Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th March 2010, 22:54   #31
BHPian

If you are looking for a commuter and u are looking to make a killing in the savings department by choosing a commuter that gives u excellent milage WITH decent power , suspension , brakes , seating , looks , etc Id say look no further than the P135 . its got 4 valves per cylinder , is torquey and very rpm loving . With keep up with the rest of the 150 brigade except the R15 . The latest in tech from Indian Motorcycles , good milage ( 60 kmpl range ) , plush seats and suspension , digital speedo read out and a tacho ! and it looks great too . I dont own one but I think it is the best bike to buy , wont look or feel outdated 7 yrs from now too - me thinks . Owners can give u better feedback but this is my opinion .

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 10th March 2010 at 22:56.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 10:06   #32
BHPian

Unhappy Not yet decided :(

still i am undecided about pulsar 135, stunner or twister.
i have to decide by this month end.

it would have been lot easier , Only if someone can confirm about the launch dates of new unicorn
chetans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 00:13   #33
BHPian

Thumbs up Going for stunner :)

finally i am thinking of buying the stunner.
As i already have a unicorn, believe honda is reliable, stunner is the only option left from honda stable.
twister is good but i didnt like its skinny tyres and the electric start with disc brakes comes for around 56-57k.

the pulsar 135 is really tempting but bajar reliability is a bit of concern.
stunner has been around for quite a while, and its surely reliable.

my only doubt is regarding the quality of electric start, as stunner doesnt come with kick start option. i dont doudbt unicorns self start, but not sure about stunner though.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:24   #34
BHPian

Stunner FI comes with only electric start option. Stunner carburetted version comes with both electric as well as kick option.

EDIT: Just checked the Honda website. The pics do not show a kicker. I stand corrected.

But, I do not think you need to worry about the electric starter. Honda will provide the highest quality.

Some inputs of Twister.

Today, I test rode the Twister. It does not look as puny as we think. It is really spacious and you can compare it with 125cc bikes. The acceleration is excellent and is in the leagues of 125cc category. Surprisingly the engine is more smooth than Shine/Stunner. The handling in city traffic is excellent. I test rode the bike with pillion and never felt I was riding with a pillion. The pull is great in lower gears. The gear ratios are superbly spaced. And, the ride comfort is excellent with well bolstered wide saddle.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 16th March 2010 at 00:29.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 00:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Stunner FI comes with only electric start option. Stunner carburetted version comes with both electric as well as kick option.
The sales person did tell me that the carburetted version now comes with only elecctric start.

as it was too late, didnt get the test ride.
Old 17th March 2010, 10:36   #36
BHPian

Thumbs up would take test ride and finalise between stunner, unicorn, pulsar 135

Heres my ratings:

Ride: Unicorn, stunner, pulsar 135

Performance: Unicorn, pulsar135-stunner

Mileage: Stunner, pulsar 135LS, Unicorn

Long Drives: Unicorn, Stunner, Pulsar 135LS

Highway Drives: Unicorn, Stunner, Pulsar 135LS

City Commuting: Unicorn, Pulsar 135LS, Stunner

Suspensions: Unicorn, Pulsar 135LS, Stunner

Maintenance: Unicorn, Pulsar 135LS, Stunner

Cost (least one first): Pulsar 135LS, Stunner, Unicorn

Looks: Stunner, Pulsar135, Unicorn.

Graphics: Stunner, Pulsar-135, Unicorn

For tech specs comparison refer below link:
Tech Specs Comparison

Do checkout this comparison at bikeindia:
Comparison of Pulsar 135LS, Unicorn and Stunner
Old 17th March 2010, 14:00   #37
BHPian

i am really impressed by the twister figures,almost match the RX100 on paper.same with pulsar 135.but is that means thier engines stretched to the limits? only time will tell.From the list i think unicorn will be a good choice. stunner is good too, but after using a 150, will be a downgrading ? you should consider FZ , if not GS too.
georgev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 14:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

I would also compare the bore X stroke of the engines and rather stick with a square engine if one is available.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:19   #39
BHPian

Default Which bike? - Unicorn or Apache 160 or SuzukiGS150 or Pulsar135

Hi Guys,

I need a suggestion, i sold off my Pulsar 150cc 2003 model with selfstart recently. I am planning to buy a new bike. My basic requirements are a bike should be a bit heavy, not light like Passion or splendor, i usually cruise at 60 to 80, so there should be no problem in going at that speed, like wobbling when other vehicles pass through, and suspension should be very good as i am very particular about it.Mileage should be around 45-60. I have heard that Unicorn mono suspension dies out at 10k kms, is that true? I have shortlisted 4 bikes.
Important thing is budget is 70,000 Rs.It should have self start.

I am not a great fan of Hero Honda bikes.

Honda Unicorn ( Should i wait for the grandprix edition?, mono shock is a concern)

Apache 160 ( I am floored by the looks, but i want to know the reliability of gearbox and engine life, i use my bikes for a long time, i had the pulsar for 7 years)

Suzuki GS150R ( I have not seen this bike in person and another disadvantage is there is no showroom near to my place :( )

Pulsar 135 ( I will get this bike only if i am assured that i will be able to replace the doom with the 150 doom)

Have i missed any other bike which can be considered for my needs? I require your advice to proceed further, i am planning to get the bike in April as a birthday gift to myself
AbdulRahmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:47   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Unicorn should come with a Mono IMO
test ride a Unicorn and as GS 150R and pick

any well maintained motorcycle shall see the test of time, it is just that Honda's or for that matter other Japs age slowly
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:59   #41
BHPian

Abdul,

For your usage and the kind of roads you drive, I recommend the Yamaha Fazer.
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:03   #42
BHPian

I'd recommend Honda Unicorn from your list. I had a pulsar 150 DTSI, I did not have a pleasant experience with the bike. The older pulsar, the one that came out initially was good. The DTSi engines are not reliable. (Not to offend anybody, just a Personal Experience)

Yamaha FZ is also a great bike, its the best looking bike in the market now. Why don't you give it a shot. And being Yamaha, the maintenance is cheap and the bike is super reliable.
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

I was very impressed with the Suzuki GS 150 R. If I were to change my bike tomorrow, it would be my choice. It fits all your requirements to a 'T'! There is a dealership at Pallavaram, better take a test ride.

My next choice would be the Unicorn. My brother has a 3 year old Uni with 25k on the odo, no problems with the rear shock.

Though I have taken a test ride of the RTR 180 (not 160) and liked it, I have a suspicion it won't age well.

As you say you don't like HH bikes, and also because of the FE you require, I have not suggested the old type Karizma! That would be my number one choice.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:13   #44
BHPian

Yamaha Fazer is a bit costlier and gives less mileage, so its out of question.
AbdulRahmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

My choice would be
1. Honda Unicorn (Any day Japanese products rock); regarding mono shocks, I don't have a say as I've a very good opinion on Honda's products since 70's; they don't die out so easily.
2. Suzuki GS150R, they've lots of goodies for the price they offer & will easily meet your requirements (don't ask me why they don't sell in good number)
3. RTR 180, like you I too believe it has got killer look, especially the Orange & White ones are sweet ones to ride; I third this one due to the poor service of TVS.
4. You should consider ZMA/ZMR because HH makes a good quality motorcycles in India ever since they started their Indian operation; they're very comfortable on long rides.

Good Luck with your choice
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote