Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th February 2010, 11:13   #1
BHPian

Default Last RE Electra in Bangalore - to buy or not to buy. Update: Bought!

Dear BHP'ians,

I booked a RE Electra in the last week of October, on impulse and with full informaiton that the CI is being phased out. In fact, that information actually prompted me to first book and then think about buying when the bike arrives at the dealership.

Now after postponing my decision a couple of months, the time to close my decision has arrived and yet i feel undecided and unsure.

First things first. My thought process and decision points.
I love the looks of the RE Electra. I love the thump. And i have utmost respect and liking for the fairly classsic and retro look. However, i have never been a biker. I drive a Fiat Adventure to work (and would continue doing so). My thought process in booking this bike has been that i could use this for the weekend jaunts around town, when the Bangalore traffic takes a backseat, get my 2 sons (Aged 7 and 3.5 years)involved and get to love machines. I would never use it for daily commute. While i do dream (and possibly will use) for some good highway rides. On the willingness to spend 1 lacs on a bike for sheer indulgence and not too much practical utility (for daily commute etc) its definately a pinch, but its now or never. I did think of second hand as well, but feel that considering i plan to keep the bike till a long long time, it makes sense to invest in a new bike. I am also confused about Electra vs the new Aluminium engined TBTS.

I am looking to the Forum for help in deciding

a) Whether it makes sense to go in for the Electra, given my above thought process and use;
b) Whether Thunderbird might be a better option;
c) Wheter an occassional rider, but with a great love for the thump, an electra makes sense.

Unfortunately, i am rather close to making the decision, indeed i am forced to decide in the next 2 days and hence all your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Vinay Sambaragimath
vinay_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Get the Electra.

What are you waiting for. Enjoy.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:48   #3
BHPian

I would also say get the Electra. I got a used electra and its a damn good bike, and feels as reliable as any bike I have had / known.

Go for the TB only if - you want more mileage and also want the latest engine from the RE stable .
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:56   #4
BHPian

Last Electra..!!??? is it going to be phased out??
The Electra 5S is very much there, i can see lots of new Electras running on Pune roads everyday, including mine

Go ahead and buy it man.
dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 17:07   #5
BHPian

Go for the Electra dude..I am sure it will make you happy.
praveencr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 19:16   #6
BHPian

go for the electra.

the cast iron engine mated with a TCI ignition is flawless.
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 22:06   #7
BHPian

Default Electra

Electra Electra Electra
subushady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 22:29   #8
BHPian

The Electra has been phased out. A friend checked with RE 2 weeks ago. Not a single new one available in Chennai. Go for it!
spindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 22:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its that classic case again. Thinking with your head or thinking with your heart.

Heart says ELECTRA, Head says UCE Engine.

The ELECTRA is one of the last bikes with the gear-shift on the wrong side, the UCE is ordinary in that respect. Its the old world charm, and there are enough BULLETS on the road to keep the parts supply going till eternity.

Look back and think, are you a Head or a Heart guy, then your decision is made.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 23:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The ELECTRA is one of the last bikes with the gear-shift on the wrong side, the UCE is ordinary in that respect. Its the old world charm, and there are enough BULLETS on the road to keep the parts supply going till eternity.
Wrong side gear shift only if its a 4S Electra. But I think the bike in question here is Electra 5S which got gear shift on same side as UCE.

By the way my vote also goes for Electra- Though I wouldnt buy it myself. (Head rules over heart)
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 14:16   #11
BHPian

an electra with a UCE engine is on the launch
so u can check that out..
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 14:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here's the link on Electra UCE - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-showroom.html (UCE electra in showroom)
RE has an retired motorcycle pages containing Electra 5S - http://www.royalenfield.com/Motorcyc...ed-models.aspx

Last edited by aargee : 15th February 2010 at 14:31.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 15:10   #13
BHPian

Folks, thanks all for the inputs ! i finally went to the showroom and paid the balance amount of the bike today for the Electra. The registration should get done in the next 2-3 days and i hope to be able to take the thumper home this weekend.

While i was at the showroom, i also saw the new Electra with the Twinspark engine. Its almost the same, except that i spotted the difference in the engine with clear markings of the Twinspark and the silencer barrel, which was distinctly different (and had a steel plate kind of a covering) over and above the silencer barrel.

I guess, finally the heart won over the head and i am all excited like a kid, waiting to ride the bike with my 2 young boys.

While on the topic of a new bike, any suggestions on helmets would be welcome. I am impressed with Shoei.

Cheers
Vinay Sambaragimath
vinay_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 15:34   #14
BHPian

You did what I would have suggested too. Electra it should be since that's what you wanted in the first place!

as for someone saying buy the TB for mileage, when did people buy RE bikes for that?
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 15:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man!

The metal plate covering must have been the heat shield, I guess.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote