Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 16th March 2010, 07:31   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Raj,

I understand what you say and I completely agree with you. Whenever I do 130+, it is just for a few seconds at that speed. Just to feel that surge and to convince myself that all is well and everything is working like it ideally should.Plus the roads just don't permit such speeds for longer durations. Maintaining such high speeds for extended durations will certainly lead to hugely accelerated engine wear. The LB500 is just not built to sustain such speeds, no doubt about that.

Cheers,

Jay
+1 to that. It is more of testing the enhancements to measure the outcome. It is almost impossible to ride at high speeds regularly.

That being said; breaking in of the engine is an important aspect that affects engine performance and reliability. I assume it is common knowledge that break in should be done at different (increasing) RPMs. If you ride constantly at 60 KMPH throughout your breaking in period and then suddenly spurting to test the power at even 80 or 90 can severely impact your engine, so much so that it may seize.

On the other hand, if you stretch your breaking in period and gradually break in the engine at 60, then 70, then 80 and so on, then the impact is positive.

Jay,

Have you done any mods to handle the extra power other than the heavy duty clutch springs?
gbanavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 11:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
Jay,

Have you done any mods to handle the extra power other than the heavy duty clutch springs?
Ganesh,

I'm running on Motul 300V 20W50(RE recommends 20W40) synthetic oil. I guess this is good enough to handle the extra heat generated due to these mods. Oil cooler will be on in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 10:11   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Check your TCI module beneath the seat and check which module you're running. Whether it is the two pin or the three pin one. Two pin = 1000 rpm overrev. Three pin = limited to 6200 rpm.
Jay
Jay,

Here is a picture of my TCI unit. Is this a three pin or two pin? There are two connectors but three sets of wire coming in. If this is changed to a two pin what do you do with the third set of wires?
Attached Thumbnails
RE Bullet - Weight Reduction Program-p1011492.jpg  

Last edited by gbanavar : 17th March 2010 at 10:12.
Old 17th March 2010, 14:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I'm not sure from the picture. The main difference is the number of sockets. To help you better, I am attaching a picture of the two socket TCI. Look under your seat from beneath and compare your TCI with that in this picture.

Cheers,

Jay
Attached Images

JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 15:48   #50
BHPian

Here is another picture at a slightly different angle. You can see the two green sockets (4 pin/2pin) a little better that are plugged in. I don't know what the third connector (white one) is.

I will get better pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
RE Bullet - Weight Reduction Program-p1011494.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2010, 10:28   #51
BHPian

@B_o_B: Were you able to source a 19T front sprocket and make the mod?

@Jay: It was great running into you Saturday and spending a few hours talking bikes and everything else. Good luck with your exam and we will surely hook up again after you are done with it.
Old 19th April 2010, 18:18   #52
BHPian

Guys,

I dug up my box full of changed parts and found a 17T front sprocket. I also found my notes indicating I had changed it to a 18T sprocket.

There - my LB500 certainly came with a stock 17T!! Others here seem to think that it comes with a 18T, now you see why I was confused??
Old 1st October 2014, 18:22   #53
BHPian

Default Re: RE Bullet - Weight Reduction Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
I am endeavoring to reduce the weight of my LB 500 and wanted a couple of pointers about this.

First, is aluminum a suitable substitute for steel on the bike? Particularly for the tank. I have seen a lot of petrol tanks made of aluminum, however, is it pure aluminum or an alloy? How much would it cost to have a lightweight tank fabricated? Where can I get this done in Bangalore?

I also want to know which parts of the bike I can strip away or replace with a lighter material (Fibreglass?). I also want to know if I can replace the yoke with a lighter substitute (or get rid of it completely).

Any help with this is appreciated. Old-skool Bulleteers - please spare me the "a Bullet looks good as it is" sermon. Thanks!
Getting back to lightening and its benefits, you've got to have a look at this, if you haven't already:

http://thekneeslider.com/royal-enfie...fireball-cafe/ and
http://thekneeslider.com/ace-firebal...rformance-kit/

I don't have time to read down through all the notes/posts right now, but there's a lot of great details in there. Read it all some time ago, and seem to remember that they cut better than 20kg from the beast. Also very interesting re: 500cc performance mods - something like double the rear-wheel horsepower, while retaining pretty much the same fuel economy of the stock 500's. Simply amazing what a little tweaking here and there can do.

A few other design ideas here for lighter-weight (but differently-styled) Enfields:

http://thekneeslider.com/mcdeeb-roya...cs-from-italy/

I've always owned lightweight bikes and see their benefits... and at the same time just love the responsive torquey-ness of the 500cc Enfields...

Enjoy,
Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 1st October 2014 at 18:25.
ringoism is offline   Reply With Quote