Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd January 2010, 17:13   #1
BHPian

Default What do I do of my 10 year old CBZ?

I have a 2000 model CBZ. It will complete 10 years in Nov 2010. The bike is still somehow holding on but is in a very precarious condition. The thing is that the engine has been hauled thrice already. Now the tepid setting just doesn't remain in place. Because of that, the engine releases smoke sometimes. The shock absorbers have also become very rattling. I like the ride of the bike very much though. What should I do of the bike? Should I sell it off and get another one, or should I spend 3 or 4 thousand Rs. extra and get it repaired with new parts? Will it last me for atleast a year if I spend so much?
Maximum_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I've to first congratulate you for maintaining the bike for 10 years. Its really amazing to see someone possessing a CBZ for 10 years. Hope you're very much passionate & have lots of sentiments towards it.

If I were you & if I don't have any sentiments, I would trade this bike off for a new one. Again, this depends upon how much strong you're financially. If I do have sentiments & I'm strong financially, I would restore the bike to mint (kind of antique posession for pride) & then buy a new one based on my budget. If I do have sentiments & not financially strong, then its obvious that I'll be restoring it.

Also, you've mentioned a period of 1 year, looks to me that you're awaiting for some new release of your dream bike. If that's the case, then I would suggest you to keep this repaired for whatever lowest possible to run for another 1 year & then realize your dream.

Good luck with your choice.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 18:38   #3
BHPian

I have lots and lots of sentiments attached to this bike. From a highky dangerous accident to 3 love stories, I've seen a lot on this bike. I always tell my fiancee, you are not my first wife, and she immediately understands what I'm talking about. She asks, "Its your bike right?" I think in that respect I would always prefer to restore the bike.
Old 22nd January 2010, 18:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
I have lots and lots of sentiments attached to this bike. From a highky dangerous accident to 3 love stories, I've seen a lot on this bike. I always tell my fiancee, you are not my first wife, and she immediately understands what I'm talking about. She asks, "Its your bike right?" I think in that respect I would always prefer to restore the bike.
I know this feeling. This is my Splendour which I had acquired in October of 1999 and still going strong after one engine siezure. Has completed more than a lakh and a half kms but still craving for more.

Despite of having a 1983 Std 350 and the CL500 in the pipeline, I can never even think of parting with her.

"RESTORE THE CBZ", because the money you will fetch by selling her will be peanuts as compared to the feeling of riding her 5 years down the line.
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do of my 10 year old CBZ?-dsc01954.jpg  

mantrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:12   #5
BHPian

I was in doubt till now. But now I'm clear in my head. I'll just keep my baby, till the end.

@mantrig - Your argument about peanuts of resale price makes a lot of sense. It just better to own the bike with pride rather than sell it off for peanuts.
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

how about some pics of yur bike ..

this will help fellow members to comment
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I guess you don't have a choice here . Restore the CBZ & if possible, restore it to mint & then enjoy the rides, afterall bikes also need to have retirement life isn't it? Buy a new one for regular rides.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 15:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Retain the bike, buy all the parts and restore it, its not that costly and still spares are available.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 16:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I have lots and lots of sentiments attached to this bike... 3 love stories, I've seen a lot on this bike.
Now that you are engaged, how about passing on this lucky bike to someone not so lucky in the love department.

On a serious note, I own a 98 model Yamaha RXZ. I can totally understand the sentiments involved. My suggestion would be to get it repaired and maintain it in good condition.

Don't sell it unless there is a serious financial or parking constraint.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 23rd January 2010 at 16:51.
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 17:07   #10
BHPian

You first have to decide on whether you're going to repair it and use it as a daily drive or not. If you're going to, then i guess it should last for another year and a half, max. If you're not going to, then you'll have to work out the costs and decide if it is worth repairing.

My suggestion - since it has its own sentimental value, restore it to showroom condition, use it as a weekend bike, and if budget permits, get a new bike for your daily chores.

Last edited by rg_chn : 23rd January 2010 at 17:08.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 17:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

like others have said before me, if you've strong feelings for the bike, hold on it it. i'm emotionally attached to my CBZ - saved up my own money and got her! the first big thing from own hard earned money she's done 71k kms and she'll be 10yrs young on Oct. 6th 2010.

even today she looks mint condition (even though a few upgrades were made) and i use her regularly (alternate with the Getz we have).

here she is - my pride and joy!
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 19:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2000 model CBZ. It will complete 10 years in Nov 2010. The bike is still somehow holding on but is in a very precarious condition. The thing is that the engine has been hauled thrice already. Now the tepid setting just doesn't remain in place. Because of that, the engine releases smoke sometimes. The shock absorbers have also become very rattling. I like the ride of the bike very much though. What should I do of the bike? Should I sell it off and get another one, or should I spend 3 or 4 thousand Rs. extra and get it repaired with new parts? Will it last me for atleast a year if I spend so much?
Ten years is nothing too much if at least the integrity of the chassis is not in question. If anybody has any doubts, they can have a look at my Shogun. If it is rust free and has no alignment issues, you should be able to spruce things up at a reasonable cost. The big advantage in your favor is that genuine parts should not be difficult to source. Expect nothing less than like-new performance after you do the job.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 19:58   #13
BHPian

the bike looks fantastic, extremely well maintained

and after reading your posts, i will suggest what the other have said, keep her!
ishotmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 20:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

restore her. this was one of the 1st sport bikes available in india & it looked so good compared to others. get black alloys, discs & a good color.

this is a bike one doesn't find anymore which is simple, powerful & macho.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 13:39   #15
BHPian

well buddy you can keep the bike and your son/grandson can use it as vintage bike
dar3dev|l is offline   Reply With Quote