Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th March 2010, 09:37   #16
BHPian

Default Sleek and fit

I can easily do 140KM/Hr at will over a 1 KM stretch (no down slope required) on my 500LB Machismo. I have hit max on my Speedo about 155-160KM/Hr on the Airport Rd. (Assuming my stock speedo is accurate!).

My feelings were also that the Bullet is made to look bulky. So I have removed a bunch of things like the PAV system, air filter box, stock Tool boxes, plumbing system, heavy rear mud guard, dual seat etc. My battery has been relocated under the seat. I like the sleek see-through look, but some weight has been add back due to the quad-exhaust pipes and heavy rear-mudguard holds. I have removed the crash guard!

Sanker is spot on with the mods I have made, except I am not using a slim exhaust pipe, and I still have 19" wheels.

But, overall, I have achieved a good performance level with 18T sprocket, free flow exhausts, K&N filter, stock carb with 127.5 jet and windshield. It feels VERY torquey and has grunt on tap!
Attached Thumbnails
RE Bullet - Weight Reduction Program-see-through-left.jpg  

RE Bullet - Weight Reduction Program-see-through-right.jpg  

RE Bullet - Weight Reduction Program-sleek.jpg  

Last edited by gbanavar : 7th March 2010 at 09:44.
gbanavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 11:09   #17
BHPian

its nice to see you achieving such great speeds, but its a bit contradictory if you are using a windshield , it will stop the air flow and the speed/stability would not be that great at higher RPM.

PS: My opinion only.

You should also get your speedo checked. MY std 350 showed 130 km/h to me when i was driving with navpreet, i dont know if it was true or had some bug.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 11:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
I can easily do 140KM/Hr at will over a 1 KM stretch (no down slope required) on my 500LB Machismo. I have hit max on my Speedo about 155-160KM/Hr on the Airport Rd. (Assuming my stock speedo is accurate!).

My feelings were also that the Bullet is made to look bulky. So I have removed a bunch of things like the PAV system, air filter box, stock Tool boxes, plumbing system, heavy rear mud guard, dual seat etc. My battery has been relocated under the seat. I like the sleek see-through look, but some weight has been add back due to the quad-exhaust pipes and heavy rear-mudguard holds. I have removed the crash guard!

Sanker is spot on with the mods I have made, except I am not using a slim exhaust pipe, and I still have 19" wheels.

But, overall, I have achieved a good performance level with 18T sprocket, free flow exhausts, K&N filter, stock carb with 127.5 jet and windshield. It feels VERY torquey and has grunt on tap!

With that sprocketing, a LB500 hitting 150-160 can be only due to one thing: A wildly optimistic speedo. On the gun you'll be surprised to see that you are under 140. Don't tell me you did all these with the windshield on. 127.5 main with K&N won't make you go fast, you'll go slower as you will be lean. Your torque is due to the lowered gearing(sprocket).

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 11:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
With that sprocketing, a LB500 hitting 150-160 can be only due to one thing: A wildly optimistic speedo. On the gun you'll be surprised to see that you are under 140. Don't tell me you did all these with the windshield on. 127.5 main with K&N won't make you go fast, you'll go slower as you will be lean. Your torque is due to the lowered gearing(sprocket).

Cheers,

Jay
Yes, most definitely with the windshield on!! The bike does shake due to heavy wind at high speeds, so you can't hold the speed for long. But, that's true whether you have a windshield or not, since your upper body is providing the same (or worse) air resistance. My belief is that the windshield improves aerodynamics.

Jay, call/email me next time you are in Bangalore.. I live close to Nandan's place. I have been dabbling with this only for the past two years.. I would like your input after riding the bike yourself.

I am no expert, but even I know that if you increase your main jet size, you are making your mixture richer, not leaner. So, with a K&N and freer exhaust, a larger jet size is a must!

The 18T sproket not only increases the torque, but also reduces vibrations and gives you a smoother top end ride. There is also a small gain in the sweet spot for cruising speeds.

Last edited by gbanavar : 7th March 2010 at 12:12.
Old 7th March 2010, 12:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
What comes to my mind now are these:

Get rid of the side boxes.
Get rid of the airbox and install a pod filter.
Get rid of the air injection system.
Get rid of the new tech crankcase breather system and oil catch can and install a duckbill breather tube.
Install a sleek seat.
Install slimmer profile mudguards.
Install a short header and goldie/shortbottle exhaust.
Install 18" rear and front wheels.
This is my old bike. It could've been made lighter but this was right for me.

RE Bullet - Weight Reduction Program-img_1542.jpg
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 14:54   #21
BHPian

Default Edit

Sorry, realized that I had a 18T front sproket on my LB500 which I have changed to a 19T. This actually increases the top end by 5-10 Km/hr.
Old 7th March 2010, 15:06   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Theoritically yes. But only if it can pull those RPM in 5th with that gearing.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 15:51   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I'm bit curious to know why you want to shed some pounds from bullet? Bullet is comfortable to ride in bad roads as it's bit heavy.
You can replace all iron parts with aluminium to make it lighter, but then it'll not be a bullet.
Its a known fact that 1kg weight reduction from the frame of a motorcycle is equivalent to about 6 kg reduction of fully laden weight. So saving about 6kgs is substantial and would definitely improve performance
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 12:38   #24
BHPian

Remove the starter motor and put the normal covers. this will reduce as much as 7 kgs. That what i heard.

My almost stock LB500 did 135kmph with a pillion yesterday while we rode to Mahabaleshwar, I have removed the tiny pipe from bend pipe, removed the PAV system and have put on the Golddie with glasswool. and 18' rear wheel. no other modifications.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 16:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This is my old bike. It could've been made lighter but this was right for me.

Attachment 301994
Could you please attach a pic of the LHS to give me a better idea of how you placed the wiring and the battery?

Thanks
howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 18:05   #26
BHPian

Red face stupid question

hi, this might be a stupid question, but how erratic is the speedo. my stock CI 500 raves and rants to hit the 100 kmph mark.
i have just changed to a newer spark plug, but no luck. it seems to be going a lot faster , but the speedo shows only 90 or 100?

what else could be wrong?
deepikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 18:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Sorry, realized that I had a 18T front sproket on my LB500 which I have changed to a 19T. This actually increases the top end by 5-10 Km/hr.
@GB - So the stock is 18T and you have changed to a 19T. I have been considering this change myself. We all know the LB500 has a pronounced tendency to lug at relatively lower speeds in taller gears. Has this change meant that you have to change down even more often? Could you please elaborate on this a bit more.

Secondly, where did you source that PAV blanking nut from? Considering you have to get a new pollution certificate done every 6 months, have you checked the emissions after removing the PAV unit and the Catcon in the bend-pipe?

The high speeds you say your bike can do are impressive, even if they are indicated only considering it is all over by the time my bike hits 100 kph. At some point I am going to use your ideas for weight reduction, but first in line is the oil cooler kit.

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 8th March 2010 at 18:47.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 20:06   #28
BHPian

Default Performance mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
@GB - So the stock is 18T and you have changed to a 19T. I have been considering this change myself. We all know the LB500 has a pronounced tendency to lug at relatively lower speeds in taller gears. Has this change meant that you have to change down even more often? Could you please elaborate on this a bit more.

Secondly, where did you source that PAV blanking nut from? Considering you have to get a new pollution certificate done every 6 months, have you checked the emissions after removing the PAV unit and the Catcon in the bend-pipe?

The high speeds you say your bike can do are impressive, even if they are indicated only considering it is all over by the time my bike hits 100 kph. At some point I am going to use your ideas for weight reduction, but first in line is the oil cooler kit.
B_o_B,

I have been running with this setup for a while now and I just love it. I had researched when I got it done and did not document it well enough. This is what I googled recently that leads me to believe that the AVL has a 18T sprocket from the factory:
19 tooth front sprocket

In any case, I went 1 size larger than what ever I got. But, I can vouch that it has paid off. Secondly, read this article that explains better than I can about the feel after making the change:
Royal Enfield Motorcycles: Big sprocket equals more speed? Maybe

I got the PAV plug made! The guy who made it for me took a regular nut (can't remember the size), welded one open side completely and ground it to look like a dome nut. I then got it chromed. He said this will stronger than getting a regular dome nut.

Yeah, I have done may emission tests and it is absolutely no issue without the cat converter and removal of the PAV.

It can be a boon and a bane with the higer speeds.. I just got myself a speeding ticket on the new airport road in Bangalore I was cruising at 120 and saw the patrol vehicle and immediately slowed down, but, to no avail, I got booked at 95! (I have the ticket to prove it)

I need to get the oil cooling kit myself. When did this come out?
Oil cooling for AVL engined Royal Enfield Bullet Motorcycle | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
Royal Enfield AVL Engine Oil Cooler update with real world data | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

Its been a while since I resumed improvements on my bullet - my Jeep has been taking up too much time Let me know how it goes with the oil cooling kit addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepikins View Post
hi, this might be a stupid question, but how erratic is the speedo. my stock CI 500 raves and rants to hit the 100 kmph mark.
i have just changed to a newer spark plug, but no luck. it seems to be going a lot faster , but the speedo shows only 90 or 100?

what else could be wrong?
deepikins,

Don't worry about asking questions.. we are all in the same boat. After reading posts on this thread, I am also beginning to wonder what %error my speedo is showing. Granted it is not going to be 100% accurate but how much is it off by? If someone is running a different wheel size I can understand that it will be off, but with a 19" wheel is it acceptable if the speedo is off by +/- 5%? How do we correct this problem? Is there a better speedo in the after market?

Last edited by gbanavar : 8th March 2010 at 20:22.
Old 8th March 2010, 22:14   #29
Senior - BHPian

GBanavar,

About the oil coolers, I'll plonk mine on after a couple of weeks. So will Raj I guess. Do you stay close to Nandan's home or workshop? The new bullets' speedo is off by 5-10% at a minimum. However, there are exceptions to this which swing wildly. About sprocketing, I'm still of the opinion that the stock 18T is good enough for the LBs. Here's a accurate digital speedo,
Phitesla Radon Bike Digital Speedometer for Royal Enfield Bullet | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog

Apart from this, you could look at sigma BC1106. It is a cycle digital speedo
that can almost match a speed gun if set up right.

Raj,

For blanking the PAV, a simple bolt that fits in will do.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 03:08   #30
TDC
BHPian

Hi Bluu,

Even I'm on a weight losing mission. Both personally and my bike

I'm keeping the headlight casket cuz, i believe what you have to replace it with weighs almost just as much! I maybe wrong of course. Even though as much as i want to, the main stand is too practical for me to get rid of. Otherwise everything else is being shed.

Got the 18" alloy rims but haven't been able to instal it cuz i can't find a pair of decent matching tires.

Do the K&N, Upgraded carb/rejetting stock carb, and "goldie" exhuast mods.... the results are worth it. You get much more low end torque, and for day to day riding that's the best thing. Get rid of the "hot tube" at the end of the bend pipe.

I've got the Mikuni TM32 on my AVL and there is no clearance issue with the petrol tank and it works just fine.

140 Kmh or 155-160 kmh on an almost stock AVL.... hmmm, I'd say your speedo is wildly optimistic!!!

I checked my speedo with a GPS and above 70kmh the speedo reads a steady 5kmh above GPS. Below 70 its more between 5-8 kmh optimistic. But then I have different profile tires from stock so it may be different from other bikes.

On my AVL I've got a 535cc piston, high lift cams T19 sprocket and other performance mods and even then the fastest i've gone is 141 kmh (GPS). May be if i lie down on the tank I'll get more, but that seems to be it.

For all practical proposes, its not how fast you go, but how you get there. A few basic engine mods and some weight reduction will transform your bike and have you grinning to work every morning (if you ride to work, that is).

@ Cougar: The pic of the bullet with "Nomad" on the front plate, do you have any info on the petrol tank? You know the owner? Some info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Quote:
Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by v12 : 15th November 2010 at 11:34.
TDC is offline   Reply With Quote