Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th January 2010, 22:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Atleast technology wise, Bajaj has tried to give us some technology in lower price point and is a success as we all know.

Technology--even Yamaha's puny 150's are giving their bigger Pulsars a run for their money,and they plan to introduce it phase wise, FI once(flopped), now thinking of 4 valves and what does that 2 spark plug do which a single plug motorcycle can't do?

The unit is straight from 80's IIRC and still is selling so well. This is a dream for any manufacturer.

it is and will continue so

Bajaj did try earlier since Wind 125 to make 125cc the next 100 segment, but market wont agree with that. So they are coming back again to 100cc. I believe that is CT100 was not discontinued, then Bajaj would still be very near to No.1 it earlier was. Bajaj was bold enough to come up with XCD125, but again market acceptance has to be there.

XCD 125, most horrible motorcycle in every terms to have graced the market, glad that even XCD 135 and Platina 125 stopped production

As far as HH goes, I too want it to go down the drain.

same here

If Uni had not failed, then I am sure that the 150cc motor would have never made to HH.

are you sure? the Uni is the most steady seller of 150 lot and many people have sold their spoked Uni's to buy alloy wheeled ones and again are waiting for a launch

Honda has plans to stop tech transfer to HH and beat down HH. But even Honda is surprised by HH's strong grip over 100cc segment. It goes down to reputation here.

let the CB twister come out

But for a moment, think of those whose only single vehicle is a bike. The bike as to reliable, low maintenance, wide After sales and service network with reasonably priced spares, and reasonable FE.
Splendor has built on this reputation, and Passion followed. Most of the buyers want a bike that has proved itself, is not heavy on maintenance, has one of the best A.S & S. of all two wheeler manufactuerers, so what will the customer ask for ?
The 100cc offerings from HH meet all the requirements for a typical 100cc buyer and is the best overall buy in 100cc segment.

so true
the future market will be ruled by Honda(general) and Yamaha(niche)

and does it really matter whether HH became no.1? gave us a shoddy styled ZMR, Karizma was/is way better and on top that a certain actor was advertising the motorcycle which had two silencers(have a close look at the advert), they know their target customer too well

Last edited by Sheel : 29th January 2010 at 22:39.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 22:52   #17
BHPian

Default Misleading

Hero Honda as usual is misleading with clever phrasing of words. Please note that it's "World's largest two wheeler manufacturer" or "World No.1 two wheeler company", meaning CD 100 or splendor is single largest manufactured two wheeler in the world. No way it is world's largest manufacturer of two wheelers.
kreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 23:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

And I'm yet to see a good 150cc bike from HH which can compete with Pulser!!
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 14:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameern.85 View Post
Hi Guys...
I think Bajaj is more concentrating on 125/ 135 cc category as it gives a perfect blend of power and mileage... Discover and Pulsar 135 are such examples... I agree with fellow bhpian - RX 135 on this the HH are not doing anything 'radical'... look @ Bajaj, the have got the Kawasaki Ninja and looking to get KTM as well.
However, HH main market which is rural India still swears by the brand as opposed to like of Bajaj/ Yamaha et al and I think this contributes to its sales of 100cc bikes.
The perception has already changed in the metros where young collegians and even working professionals are opting for Yamaha touring and snazzier looking 2 wheelers.
HH may survive the battle, but if they dont change soon, they may end up losing the war...

Cheers...
I think Bajaj is getting into 135 market as it has realized it cant beat HH in 100cc segment. good for them..

Yamaha on the other hand is nothing but disappointment. sure it can woo the college going kids by snazzy looking bikes, but they dont have anything for enthusiasts. Fazer was literally a joke! putting that big fairing on already underpowered 150cc mill and calling it a tourer! And just see how its priced, over pulsar 220 and Karizma -some of the most capable bikes in the market!

And regarding the need for HH to change, people said the same thing 10 years back, then 5 years back, infact everytime some other manufacturer brings in something new, but HH is NOT changing and still posting amazing results.. something others (who are considered change agents) are finding difficult to do.. all one can say is way to go HH...
iamkapilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 14:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
And I'm yet to see a good 150cc bike from HH which can compete with Pulser!!
Well.. then you have missed CBZ Xtreme. Its not a looker, but has much better handling and you can really feel the torque, which is missing from most 150cc bikes. Infact, bikes with even slightly bigger engines dont give that feel!
iamkapilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 17:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
Well.. then you have missed CBZ Xtreme. Its not a looker, but has much better handling and you can really feel the torque, which is missing from most 150cc bikes. Infact, bikes with even slightly bigger engines dont give that feel!
The problem with the CBZ Xtreme is ride quality. When I was in college which happens to be till 2009, I had experienced CBZ Xtreme and used to ride some of them. Initial success levels were quite good ( as I am not sure of current sales ).

Ride quality was really bad. And I am the one who earlier had Caliber ( original 7.7 bhp one, the Unshakable ) which again had a bit stiff setup. My current ride ( not used much ) is Zeus, which again has stiff setup. But Xtreme has stiffer setup than both. Hunk is a better option. The original CBZ was the best when it came to ride and handling compromise.

The current crown for good handling + good ride is with Pulsar and Apache series. Both of them have good ride + good handling.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 20:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you have forgot about Hunk. It is a combination of everything. The ride quality is superb because of gas charged rear shocks, which CBZ extreme lacks. The handling is also better than CBZ Xtreme. Though looks are subjective, Hunk has got very good looks. Hunk is an all rounder and it beats P150 comfortably in all departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
gave us a shoddy styled ZMR, Karizma was/is way better and on top that a certain actor was advertising the motorcycle which had two silencers (have a close look at the advert), they know their target customer too well
Look the ad again closely. There are no two silencers. Only one silencer on left side. That particuarly shot was a mirror image; hence, the silencer was on left side.

ZMR is the best tourer, how much ever you criticize it; combination of power enough for indian highways with superb fuel efficiency that puts wide smile on the face of a tourer. May be the engine is old, but still it is the most reliable and refined which does the duty better than any other engines of competitors.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 30th January 2010 at 20:24.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 22:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I And just see how its priced, over pulsar 220 and Karizma -some of the most capable bikes in the market!
and see how it is selling?sales fig should give you a good picture,
Quote:
Only one silencer on left side.
can be expected of HH
Quote:
ZMR is the best tourer, how much ever you criticize it; combination of power enough for indian highways with superb fuel efficiency that puts wide smile on the face of a tourer. May be the engine is old, but still it is the most reliable and refined which does the duty better than any other engines of competitors.
refinement and reliability-Yamaha R15 has an upper edge

my gaskets of 'zma used to get cut and oil started to leak pretty frequently(high rpm usage)

IMHO Karizma-R is the best tourer along with P-220(after reduced price)

Last edited by Sheel : 30th January 2010 at 22:15.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote