Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 31st August 2012, 14:44   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Please suggest a new Bike for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
P.s how good is your FZ16 on the hills? Do you find the R15 a better handler or the FZ with its fat rear tyre? Also do you feel comfortable riding the R15 on long distances or the FZ?
R15 was good on the straights but like i said, my knees were fouling with the fairing which was a tad bit uncomfortable. But seeing my friend take the ghat section of Madikeri with a saddle bag, i was astounded. It was rider input for sure but the way he was so comfortably leaning with a saddle bag on board and looking at the way the bike was holding its line, was a revelation about the handling capabilities of the R15.

My FZ16 story was an anticlimax. Landed with a lemon from the dealer. To cut a long story short, i booked my loses and sold it after 3.5 months and 4500kms. Switched to an RTR180 and have been enjoying it for the last 1 year and 16000kms. Coming to grip levels, FZ16 was amazing and i learnt the meaning of cornering on this bike. The confidence it inspires in corners to lean is only limited by rider ability and not the bike's ability.

The main thing i would say is that the bike has to be set up correctly at the factory. The Yamaha service centers in Bangalore are not useful to fix any issues barring the regular service of the bike at least the FZ16. I visited 5-6 different service centers in Bangalore and 2 centers in Coorg without any luck to sort out the issues.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 31st August 2012 at 14:45.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 14:55   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
R15 was good on the straights but like i said, my knees were fouling with the fairing which was a tad bit uncomfortable. But seeing my friend take the ghat section of Madikeri with a saddle bag, i was astounded. It was rider input for sure but the way he was so comfortably leaning with a saddle bag on board and looking at the way the bike was holding its line, was a revelation about the handling capabilities of the R15.
Have a look at my dear friend Meghan Naik doing this on his way to Leh.

Pic courtesy : Meghan Naik. Shot by Carlo Mayer
Attached Images

Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 14:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Have a look at my dear friend Meghan Naik doing this on his way to Leh.
What i witnessed is not even close to this. Now this gentleman should be a very skilled rider to put his knee down with all that luggage!!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 15:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
The bank loan option seems better as it is more flexible in the duration. What would you advise on this matter? Others also feel free to chip in here.

I am now looking to go for the R15 itself, but will TD the Duke and NS nonetheless. I got in touch with Perfect Riders lalbagh road. The on road prices quoted by the dealers is same. Rs 1,33,202/-.

My question is why this price difference. Is there any possibilty of getting the dealer to agree on the gaadi.com price? What is the extra 5000/- for? Can someone give me an idea about this?
1. Bank loans - I would say, give a try in SBI.They have bike loans and are hassle free during repayment. Check other banks too, they are usually very friendly in giving loans and are not so while paying back. but, since you say the Yamaha finance is not flexible, then why get into that headache inthe first place? You always have better options directly in bank.

Extra 5000 I guess handling charges and RTO charges(under the table stuff!). Not sure though. In chennai, I paid 1500 extra for mine(suzuki 150R).
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 16:55   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
Are you serious? What makes you think R15 is not for highways? Save for lugging pillion & off-roading, R15's (both versions) own the Karizma brothers. Braking, Handling, Acceleration, Top speed, fuel economy, you name it and it does better.
This is not to offend R15 owners & I am not a Honda fan and
Yes, once again I reiterate that R15 is not very good for highways - if compared to ZMR or RE & keeping in mind bhpian Parthasarathig's height for the following reasons:
# The riding position is in too racy style, will ache back & pains palms as the shoulder weight will be on palms. Riding posture not suited for 6' guys.
# The mono shocks are better for race tracks & for cornering. May not suit some highway uneven roads.
# 17" wheels not so good on potholes.
# Small 150cc mill to do 300+ kms. The engine may run out if breath if done continiously.

All the above is my opinion after doing 140 kms on R15, around 400kms on RE Machismo and riding ZMA since 2003 & ZMR since 2010.
In case if there is any wrong in my opinion, request you to correct me.

Quote:
And yes, what is gripping? What do you grip with the R15?
I meant to say cornering abilility and superior road grip due to alluminium delta frame, mono shocks and MRF REV S soft compound tyres. Excellent handling for race tracks.

Quote:
Due to commercial liaisons, few write which they shouldn't. So I shall take this with a pinch of salt. And yes, you can't expect a single cylinder 150cc SOHC, LC Motorcycle having 17PS to beat its competitors sporting at least 50cc & 8+PS. Not a fair comparison
I completely agree with you and that comparisions were made with 200 & 250 ccs. Though CBR 150's figure shown was good, I still doubt on its performance and this bike is not a good VFM with cheap instrumentations on it. A big no for CBR150 and again no offence to CBR150 owners as it is my opinion.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 22:55   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

To correct you at few places, hope you won't mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
# The riding position is in too racy style, will ache back & pains palms as the shoulder weight will be on palms. Riding posture not suited for 6' guys.
Bunny Punia & Vaibhav Sabharwal both are 6' 2"+ and have done over 1,000kms with no problems (as far as ergos go) to report for. I am sure they would have done more than 5,000 on the R15 at least. But then which bike's ergos suit you or not is comepletely upto one's person, so...
Quote:
# The mono shocks are better for race tracks & for cornering. May not suit some highway uneven roads.
Sorry, but you are wrong here. The mono is much superior to the twin shock set-up. Dr. Arnob Gupta fitted it on his Karizma and was all praise for it.
Quote:
# 17" wheels not so good on potholes.
Not just 17", but low profile, sticky tires. Traded for performance on-road. You win some, you lose some.
Quote:
# Small 150cc mill to do 300+ kms. The engine may run out if breath if done continiously.
This honestly should belong here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-friends.html

Were you really serious while saying this? Have you taken the R15 over 7,000 revs in the first 4 gears to comment? The R15's engine is much superior to the Karizma or ZMR, the only negative being deficient on torque.

140kms might not be enough for you to form a judgement.

Karizma is good & I frankly find it better than the ZMR (a wannabe 'busa). Heck, the Karizma is cheaper & looks good too.

Quote:
I completely agree with you and that comparisions were made with 200 & 250 ccs. Though CBR 150's figure shown was good, I still doubt on its performance and this bike is not a good VFM with cheap instrumentations on it. A big no for CBR150 and again no offence to CBR150 owners as it is my opinion.
I really can't comprehend as to why do you doubt? The tech on these bikes is streets ahead of RE & Karizma. You got to spend some time on saddle to understand this.

How can you doubt the bike's performance w/o riding or pitting against its competitors?

I am against manufacturers who keep pushing age old technology in the name of brand/luxury, eg. RE or HD. Karizma is now becoming a bit too long in the tooth. But I would still buy it over any RE on sale in India. Or buy a ZMR, junk its wannabe 'busa looks & fit normal head-lamps.

Do you know that the mighty Hayabusa GSX-1300R & the hairy chested ZZR-1400 is left behind by a Motorcycle sporting just 1,000cc's? That is technology for you. Don't believe me? Have a look

And yes, one can keep on saying whatever one says and add, no offense at the end , hence I have refrained from this. I am not know you all (my post might suggest, but far from it). If anyone has to say something, please do chip. We all can always learn, evolve & grow. The beauty of an open forum.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st August 2012 at 22:58.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 07:53   #82
BHPian

I wanted to refrain replying to above post as no one can argue against Yamaha with a "Yamaha Fan".

Thanks for correcting me in few places, but still do not agree on few points(I donot want to argue). Then why Bikes are categorised into "Street Bikes" "Off roaders" Sports Bikes" "Sports Tourers" "Cruzers", and you very well know R15 falls into sports bike and ZMA/ZMR unders Sports Tourer(for India)
Atleast I know that I am not a "non petrol head" as I am into "Biking" for 12 years owning performace bikes like ported RX, CBZ, ZMA & ZMR also subscribing to "overdrive" &"bike india" I was interacting with Bunny Punia through indiatimes forums on those days, he was just a college stunt boy on those days.

@Parthsarathig: How about waiting for 2013 Ninja250, It just resembles below ZX10 R, you wont regret later.
Attached Images

Last edited by HighOctane : 1st September 2012 at 08:05.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 08:55   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I wanted to refrain replying to above post as no one can argue against Yamaha with a "Yamaha Fan".
Hi!

I do not own a Yamaha bike nor am I am fan of it. So you are labeling me as one? LOL. Thanks.

Quote:
Thanks for correcting me in few places, but still do not agree on few points(I donot want to argue). Then why Bikes are categorised into "Street Bikes" "Off roaders" Sports Bikes" "Sports Tourers" "Cruzers", and you very well know R15 falls into sports bike and ZMA/ZMR unders Sports Tourer(for India)
Yes, bikes are categorized and you are correct here, but it isn't that R15 can't tour or can't do 1,650 kms in 24 hours (Saddle sore)

I never said Karizma isn't comfortable, well for most it is.

And yes, on which points do you don't agree? And who on earth says we are arguing? I put up a point on a public forum, agreeing or not is different, but you can't change reality, sadly.

On a public forum, you just can't post anything & expect others not to put up their views, which sometimes might be correct & would help others as well as doubters make an informed decision.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 09:24   #84
BHPian

Friends Im going for test rides today. Will let you all know what option i go for after riding them. Hope I get to test the R15 too rather than just sit on it. I shall reply to all your posts once im able to get some free time.

Thanks for your continuing advice.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 23:55   #85
BHPian

Hello friends
Im back after the test rides today. Rode both the bikes the R15 and Duke200. Tried out the Duke first. Left me happily scared. What an awesome bike. The racket it makes and the way it scarily keeps pulling, two awesome feelings. Was floored by it and just wanted to get one for myself.

After the test ride of the Duke, thought I wont even touch the R15. But gave it a shot nonetheless. Loved the R15 v2 but it kinda felt the same as the v1. The shifts were pretty slick and it felt like a disciplined beast.

The Duke 200 is an animal. You cant tame it. You wont even want to tame it. Made me feel 18 again. I was cursing myself during the test ride. But spoke to a few owners and they were all praises for it. But man oh man, the duke is one hell of a machine. And im still laughing and giggling and smiling now 8 hours after the test ride.

The new R15 has fat tyres which are a very good addition and the bike looks mean in black. Those carbon fibre inserts really come to life in the black bike. And it was pretty comfortable to ride in the city. Loved how fast we could upshift. The bike will be great on the highways, I could feel it. It will tour effortlessly. You can sleep, have your dinner, carry out all your activities while the bike keeps on the move. I mean it was so comfortable to ride it. The torque is delivered in the lower rev range on this bike compared to the v1.0. And on the open road the bike is just amazing. Had a 2km test ride and it was just great. Loved it.

But then when I thought back on the Duke test ride, I kept smiling and laughing. Its like those rides in amusement parks. You feel very scared while on them, but are safely tied to your seats. Similarly the Duke feels scary to ride, but has potent brakes to bring you completely to a stop without any complaint. But the 200m test drive just took me back to my teenage years, 14-15, when i used to cycle recklessly like a mad fellow. This bike brings out that hidden reckless teenager in you, while the adult in you controls how much speed you want to ride at.

It is this reckless teenager, that decides how you get from 0 to 60kmph. The R15 is so clinical in this. Speeding up and down, cornering etc is achieved without losing your hairstyle. However the Duke does the 0 to 60 with so much fireworks, pomp and show that you wouldnt mind if your 20$ haircut goes for a toss. Rather you'd happily lose all your hair riding the Duke without much complaint. Its a crazy bike and I love it.

Now is the tough thing. Heart says Duke cause I wanna be a teenager again, Mind says R15- better mileage, good control on the bike, no recklessness. Now one has to convince the other. This battle will go on for a few days till something is finalised and my ownership thread is put up. Had I not ridden the R15, I'd have booked the Duke. The R15 v2.0 feels great and the smoothness of everything makes it effortless to ride it. The Duke however turns me into a "Junglee Jaanwar" and makes me love myself for being one.

Guys even if you are not buying any bike right now, test ride the Duke. It doesn't cost you any money but makes you smile in return and you can thank me later for pushing you to TD it

On a last note, what do you suggest? Should i go with heart or mind?

Regards.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 00:24   #86
BHPian

you obviously want the Duke. get the beast buddy, nothing else will suffice, except maybe the Duke 350. sorry
vroomsome is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 00:59   #87
BHPian

Quote:
On a last note, what do you suggest? Should i go with heart or mind?

Regards.
Great, thanks for the write up. Well, I will give you two choices:(logical ones)

1. Finance - long term, repayment and amount you have shell out. (calculate the fuel + service costs)

2. I have loads of money(enough to feed a hungry beast) but I want to enjoy the riding, heck, we live only once. Go get yourself a Duke200.

Finally, consider you ride - if you have more highway rides, do check with owners how duke vs. R15 goes on open highways and if you concentrate mainly city rides, I dont think either of them could make a difference(unless you are one of those illegal night drag racers!)

Best wishes for your new ride.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 2nd September 2012 at 01:00.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 12:55   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomsome
you obviously want the Duke. get the beast buddy, nothing else will suffice, except maybe the Duke 350. sorry
The Junglee Janwaar in me is roaring again. Right now budget suits R15 but will extend it to get the Duke200.

Frankly reviews dont do justice to these bikes. One needs to ride them. These bikes make you scared to death. They are monsters in their own right. After having read about the Ninja 250 on this forum and how effortlessly everyone tours on it, i had the notion it was an easy bike to ride. But no it isnt. That thing is another beast. One cannot help but stay alert all the time with these bikes.

The ride maybe fun but one wrong decision, one wrong turn and these bikes are unforgiving. Every bike in the Bajaj pro biking showroom is a beast in slumber. Turn on the ignition and one ride is all you need to humble you. One needs to exercise caution while riding them atleast for the first few times till one builds a suitable relation with the bike.

In comparison to this, the R15 and enfield bullets, all are pretty forgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo

Great, thanks for the write up. Well, I will give you two choices:(logical ones)

1. Finance - long term, repayment and amount you have shell out. (calculate the fuel + service costs)

2. I have loads of money(enough to feed a hungry beast) but I want to enjoy the riding, heck, we live only once. Go get yourself a Duke200.

Finally, consider you ride - if you have more highway rides, do check with owners how duke vs. R15 goes on open highways and if you concentrate mainly city rides, I dont think either of them could make a difference(unless you are one of those illegal night drag racers!)

Best wishes for your new ride.
But the Duke makes you want to be those drag racers :
Mileage was on my list of requirements that i carried with me for the TDs. One ride of the duke and that list went into the dustbin near ktm, indiranagar.

Im still considering the finance part and am thinking of the regular expenses of running this bike. The thing about finance is, if i opt for two wheeler loan, the hypothecation remains on the vehicle and once its cleared, one needs to change or update the RC book which can be a pain. Is there any alternative to this?

Thanks once again for all your help.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 14:08   #89
BHPian

Quote:
The Junglee Janwaar in me is roaring again. Right now budget suits R15 but will extend it to get the Duke200.

In comparison to this, the R15 and enfield bullets, all are pretty forgiving.

But the Duke makes you want to be those drag racers :
Mileage was on my list of requirements that i carried with me for the TDs. One ride of the duke and that list went into the dustbin near ktm, indiranagar.
I dont blame you. Both the bikes in your consideration are gems with their own virtues. You have hit the nail on its head with your review of both. The Duke indeed is a mad machine & a true hooligan while the Yam is a silent samurai who comes n executes without as much as a whisper (& yes the black looks sinful). I remember my elder cousin was in the same confusion in the 90s when he had to choose between the RX & the Sleek.

The Yam does have a slight edge over the KTM on the highway where its engine feels much more relaxed and smoother. But come to the city and the Duke takes no prisoners. Its the best urban tool. Period. Aim & shoot.

I personally always believe in buying bikes which will scare the daylights out of me every time I ride. Because once you master the steed, it gets boring. The adrenaline is paramount for me. Personally I would take the Duke and keep it for my urban runs while my Ninja handles the highway & rare track duties.

Best of luck and happy choosing.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 14:39   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123

I dont blame you.

The Yam does have a slight edge over the KTM on the highway where its engine feels much more relaxed and smoother. But come to the city and the Duke takes no prisoners. Its the best urban tool. Period. Aim & shoot.
Now this statement has got me on the horns of a dilemma again. Im actually looking to replace my highway runs in the car with the duke. Now am i making the right choice or should i go for the R15?

Because no matter what the heart wants, the mind always wants the better option. Is the Duke able to keep up highway speeds on straight highways with fun or is it just enjoyable to ride only in the city and the twisties? The yamaha is enjoyable to ride everywhere but i like the fireworks of the duke. Now what to do?

Regards.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote