Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd February 2010, 22:35   #16
BHPian

Default Bullet!

If you are a fan of Bullet, then Electra is a way ahead. Of course If you really are a Bullet fan then you would not consider the other options.

Among the other options, I find the FZ as a very good option as handling is excellent.

But as a Bullet owner I would recommend the Electra. Nothing to beat that.
But there are 2 concerns.
1. Electra costs around 98K (on road Mumbai)
2. Std and Electra are no longer available (atleast in Mumbai showrooms the brochure does not feature these)

My friend has bought a new FZ and I am very much impressed with it. The Yamaha engine is very much refined.

Also FZ is within your budget.
subushady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:22   #17
BHPian

i am vary much a fan of bulls my friend!!! i am just concerned about maintaining it.. in case i were to buy an electra (assuming i can still get a new one) what are the problems i could/will face???
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the P220 F version. I prefer functionality over looks and hence i choose the F over the S for its awesome projector headlamps.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:07   #19
BHPian

I suggest you to go with either YAMAHA FAZER / TVS Apache RTR 180...
sunilchakola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have heard that Hunk is going come in "FI" version with digital speedometer and LED taillamps. Should be good!
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 15:15   #21
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
Agree 100%. Bulls are utterly out of their element in the city.
Disagree here. Its all about riding the bull correctly. The electra is a good choice and is very easy to ride. I own a 500 cc Cast iron bull and ride it without a problem 50 -55 kms a day in the city. You will look forward to even a small stretch of open road to cruise on the bull. the feeling is unparalleled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
if its going to be used for daily commute try the RTR 180 its an amazing city slicker and mid range is better than 220.
and stay away from bulls unless you plan to go touring on it
And if you are at any point planning to ride long rides on a bike, the bull is the only way to go. my advice though is to change the seat to a split one ( not to expensive) and keep trippin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
i am vary much a fan of bulls my friend!!! i am just concerned about maintaining it.. in case i were to buy an electra (assuming i can still get a new one) what are the problems i could/will face???
the main problems with the bull would be the run in period. you need to be very careful during this period. there are many threads in this forum telling you the best way to do this. other than this, oil leakages , engine noise etc would be there, but the new bikes are showing lesser and lesser of this issue.

finally, the point is that if you like a thumper, there is simply no other bike that you can enjoy riding. you can however drive other bikes temporarily, you will come back to the bull.
bring on the flak guys!
deepikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 17:59   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You should try out the Karizma, not the new one though. I own the first model and I simply salute HH for the reliability+usability of that thing be it touring, city riding, short and brisk rides to Lonavala and back.

My riding buddy owns a P220 and in my opinion it is a very uncomfortable bike that some some serious reliability issues as well. May be it was just his bike, but once all his electricals failed because of rain and he couldnt even start the bike. Again this might have been a unique case but I couldnt help but mention it.

The Fz-16 is something that I admire a lot, its a good bike for daily use.

As far as the Royal Enfileds are concerned, I personally dont like them a bit. Plus its a fact that they are high maintainance bikes.
kunal781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 18:10   #23
BHPian

Don't buy a bullet if you dont really LOVE them. Newer bikes are way better (in every way) than bullets. And cheaper too!

I bought a new Machismo 350 and sold it about 2 years later.

Of course, if you want to do long distance riding, you could consider them. The ZMA is good at touring too I have heard.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 22:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Bulls require a lot of care and attention. It requires a lot of patience. You should actually love your Bull and appreciate it. Again Patience is a key. Do not expect to have a Fill it - Shut it - Forget it kind of thing here. It is not like other bikes.

But then riding a Bull in an open road is something that cannot be compared.

If you are sure about the patience and time that you have, then go for the Electra or any Bull and you will surely not regret, but if you want a bike for style and zapping around the city quickly then go for FZ/Fazer.

What ever you buy, follow your heart. All the best!
subushady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 23:05   #25
BHPian

im in a state of intense confusion guys!! so intense that i know that i gonna regret not buying one bike if i buy the other!!
the main two bikes on my list as of now are the Yamaha Fazer and the RE ELECTRA.
if i am to buy the Electra, i want to be absolutely sure that i can handle all the squeaks and niggles she can throw at me. could you guys post the links to the threads??

will also test ride the HH ZMA this weekend, and will give the RTR 180 a try aswell.
thanks a lot for your inputs guys!! youve been really helpful!!
Cheers!!
Old 5th February 2010, 00:42   #26
BHPian

Production of Electra, Machismo and Standard is stopped. RE's all models are going to be upgraded to UCE engine by April. Soon bookings will open. I own CL350 and believe me it is as reliable as any Pulsar or FZ. You can find it yourself.
Go book yourself a UCE-RE and keep thumping rest of your life with absolutely zero regrets .
RECL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 19:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECL350 View Post
Production of Electra, Machismo and Standard is stopped. RE's all models are going to be upgraded to UCE engine by April. Soon bookings will open. I own CL350 and believe me it is as reliable as any Pulsar or FZ. You can find it yourself.
Go book yourself a UCE-RE and keep thumping rest of your life with absolutely zero regrets .
as much as i love bullets, i CANNOT exceed the 80k budget!! unfortunately the classic 350/500 is way over my budget!! will look for an used RE electra in good shape if possible..
Cheers!!
Old 5th February 2010, 20:03   #28
BHPian

Default How about a Karizma?

The Pulsar basically came out in competition to CBZ. I haven't really rode the Pulsra too much but I do find its handling less stable than Hero Honda bikes. I have even heard a lot of my frinds complaining of the gear box becoming really rough pretty soon.

I also hear talks about the bike being front heavy in this discussion.

As far as balance and handling is concerned, i feel there can be nothing better than hero Honda Bikes. Besides Hero Honda bikes require lesser maintenance. They can serve both the city riding and Highway riding very efficiently. Why don't you consider a Karizma? At 225 cc it beats Pulsar 220.
Maximum_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 20:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
im in a state of intense confusion guys!! so intense that i know that i gonna regret not buying one bike if i buy the other!!
the main two bikes on my list as of now are the Yamaha Fazer and the RE ELECTRA.
Well! It can't be that difficult. You can be either a Yamaha guy or a Bullet guy.

Other than the fact that both are motorcycles, they are as different in character as a chalk and a cheese. Yamaha is all for vroom-vroom riding, mainly for its handling and refined rev-happy engine. Bullet is all about persona AKA machoism AKA thump and leisurely cruise. While a true biker would love to ride both; in a long run, he would always prefer to ride one over the other.

They are very different, so think hard about what suits you best and then take the plunge. Don't care too much about niggles and A/S/S. There are enough of bullets and Yamahas on the road and for long time too.

You should be riding what you love to ride and not love what you are riding.

My 2 cents!
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 20:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
At 225 cc it beats Pulsar 220.
Well my friend, its 223 cc of Zma vs 220 of Pulsar which is not a very big difference actually. And most of the point about Pulsar's you have heard is right to an extent. But the 220 is quite improved and the most powerful Indian bike barring the Ninja which is anyways by Kawasaki.
Yes the 220 does have it niggles which I guess most of the HH bikes have too. Eg: The Zma's plastics are pathetic specially the rear cowls as per the feed back here on T-Bhp.
No bike is perfect so you have to make a good compromise on budget vs requirement.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote