Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 21:13   #1
BHPian

Default A little help with Pulsar gear shifts

Hey guys,

I'll be taking delivery of my Pulsar 135 LS in a week or two if all goes well. I've driven cars extensively, but when it comes to bikes . . .
I last rode a CD100 in my driving class, for some 5 days (sessions of 30 minutes each). Now, since my dad is not in town, and I'll have to take delivery on a weekday (auspicious day) in the evening, I'll most probably have to take it back home myself.

Now here is where I need some help. The gear shift mechanism of this bike is 1 down + 4 up. Say I am in third gear now. How do I get back to neutral? (A friend did try and say this, I didn't quite understand though). Do I have to shift it downwards (literally) twice, and then shift upwards? But won't that put it in first gear again?

Riding the bike is not a problem. If I get the shifting theory right, I should be fine .
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th March 2010, 21:42   #2
BHPian

Dude dont think so much. You will be fine.
When you are in the third gear if you tap the front half of the gear paddle twice you will come to neutral. To go to the first you tap it down again.
When you have the bike in your hands you will know. It may take some time to get used to.
Enjoy your new ride.
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 22:14   #3
BHPian

Yes, that is correct, the way the gears work is
Supposing it is in neutral and you want to move ahead, you tap it down once to engage 1st, then after reaching around 5-10 kmph you want to go second, so you tap upwards, a little firmly and 2nd will be engaged, if neutral is engaged, just tap upwards once more and then 2nd will be engaged, then again the same procedure for 3rd, 4th and 5th.
Downshifting.
Supposing you are in the third gear and you have to come to a complete halt. You tap downwards once, to come to the 2nd then you tap down again softly to bring it to neutral, many times it will come to 1st (it still happens with me), then just SOFTLY tap upwards.
Hope my small tutorial helps
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 22:37   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Yes, that is correct, the way the gears work is
Supposing it is in neutral and you want to move ahead, you tap it down once to engage 1st, then after reaching around 5-10 kmph you want to go second, so you tap upwards, a little firmly and 2nd will be engaged, if neutral is engaged, just tap upwards once more and then 2nd will be engaged, then again the same procedure for 3rd, 4th and 5th.
Downshifting.
Supposing you are in the third gear and you have to come to a complete halt. You tap downwards once, to come to the 2nd then you tap down again softly to bring it to neutral, many times it will come to 1st (it still happens with me), then just SOFTLY tap upwards.
Hope my small tutorial helps
Thats the right thing. I suggest if you are not well versed riding in traffic of the city, you take a friend for the delivery. Dont know if driving school experience is enough for city trafic. you can ride near your house till u gain enough experience. congrats for the new bike.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 23:06   #5
BHPian

Thanks abhayshanu and akshaymahajan. I think I've got it . Just hope I don't mess up in the middle of the road that's all
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 04:44   #6
BHPian

Even if you mess up, that is fine, you just be calm and ride just the way you feel comfortable.
When i got my bike, i had riding experience of barely 1 km or less, that also only on my building straight road, i just climbed on the bike, rode off slowly, and did the same for 4 kms then picked up my girl friend, by the time i reached her house i was quite comfortable with the bike, so dont worry, you will too.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 05:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just try and avoid a traffic jam or any crowded place.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote