice to know what its all about !

@Randhawa - I will have the swing arm nuts checked asap,thanks.Im running on 19" tires on the front

@ Naren aka hexanerax - hey buddy not sure how you would like to be addressed thanks for the info,regularly i dont like to hit more than 60-70 as its still in the run in period,but at times you feel that thrust to go beyond jut a teenee wennee bit hehe ,Its not that I run at 100km/hr all the time.but like they say in those Mountain dew ads,"darr key aagey jeet hai" that feeling kinda comes to you and tend to go a bit overboard at times.I was concerned on the vibration coz i know this babe can touch 130+ from all that i have read during the past few weeks but im definetly now going that far till i run atleast 5000-6000 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-imag_0103.jpg  

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-imag_0104.jpg  

Old 17th March 2011, 10:51   #1464
BHPian

epvineesh: As understood from your description earlier, the pictures confirm, what I thought was the reason for the leaks. These are no major issues. The chain will soil the area shown in your first picture, untill its new or whenever you oil it too much (by the way never do it, as the lube from the chain will get sprayed on your silencer, and change its colour to golden). The second photo shows oil that may be coming out of the starter drive housing (the raised aluminium cover in your 2nd picture) or the primary cover (LH aluminium cover in which your clutch plates are installed).....!
Get both these panels removed on your next service or earlier as may be the case, and get them applied with new silicon sealant (liquid gasket). That should take care of the problem.

Very sorry to learn that inspite of the 19" upgrade your bike shakes badly. This is RE engineering at its worst.......if they can't resolve such an issue...they better not call themselves engineers. This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. There is no use of even writing about this to RE, as they have no solution for this issue. TOO BAD

Updates for All: RE has replaced the standard handle bar from the C5 with a new slightly raised one, but still flat drag race type bar. Found it wee bit more comfortable than the existing one.

Last edited by bradhey : 17th March 2011 at 10:53.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:16   #1465
Senior - BHPian

The handlebar change not reflected in the C350? I could really use a more comfortable handlebar!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 11:49   #1466
BHPian

[quote=Rennjit;2275741

Along the same lines of internal differences wrt UCE engines, i read somewhere that Std 350 runs the same crankshaft unit from C5 & hence has weight advantage over rest 350's. Though unlikely, is there any chance that its right?

.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post

@Rennjit- Yup you are right Std crank is heavy and thats why the kick dog issue is present on Std UCE bullets manufactured between November - december 2010. As crank was too heavy for the quality stricken kick dog to take the brunt.
Hi friends and experts, fell out of the loop for a couple of days and is happily back.
The said factor + the 15 T rear sprocket may be the reason that my STD machine is not lugging @ 40 kms in 5th.
Regards Adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 13:29   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
The handlebar change not reflected in the C350? I could really use a more comfortable handlebar!
Install the LB500 handle bar.Its a blessing for the Classic.I have ridden a classic with the LB500 handle for a long 200Kms+ journey.It makes things very comfortable.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 13:48   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Install the LB500 handle bar.Its a blessing for the Classic.I have ridden a classic with the LB500 handle for a long 200Kms+ journey.It makes things very comfortable.
+1 on that. Might have to mod the bar to take end weights.
bludhemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 16:47   #1469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Thats awesome Navpreet ...I will start hunting for the LB500 handlebars as soon as i can,btw how bout a RD handle bar would it go well with the C500 ?
Old 17th March 2011, 16:59   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludhemn View Post
+1 on that. Might have to mod the bar to take end weights.

Absolutely not.The original RE LB 500 bar comes with bar end weight attachment.Everything is in place.its a bolt on job.I am not talking about the aftermarket bars.Original RE bars.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote