Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th April 2013, 23:02   #31
Default Re: Honda Unicorn, engine overhaul done, costs.

Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
My 2004 unicorns odometer shows 35000, but it had done closer to 42-44 k kms.

Now the problem im facing since 2 months. Clutch is weak, hence pick up is not as good. Needs change. 3rd gear results in a loud hemming sort of sound. the engine area next to the rear brake pedal gets super hot these days even with proper idling and riding slowly in city speeds.

Is the engine's time up? My mechanic says it's drinking oil but no compression loss and can last another 10k if ridden sedately. And what about the oil filter? Even the HASS guys do not clean it at every interval.
Check the valve timer, valve gasket.... if nothing work out check the fuel tank blockage and change spark plug. Go for engine overhaul only if issues are not settled with minor repairs
arjun_b2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 18:00   #32
Default Re: Honda Unicorn, engine overhaul done, costs.

I bought Honda Unicorn in the year 2012 and it has clocked 32000 kms. The other day near Sriperumbudur on NH 4 I was trying to take the bike beyond 80 kph and the bike after touching 90 kph started giving this weird sound.
Drove back in the evening to Chennai city and took the bike to Kun Honda service in Adyar. They checked the vehicle and informed that the estimate would be in the range of 11,000 to 12,000 rupees as bore piston needs repair. I was in for the shock of my life.
I bought Honda for its sheer engine quality and refinement levels, and overhaul of engine at dismal 32000 kms is certainly not good. Having said that, after reading through the posts on the forum it seems Unicorns are not lasting the distance beyond 40,000 kms and warrants engine overhaul.
Prior to my purchase of Unicorn, I had passion pro which I drove till 35,000 kms without any fuss. I sold just because it had met with an accident. When earlier engines of Hero Honda were piloted by the Honda engines, how come when Honda started their own manufacturing of bike, was supplied of sub standard engines.
I am on my way to the Honda service center to take delivery of my bike after repair and I am being informed that the total bill is of Rs 8,000. I will post my comments after driving the bike for few weeks.
MDED is offline   Reply With Quote