Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th February 2016, 13:29   #541
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides

What better way to spend Valentines day than .... oh wait, this is the ever expanding Team BHP motorcycling group and it was the weekend which meant we had to head out for our regular weekly group ride. So what if it turned turned V Day into D Day for some of us after we got home!

The plan was for a short ride to Mekedatu and we had 10 riders at our meeting point of the NICE - Kanakpura Road junction with half of the group returning after breakfast at Kanakpura. I was personally very happy to see an old friend from my Xbhp days and hands down one of the nicest bikers Ive ever met, join us for the ride on his Daytona R.

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_7988-large.jpg

There was some traffic on the way to Kanakpura which was unusual considering it was an early Sunday morning but it meant the group got split on a few occasions. Breakfast was sumptuous with a second round of idlis and vadas being ordered by most. The group that carried on to Mekedatu consisted of a Z800, N650, CBR250, R15 and Continental GT. With inviting roads and near zero traffic, I caned the bike for a short spell with the Z800 easily keeping pace before we realized we had to wait for the others to catch up. We stopped for a quick round of pictures after we grouped up with the others.

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2142841-large.jpg

The ride to Mekedatu was uneventful though there were some endless curves that caught me off guard on a couple of times even though we were all warned about them. Once we reached Mekedatu, we didnt want to leave our bikes unattended so we turned back and pulled over some distance away instead. Our resident Doc took some nice pictures of us riding past, many of the pictures in this post are from him.

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8051-large.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8062-large.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8070-large.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8074-large.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2142852-large.jpg

The ride back to Bangalore increased in difficulty as we neared the city with the group getting further split on account of the ridiculous levels of traffic (for a Sunday that is). With speeds that were more at home in city commuting, our return was both tiring and slow. I finally caught up with the two Kawasaki riders at our meeting point with my aching wrists blessing me for finally giving them some respite. We waited for a while before checking with the other riders and confirming that they had stopped for a break at a CCD (there's that name again!) and would carry on from there later.

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2142866-large.jpg
Guess what they were cribbing about?

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2142867-large.jpg
This!

Despite the unending traffic on our return (nothing compared to the chaos Bangalore descended into by sunset), it was a nice short Sunday morning ride with a great bunch of riders.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 16:51   #542
BHPian

Some of us are planning to ride to DD hills tomorrow, we are meeting at 6:30 AM at the junction of NICE and Tumkur Road.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 14:08   #543
BHPian

There's a ride planned to Male Mahadeshwara this Saturday (27th Feb). Planning on doing a loop. Go via Kanakapura and return through Mettur-Dhamrmapuri-Hosur. The total distance should be around 400-450 kms. Rendezvous at the Kanakapura-Nice Road junction at 5:30 am.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:00   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
There's a ride planned to Male Mahadeshwara this Saturday (27th Feb). Planning on doing a loop. Go via Kanakapura and return through Mettur-Dhamrmapuri-Hosur. The total distance should be around 400-450 kms. Rendezvous at the Kanakapura-Nice Road junction at 5:30 am.
One day trip? If possible, kindly post route map.
Aniket6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:56   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
One day trip? If possible, kindly post route map.
This is the route we intend taking
Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-bangalore-mala-mahadeshwara-bangalore-loop.png

The plan is to leave at 5:30-6 am and return latest by 2:30-3 pm.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd February 2016 at 16:05. Reason: Fixed quotes
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 23:52   #546
BHPian

Default Anchetty again

This was a weekend with not the usual one but two rides for the increasingly active TBHP biking group. The original destination for the Saturday ride was the top secret HQ of the group at DD Hills but that ended up being scrapped at the last minute for the ever popular Anchetty loop. The Sunday ride instead ended up being to DD Hills but I had to sit that one out .

The Kanakpura road was pleasantly bereft of traffic on Saturday (a far cry from the overcrowded mess on the 14th) and we had a total of 3 riders with an R15, Continental GT and D390 each. It certainly was cool but nowhere close to as cold as what it was a few weeks ago when we rode out for our CCRO ride. This is going to be one sweltering summer in Bangalore for sure. We pulled over before Kanakpura to wait for one of our riders to catch up with us before we stopped for our breakfast of delicious thatte idlis and vada.

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2202887-large.jpg

Once we were done with our heavy breakfast we proceeded onto the Anchetty loop with a little sightseeing thrown in for good measure. Bare minimal traffic, clear blue skies, narrow winding roads and greenery that was slowly turning to light shades of brown. Well except for the last one, what more could you ask for? Once you cross over into Tamil Nadu at the rather nondescript border, the roads narrows down appreciably and the corners become so much more challenging and business picks up. You could ride a 100 cc commuter and have so much more fun on this loop than if you had a big bike and rode to Nandi Hills. A sublime way to spend a Saturday. We stopped for a quick break to give ourselves a breather and click a few pictures after having wrung the bikes by their necks for quite a while. You gotta love the Tick! Tick! Tick! sound from the Continental GT after a good hard ride.

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2202907-large.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2202913-large.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2202918-large.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-p2202924-large.jpg

We stopped a few times for pictures and in case you are wondering why there is no third bike in any of them, he wasnt looking to match our pace so he gave us the thumbs up to proceed while he would follow. The stretch from Anchetty towards Hosur was very scenic but there were multiple small potholes that have come up recently and it was the worst weekend to experiment with tire pressure as my bike thudded through each of them with spine jarring results on every occasion. Each time I slowed down, the D390 took off and left me eating its dust. The acceleration on that bike is just mind boggling to someone who is watching from another bike while doing good speeds himself, I cant imagine what it will be like on it. With the heat getting to us, we had to stop for a break and after the Duke fuelled up we took the left at the big junction before Hosur (the one with the petrol pump on the left) and it took us past the very impressive TVS plant before we rode across the border into potholded Karnataka roads. It saved us a lot of time but the bad roads balanced out the positives. After navigating through a really bad traffic block on Hosur Road, we said our goodbyes before parting ways at the NICE road junction.

All in all, it was another really good ride with the D390 and the Continental GT proving their mettle. It also served as a not so gently reminder to us that with summer round the corner, long rides are going to get harder and harder. Not that it will stop us or anything.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 23rd February 2016 at 23:55.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 12:14   #547
BHPian

Neil, thanks for the write up!! It would be unfair if I didn't mention my humble Duke trying to keep up with "Cap'n" CGT on those curves. On a serious note, the curves on Anchetty loop is worth riding. It was more like lessons on cornering. Adding another picture taken from my phone. That sums up to the 3 of us Cheers to biking brotherhood!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_20160220_071754.jpg  

Ikoner_03 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 21:09   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was personally very happy to see an old friend from my Xbhp days and hands down one of the nicest bikers Ive ever met, join us for the ride on his Daytona R.
If I'm not wrong, this is Ajay who did the SS1600 on his R1 right?
AbelAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 22:43   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
If I'm not wrong, this is Ajay who did the SS1600 on his R1 right?
Yes, you are right. He now has the Daytona 675R in the picture.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 21:19   #550
BHPian

I'm planning on a ride this Saturday. Bangalore to Gubbi. The route onward is via Tumkur and planning to come back via Nittur-Belur Cross-Nelmangala (or Gubbi-Hebbur-Kunigal-Nelmangala). The total distance should be around 200-250 kms
Rendezvous is at the Nice - Tumkur Raod junction at 5AM and plan to return back by 9-10AM.
If anyone wants to join, PM me.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 11:07   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Long weekend coming up as this Friday is a holiday on account of Ugadi.

Though not a Sunday morning ride, a few of us are riding out on Saturday, 9th April.

Destination is undecided as yet but we will be doing an all day ride - starting early in the AM and returning a little before sundown.

Anyone wants to join in, please feel free. Do send me a PM or reply to my post and I shall share the details of the meeting point and time with the intended destination.

Goes without saying, protective riding gear such as helmet, armored jacket, gloves, knee guards/riding pants and boots are mandatory.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 12:09   #552
BHPian

We are riding to our top secret headquarters located at DD hills tomorrow. The meeting point is the junction of Tumkur Road and NICE Road (easy enough to spot on google maps). We will be there by 6:15.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 16:09   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
We are riding to our top secret headquarters located at DD hills tomorrow. The meeting point is the junction of Tumkur Road and NICE Road (easy enough to spot on google maps). We will be there by 6:15.
Can't wait to meet everybody.
Who all joining?
Aniket6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 18:09   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Can't wait to meet everybody.
Who all joining?
About 7 to 8 of us bud! Somehow the 'Muhurtam' for you joining the group on a ride has been getting postponed since a long time. Looking forward to catch up tomorrow!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 19:44   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
About 7 to 8 of us bud!
Moments like these when you miss Bangalore terribly and conclude that it's important in life to have amazing riding buddies rather than amazing workplace colleagues.

Have a good one, mates. Expecting a lot of pictures!
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote