Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd March 2010, 11:11   #46
BHPian

Suzuki GS150R is a great bike but one major grouse is the drab headlight.

For people like us in Suburbs, good headlights are something that we cannot give a skip.

You can install HIDs whenever you want anyway.

Also, suzuki has taken less efforts to improve its sales/service network.

You can go for a P135, but it is being marketed more of a city bike. Take a test ride on the GST Road, and find out how it feels.

As far as I know, it should be comfortable in 60-80 speeds.
para_7k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:12   #47
BHPian

Hi,

All the bikes mentioned by you are good and are capable of cruising at 80(Not sure of the pulsar 135 though).

I would pick the RTR based on looks and performance.

At the same time the honda engine is a gem(i would say the smoothest out of the mentioned bikes).But the design is a bit old now.

The suzuki offers a lot of value for the price its offered at.

Also, TD the HH hunk and the zma.IMHO the quality of HH products is pretty decent(At least compared to bajaj ).

Why dont you just TD all of them and make up ur mind..
Forged_Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

From the bikes listed by you
1. New Unicorn
2. Suzuki GS150
3. RTR 160/180
4. Pulsar 135

In the above order of preference. Cruising at 60-80 will be smooth and good both on the Uni and Suzuki. The same cannot be said about the RTR as the 160 vibrates a lot between 65-70. So you have to either be below 65 or above 70 to cruise comfortably. Atleast this is what i have noticed in my 5k kms old RTR160.

Pulsar 135 is very nimble and light for use in the city traffic and in the short test ride i had, i came out impressed. But not sure of the high speed stability. Also fitting a P150 headlight will look out of place on a small bike like the P135. It would also add to the weight which is not good IMHO.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:04   #49
BHPian

Today i test drove the Apache RTR 160 with Rear Discs, was pretty impressed by the braking feedback, but it sure did vibrate at around 60 to 70, though the sales person said it has improved a lot and vibrations are not there now. The bike i rode had clocked 9000 kms. While driving i had to bend a bit. Is this uncomfortable on long rides? I am impressed by the Suzuki, the only thing i am scared about is the service issue which i might face, also if i go for unicorn i have to wait for the grand prix edition, with test ride the suzuki in the next two days and decide. If i dont take the G150R i will take the unicorn gp edition or the RTR 160. My list has shortened to 3 bikes now.
AbdulRahmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:30   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulRahmanM View Post
Today i test drove the Apache RTR 160 with Rear Discs, was pretty impressed by the braking feedback, but it sure did vibrate at around 60 to 70, though the sales person said it has improved a lot and vibrations are not there now. The bike i rode had clocked 9000 kms. While driving i had to bend a bit. Is this uncomfortable on long rides? I am impressed by the Suzuki, the only thing i am scared about is the service issue which i might face, also if i go for unicorn i have to wait for the grand prix edition, with test ride the suzuki in the next two days and decide. If i dont take the G150R i will take the unicorn gp edition or the RTR 160. My list has shortened to 3 bikes now.
If you are not bothered much about the vibes between the 65-70kmph band then you can go for the RTR160/180 based on your preference. It is my daily ride to office [30kms round trip]. If you get used to the seating position and find a position comfortable for you, u will not find it difficult to ride it every day. Have never taken it out on a long ride as I have the P220 for long rides. But friends who have taken an RTR for long rides do complain about pains in the wrist and shoulders/neck.

The GS150R is a good bike which is smooth etc but there are premature rusting issues with the bike. Not sure if its in general or limited to coastal areas & if its already resolved or is still an issue. Better be aware if you decide on one.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 23rd March 2010 at 16:31.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hi AbdulRahmanM

Do consider availability of spares & proximity of service centres at the time of purchase. IN my opinion. HH, Bajaj & TVS would any day score over Honda or Suzuki, especially down South.
Then rusting will also be an issues in coastal areas.

You can go for P135 as it is selling good (over 25k units) these days. If smooth operating engine is your priority you can go for the HH Hunk as it has got the same engine as Unicorn.

Please note that even I do not prefer HH bikes & I have expressed the same in the thread - Which was your first bike on the forum.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi AbdulRahmanM

You can go for P135 as it is selling good (over 25k units) these days. If smooth operating engine is your priority you can go for the HH Hunk as it has got the same engine as Unicorn.

Please note that even I do not prefer HH bikes & I have expressed the same in the thread - Which was your first bike on the forum.
Didnt know that the unicorn and hunk shared the same engine.Cardeep u sure about that?

Just out of curiousity, which HH bike did you have and what were the problems faced by you.
Forged_Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:18   #53
BHPian

After reading all the reviews from other sites too, i feel that the new unicorn would be a safe bet, though my heart is longing for the suzuki gs150, there is no showroom support, the nearest suzuki showroom to me is almost 40 kms, but i have TVS,Honda and Bajaj next to each other, within 2kms from my home. But i will decide on the bikes only after test driving them both. Will do soon and update everyone.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:32   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged_Piston View Post
Didnt know that the unicorn and hunk shared the same engine.Cardeep u sure about that?

Just out of curiousity, which HH bike did you have and what were the problems faced by you.
Unicorn, Hunk and CBZ extreme all have the same mill with varying degrees of tune.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forged_Piston View Post

Yes, I am sure.
HH bought the engine tech from Honda after Pulsar outsold the old CBZ. Please note the specs are similar. Please peruse following links:
1. Honda Unicorn - UNICORN BE A WING RIDER

2. HH Hunk - Hero Honda -:: HUNK::- No One Messes with it

You would clearly see that the two are similar, except few tweaks.

Regarding my first bike, it was a Splendor & please refer the link below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1746115-post154.html

Regards
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:47   #56
BHPian

Since the others have already given their opinions on the other bikes, let me shine some light on the Pulsar 135, as I see you are still oscillating with your decision.

For starters, I just got the delivery of my P-135 about 10 days back. First things first, the mileage - this is something for which I cannot give you a concrete figure, as the bike is relatively new, however, approximate calculations return around 54-57kmpl. I expect it to improve over time.

Looks - Looks great (personal opinion) from the rear and the sides, the front - could be better, though I don't have a problem with it, looks are subjective and I, to be frank, love the overall look it gives.

Headlights - This is something I must give the bike credit about. The throw is excellent. You'll realize it if you drive on an isolated lane at night.

Instrument clusters - Digital meters (except the tacho). The whole console beautifully lights up at night in white. Looks brilliant at night.

Weight - It's light. I am not that built, and I have no problems moving the bike with my hands. However, this could be a factor you might want to look at. Let me tell you again, the bike is definitely going to be lighter than the other's you've considered, so it might be a drawback if you have your own priorities in mind.

Power - Excellent for a 135cc. Never expected this kind of power though. I was asked to stay under 4k rpm for the first 500kms, but I just couldn't hold back on hitting a 6 lane expressway. The bike pulled to 80 km/hr with ease and without any effort. She still had lots of juice left. Hitting 100+ could have easily been possible.

That being said, hope your decision making process becomes easier. All the best on your new bike hunt
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:18   #57
BHPian

AbdulRahmanM, I would suggest you Unicorn out of your list. As you would like to cruise at 60-80 comfortably without vibrations, Uni fits the bill. It has mono-shock suspension which aides in best balance between ride quality and handling.

Also, there is a new Unicorn coming soon. Most probably it will be similar to the one showed in Auto Expo, but I am sure it would be priced 8-10k higher due to the gadgets (rear disk, digital console). I guess the old Uni will be sold along with the new.

P135 is relatively new. You better stay away from it keeping in view the reputation of Bajaj for now. I have seen/known at least 7-8 P135s with oil seal leakages. Seems Bajaj will never learn.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 23rd March 2010 at 23:19.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 09:29   #58
BHPian

If i plan for a bike with rear disc brakes, what would be the maintenance costs like? And how long before it wears off, i guess in drum brakes, we replace the brake shoes, for disc we need to change oil once in two years , am i right?
Old 24th March 2010, 09:37   #59
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure disc brakes at the rear are really required, will be perfectly happy with drums. Front disc will suffice for me. I would stay away from any Bajaj offering.

Last edited by Gansan : 24th March 2010 at 09:39.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 10:03   #60
BHPian

I am talking about apache RTR, this time i am staying away from Bajaj for good.