Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd September 2012, 18:56   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Please suggest a new Bike for me!!

^^+1 to that!

The bike is rock steady. and back gets a little skittlish if you are hard on the rear. Front braking is the way to go with this devil called Duke!

Partha - you owe Doc and I a treat for helping to make this decision (to go for the Duke - which I am assuming you almost have made)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:56   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Because no matter what the heart wants, the mind always wants the better option. Is the Duke able to keep up highway speeds on straight highways with fun or is it just enjoyable to ride only in the city and the twisties? The yamaha is enjoyable to ride everywhere but i like the fireworks of the duke. Now what to do?

Regards.
Good so you got the word from Shubz itself. Now what/who can stop you from nirvana? One thing could have is the TBTS and now that not in the picture at all, I would prefer to give you a very simple practical solution: (answer them, and you should have your bike! - no, sorry, I am not going to gift you/buy you one, rather meant to say you will get a clear picture)

1. How many times do you think you will hit the top speed? How safe is it on Indian roads? - If you feel top speed/crazy acceleration doesn't matter - go for the Yamaha. Otherwise, well you know what to choose.

2. What is your percentage of highway drive vs. city commute? Pure highway, I dont think is your daily drive, practical choice - yamaha. More city run - take the Duke (you will not miss the service centres) and be a leader in all those signal to signal drags.

3. How long will you dare to tour? (ex. Tour around india or a short burst between bangy - chennai or just all southern states) - Take the yamaha/duke - finance matters!

4. Resale value and service costs and A.S.S performance. - I neither own R15 or Duke but will say, bajaj has a good service network and mostly I found their service personnel very competent, so I expect the same for duke too!

5. I would still urge you to go for a proper little longer test drive of both the bikes, once again and also check out the Pulsar 200NS. Then let your heart decide.

All the best.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 3rd September 2012 at 18:59.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:38   #108
BHPian

Cool Re: Please suggest a new Bike for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
On the headwind bit, I know guys who ride full faired bikes will laugh at this, but the bikini deflector above the Duke's headlight actually is beautifully designed and functional at that.

In neutral riding position, listen to the wind noise inside your helmet.

Then crouch as if doing a top speed run, chin to tank, and listen to the noise again.

Tell me the difference

The bike is rock stable till where she will go. Never had wind blast or cross-wind issues either.

Yes, the back end does get skittish if you are not gentle with the rear brake. You learn to quickly direct all your aggression to the front.
Im still grinning doc. Yes I didnt feel that much windblast at 3 digit speeds. But will definitely try the crouching after I get mine. *Grinning*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
First the nice name devil and then immediately the knighthood? :( Call me Shub/Shubz/Bro/Abbe O anything.. but Sir! lol

Bike sets you on fire and you gonna love every moment of that! People complaining of forks/misted MID - Yet again I am saying this is NOT inherent of the Duke. And as my other bro doc mentioned - Bajaj are looking into those examples and will take care of the same. YES - these would be covered by insurance - unless you tried to do cartwheeling with the Duke.
Can i say something to both doc and you? The Duke is the first machine that feels like a living soul to me. None of my cars or any bikes have made me feel that now. I can actually visualise her waking up from sleep when I start the ignition and roaring to life. Thing is, it isnt like wife or girlfriend or mommy with whom you've to always be disciplined and well behaved. The Duke rewards you for misbehaving. Doesnt scold you or fight with you but encourages you to come and join the fun. Dont know if this is just me or Im really insane, but thats how I feel. Independent.

Quote:
Why am not updating thread - I changed jobs 3 months ago and only now I am kinda settling into the same and finding some time to peek in here.
Hey congrats on the new job then. Hope you've settled in well. Now time to ride the Duke

Quote:
When I say planted most of the time - I mean it depends on your riding/braking style. You can't expect the Duke to be planted irrespective of how you ride it. (this holds good for any bike for that matter) But I must tell you - There is never a dull moment with the Duke and also you feel most safe on it.
Thats why my reference to the Wonderla rides. They are scary but the harness keeps you safe. Same on the duke. Scarily fast but the brakes do keep you safe.

Quote:
At top ends - depends on the wind. If you have a head wind - the wind blasts, blasts away to glory! can be minimized a wee bit by crouching.
Wires in black tape - My odo reading is about 4500 - and i don't see anything going wrong so far.

What I hate in my Duke - 1. It refuses to bore me!

Anything you need to worry about: yes, chances of wife (if you are married), girlfriend ditching you/giving up on you is high as Duke takes away all your attention
Yes looks like that. Duke has all my attention. My whole family is by now bored with my constant grinning. Im grinning even as I type the posts. My family is probably cursing why they let me go for TD. Simple Activa or Dio would have kept me sane. Im still grinning.

Quote:
^^+1 to that!

The bike is rock steady. and back gets a little skittlish if you are hard on the rear. Front braking is the way to go with this devil called Duke!
Exactly what I felt about the front braking. With a pillion, rear braking will be manageable without powerslides.

Quote:
Partha - you owe Doc and I a treat for helping to make this decision (to go for the Duke - which I am assuming you almost have made)
Not almost. Im completely shifted to Duke now. Yes definitely will meet you up on the day of delivery if time permits you to. Treat pucca for both of you. And doc needs to come to namma Bengaluru sometime. Or maybe one day I shall land at your doorstep, doc for a ride in those awesome Pune twisties. And maybe get to lean as much as the PTR guys did in their videos One thing for sure, Im gonna be a regular visitor on the tbhp meets after getting the orange lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Good so you got the word from Shubz itself. Now what/who can stop you from nirvana? One thing could have is the TBTS and now that not in the picture at all, I would prefer to give you a very simple practical solution: (answer them, and you should have your bike! - no, sorry, I am not going to gift you/buy you one, rather meant to say you will get a clear picture)
TBTS had been in the picture long back, mein freund. But as my buddies have all of the above mentioned bikes, I felt Duke would be a welcome change.

Quote:
1. How many times do you think you will hit the top speed? How safe is it on Indian roads? - If you feel top speed/crazy acceleration doesn't matter - go for the Yamaha. Otherwise, well you know what to choose.
*Grinning* Top speed not so much of a matter here as is the fireworks. AlphaKilo trust me you should ride this. Words cant describe what I felt that day, hence I've resorted to grinning.

Quote:
2. What is your percentage of highway drive vs. city commute? Pure highway, I dont think is your daily drive, practical choice - yamaha. More city run - take the Duke (you will not miss the service centres) and be a leader in all those signal to signal drags.
Duke will be replacing most of what my car does except for carrying people around. If i could remove the rear seat so be it.

Quote:
3. How long will you dare to tour? (ex. Tour around india or a short burst between bangy - chennai or just all southern states) - Take the yamaha/duke - finance matters!
Southern states and if with a group I could probably tour upto Leh if parents permit.

Quote:
4. Resale value and service costs and A.S.S performance. - I neither own R15 or Duke but will say, bajaj has a good service network and mostly I found their service personnel very competent, so I expect the same for duke too!
Not thinking of it as of now. Thanks for reminding me of the practical side of the fun too. If Ive to sell it, it will only be to get another one from Bajaj pro biking so that should in turn give me good value.

Quote:
5. I would still urge you to go for a proper little longer test drive of both the bikes, once again and also check out the Pulsar 200NS. Then let your heart decide.
Perhaps I shall TD the Duke again on the day of booking. And the 200NS. I should've reviewed it that day but Duke made me go va va vrooom.

Quote:
All the best

Thanks AlphaKilo. And if you can, do test the Duke even if you arent interested in buying it. I was a sedate rider/driver till I met Duke. She speaks to your soul.

Over and out.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 3rd September 2012 at 19:42. Reason: Removing smileys from quoted posts
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 22:49   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the headwind bit, I know guys who ride full faired bikes will laugh at this, but the bikini deflector above the Duke's headlight actually is beautifully designed and functional at that.
It indeed is quite hard to believe that there would be no wind blast. Why would anyone buy a faired Motorcycle then?

And if the Duke-200's bikini deflector is so genius, why don't other manufacturers go with the same design on their nakeds?

Can other Duke-200 riders fill me up on this?

Quote:
You learn to quickly direct all your aggression to the front
Precisely the reason street/sports have dual disc set up, up-front & that tiny one at the rear. Braking duty under most (save for off-road) circumstances need to done by the front, 100% of it.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th September 2012 at 23:09.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 11:52   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It indeed is quite hard to believe that there would be no wind blast. Why would anyone buy a faired Motorcycle then?

And if the Duke-200's bikini deflector is so genius, why don't other manufacturers go with the same design on their nakeds?

Can other Duke-200 riders fill me up on this?
I never claimed there is no wind blast.

Just that its way more neutral in the riding position than in any other position (like full crouched or even slightly crouched).

That can only come from the wind flow being channeled.

And that channeling is done by the bikini deflector. Like the hood deflectors on large SUVs.

As I've said, don't take my word for it. Try it and report back.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 12:54   #111
Senior - BHPian

@Partha - This job or previous job - Duke was never left unattended to. You can always catch up with me if you are visiting Auto Service - I live hop-skip and half a jump away from there. You could also join the FB page of KTM Duke owners and join rides (with us or with other groups).

Doc/Sheel - How we all wish there was no windblast!! As doc mentioned, crouching kinda negates the blast but does not eliminate it.

Each time we've been on weekend rides, we have ridden with a tail wind on our starts and with a tough head wind on our return and have stopped often to get our necks/backs straightened out.
Old 5th September 2012, 14:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc/Sheel - How we all wish there was no windblast!! As doc mentioned, crouching kinda negates the blast but does not eliminate it.
No that is not what I said buddy .... actually the opposite.

When you crouch away from the laminar wind flow channeled by the bikini deflector, the flow becomes much more turbulent and your wind noise inside the helmet increases significantly. Try it!

Yes, the overall wind resistance of you sitting up vs full crouch will obviously be less, and that's how you pick up the last 5+ kmph, but that's not something you are going ride like for more than a km or so.

The KTM designed riding position wind flow is for all day riding. Granted its not a full faired bike in protection, but its not a pure naked either.

Quote:
Each time we've been on weekend rides, we have ridden with a tail wind on our starts and with a tough head wind on our return and have stopped often to get our necks/backs straightened out.
Never had this issue. Mine is more stretching out my upper thighs and lower calves because of the foot-back position and the lack of slide space on the seat.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th September 2012 at 14:23.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 14:28   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No that is not what I said buddy .... actually the opposite.

When you crouch away from the laminar wind flow channeled by the bikini deflector, the flow becomes much more turbulent and your wind noise inside the helmet increases significantly. Try it!

Yes, the overall wind resistance of you sitting up vs full crouch will obviously be less, and that's how you pick up the last 5+ kmph, but that's not something you are going ride like for more than a km or so.

The KTM designed riding position wind flow is for all day riding. Granted its not a full faired bike in protection, but its not a pure naked either.

Never had this issue. Mine is more stretching out my upper thighs and lower calves because of the foot-back position and the lack of slide space on the seat.
Doc - Not sure I understand this correctly --> crouch away from the laminar wind flow channeled by the bikini deflector -- could you please elaborate?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 14:47   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc - Not sure I understand this correctly --> crouch away from the laminar wind flow channeled by the bikini deflector -- could you please elaborate?
Just crouch and tell me if the wind noise inside your helmet increases or decreases - from what is normal for the neutral riding position.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just crouch and tell me if the wind noise inside your helmet increases or decreases - from what is normal for the neutral riding position.
It increases. much more whistling/roaring than what it is in normal riding posture.
Old 5th September 2012, 16:27   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It increases. much more whistling/roaring than what it is in normal riding posture.
Exactly.

Turbulent (all over) versus Laminar (smooth) flow.
Old 10th September 2012, 18:13   #117
BHPian

The Vibes felt on the helmet when crouched could be because of the wake created right aft of the number plate. I shall try it without the plate and report, then we shall know if it was that or the screen itself. IMO dont think that little screen can deflect any significant amount of air. The reason we are not experiencing the vibes when sitting straight up could again be because we are too far away from the turbulent area .
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 16:25   #118
Senior - BHPian

I've been riding a Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3 for close to 7 years now. I picked it up on 24th September,2006 and the journey has been memorable one. Never has the bike left me stranded or wanting for more performance. That was until I took a ride on the Duke 200. What a bike! Menacingly fast and much lighter compared to my Pulsar.

So thinking of selling my bike and getting a used Duke 200 for ~1L in bangalore. I do not want to spend more than 1L since a brand new bike is 50 or 60k more and instead of buying a 200 i'll be tempted to stretch and get the Duke 390 which will be sacrilege for my kind of usage.

My bike has about 26k on the odo and is mechanically sound, there are a few scratches here and there but no major accidents thankfully. How much can I expect for it ? 30k sounds reasonable ?

My usage is strictly for city commutes and round the block kind of riding. I've never taken my Pulsar to the highway and most probably won't take the Duke either.

Why not 200NS, as I can get a brand new one with my budget ? Want a change so not looking at Pulsar again.

I'm looking at the Duke mainly because it is super fun to ride. Should I also consider any other alternatives ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 1st September 2013 at 16:26.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 17:19   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I've been riding a Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG3 for close to 7 years now. I picked it up on 24th September,2006 and the journey has been memorable one. Never has the bike left me stranded or wanting for more performance. That was until I took a ride on the Duke 200. What a bike! Menacingly fast and much lighter compared to my Pulsar.

So thinking of selling my bike and getting a used Duke 200 for ~1L in bangalore. I do not want to spend more than 1L since a brand new bike is 50 or 60k more and instead of buying a 200 i'll be tempted to stretch and get the Duke 390 which will be sacrilege for my kind of usage.

My bike has about 26k on the odo and is mechanically sound, there are a few scratches here and there but no major accidents thankfully. How much can I expect for it ? 30k sounds reasonable ?

My usage is strictly for city commutes and round the block kind of riding. I've never taken my Pulsar to the highway and most probably won't take the Duke either.

Why not 200NS, as I can get a brand new one with my budget ? Want a change so not looking at Pulsar again.

I'm looking at the Duke mainly because it is super fun to ride. Should I also consider any other alternatives ?
Well considering your usage i would suggest you to get a vespa for your city use.
anyway duke200 is a good bike but as you would be riding it in the city the short gearing will irritate you cause of the continuous gear shifts. Is it really easy to find a duke200 in a good condition? or you already found one?
If you have and if you like it then go for it.
The pulsar200ns is also a good option. I have been using my friends NS for a long time and its a blast on the highway. But in the city it is a little difficult to use as it is heavy.I have a Fazer and its extremely easy to handle with or without a pillion in any kind of traffic. Duke has a plus point here cause its lighter. I guess the NS would be around 100k INR (not sure about the price in banglore)
And other options would be the avenger, Apache RTR180, Fz/Fazer, Karizma R. These are some good bikes within one lakh. You can also have a look at used R15's and ceebers plenty of them around.I would suggest test drive all of these and then decide!
All the best!
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 18:58   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Well considering your usage i would suggest you to get a vespa for your city use.
Well, I considered that too,but unfortunately it just isn't as good as riding a bike
Quote:
anyway duke200 is a good bike but as you would be riding it in the city the short gearing will irritate you cause of the continuous gear shifts. Is it really easy to find a duke200 in a good condition? or you already found one?
If you have and if you like it then go for it.
Yeah, I felt the gear changes were a little too mnay, but then the acceleration overshadowed this.Don't know any person selling personally so will have to go through the service history to ascertain the condition. Is the Duke 200 known to be problematic ?

Quote:
The pulsar200ns is also a good option. I have been using my friends NS for a long time and its a blast on the highway. But in the city it is a little difficult to use as it is heavy.I have a Fazer and its extremely easy to handle with or without a pillion in any kind of traffic. Duke has a plus point here cause its lighter. I guess the NS would be around 100k INR (not sure about the price in banglore)
And other options would be the avenger, Apache RTR180, Fz/Fazer, Karizma R. These are some good bikes within one lakh. You can also have a look at used R15's and ceebers plenty of them around.I would suggest test drive all of these and then decide!
All the best!
The 200NS is a good all-rounder is what I get from the reviews, whereas the Duke 200 is a city machine. Also, don't want Apache,Karizma since they're too old now. R15 was ruled out since I find its more a highway cruiser than city riding. CBR 250 is too heavy and also may overshoot my budget. Let me look around!
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote