Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th March 2010, 23:55   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much sirji for awesome explanation, really appreciate it.

But none of above really is applicable to my bike. I live in baroda so no ghats around. I ride very gently, so no high rpm or blazing trips. It happened while commuting at 40 kmph. I change oil regularly, get the bike serviced periodically, wash it every week. And it happened after 3 years of ownership so cannot be manufacturing defect.

I guess it purely hard luck, what else?
It has to be a manufacturing defect,it can take time to bend might be 3 years to show a slight manufacturing defect or its about poor quality material for use.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 08:30   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Pulsar 150 DTSi - Valve bent! Help needed

Not any from the Pulsar family, but my 8 year old (~60,000 kilometer run) XCD is giving me troubles since morning. I'd list down the troubles.

1. Engine start -

I start the engine with kick. However, after it starts, the engine keeps 'revving on its own' for the next 2 minutes, and then come back to idle. Thereafter when I rev it, it revs and then dies. I am noticing this problem since a week, about every time I start it.

2. Exhaust Pop -

Noticed this for once in the last week while decelerating by downshifting.

3. Grinding while cruising at low speed / higher gear -

Say I'm doing 20 kph in 4th gear. Now if I try to gently accelerate, I get a feeling that somethings in the gearbox is grinding against each other.

Now coming onto the recent service history,

During monsoons, the bike had suffered from the problem of water in fuel tank. Had cleaned the tank, fuel lines and carburetor at that time, but not from my regular Bajaj center, a roadside mechanic. I found the job shoddy, but did not pay attention. Thereafter, I had changed the clutch plates from another workshop. A couple of weeks back, a petrol pump attendant had advised to add 2T oil in petrol. I added that and drove the bike that way.

What could be the causes? I am a very sedate driver and generally limit the speed of my vehicles to the rule "top speed / 2 + 10".
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 06:46   #18
BHPian

20 kmph in 4th gear

No wonder you hear a grinding noise while accelerating. Its called Engine Knocking or Pinging. Trust me its a bad practice. Second and third gear are there for a reason. Please shift down and the grinding or more appropriately called knocking will stop.

If you have ridden like this for the past 60000 kms, i cant imagine the damage that would have been done to piston, rings, cylinder, connecting rods both top end and big end pins. Not sure but it certainly is a bad practice.

I hear a lot of such engine knocks around me when stuck in traffic jams with people moving forward in higher gear, my guess would be that they are in second gear when they should be in the first. It just takes one click of your feet and results in better engine life, smoother riding experience and better mileage too.

As for pops, it could have been because of water in the tank, if you are still facing the problem, have it checked again and get the carb cleaned and tuned.

Having the valve clearance checked and adjusted would not be a bad idea either.

About limiting the speed of your vehicles to the rule "top speed / 2 + 10". That is actually a good way to put it. Continue with that but just remember to practice appropriate gear changes.

Last edited by mehuel : 17th December 2015 at 06:48.
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 07:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
20 kmph in 4th gear

No wonder you hear a grinding noise while accelerating. Its called Engine Knocking or Pinging. Trust me its a bad practice. Second and third gear are there for a reason. Please shift down and the grinding or more appropriately called knocking will stop.

If you have ridden like this for the past 60000 kms, i cant imagine the damage that would have been done to piston, rings, cylinder, connecting rods both top end and big end pins. Not sure but it certainly is a bad practice.

I hear a lot of such engine knocks around me when stuck in traffic jams with people moving forward in higher gear, my guess would be that they are in second gear when they should be in the first. It just takes one click of your feet and results in better engine life, smoother riding experience and better mileage too.
No. That's not my regular driving style. I can feel the vibrations on the left foot peg in situations where speed is lower and gear is higher, and that they're something more than mere knocking. Guess that could be due to anything from gearbox or chain sprocket gone bad. I had changed my clutch plates and chain set from a completely new workshop. Doubt the workmanship.

Quote:
As for pops, it could have been because of water in the tank, if you are still facing the problem, have it checked again and get the carb cleaned and tuned.
Yes. Though I would like to do this on my own this time. For about three consecutive services, I had directed the mechanics to clean and tune the carburetor. They don't do a good job.

Quote:
Having the valve clearance checked and adjusted would not be a bad idea either.
Will get this done during the upcoming service.

Quote:
About limiting the speed of your vehicles to the rule "top speed / 2 + 10". That is actually a good way to put it. Continue with that but just remember to practice appropriate gear changes.
Thanks mate. I do that for all my vehicles, and also apply this rule for all the gears. Maximum speed attained in a gear divided by 2 + 10.
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote