Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th July 2016, 23:16   #571
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
There's a ride planned to Madhugiri this Saturday. We go via Dabaspet and return via Sira. A total of 200-250 klms. Rendezvous is at 6:15 am at the Nice- Tumkur Road exit.
Good luck climbing the steps. But the view is amazing!

Was one of my first dawn rides on the D4.
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 00:06   #572
BHPian

Call me lazy but I’d like to put it this way – “I’ve been busy”.

To put things in perspective, my last ride with the ‘TBBB’ gang was on 30th April and I inadvertently took a hiatus from riding! 2 months is a long time and no rides makes anyone a dull boy, erm, person, man, woman, whatever you wanna call it! Of course, I used to do the odd office commute but it was not what you call ‘fun’ because it was on the wretched ORR! July came and I finally decided that this is not done. It doesn’t matter if I’ve a busy schedule or if I haven’t slept well or if I’ve to meet my fiancé, I have to make time to pursue the only passion that I’ve in my life – RIDING!

Lepakshi

The plan was set to ride to Lepakshi on the second Sunday of this month. Four of us made the group – Goandude, Mashblue, black12rr and myself. We met near Esteem mall by 6 30am and proceeded towards the breakfast point at Kamat Upachar. We were probably the first customers there but within no time a group of HOGs arrived. They made a lovely racket and were the center of attraction for the next 45 mins. Post breakfast, we hit the highway towards Lepakshi. Weather was lovely with overcast conditions and low temperatures. We even came across a light drizzle on a couple of occasions. On the flip side though, we had to encounter heavy crosswinds throughout the ride. I had replaced my bike’s tires from the stock IRCs to Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs and before this ride, had done only 200kms on them. I wasn’t confident with them as they are a much rounder profile than the IRCs and the bike was feeling twitchy even in a straight line. The crosswinds made matters worse for me. The bike was moving around the entire time and my heart was literally in my mouth. I still wonder now how I made the 270km ride!

Anyway, we reached Lepakshi, Mashblue and black12rr decided to go inside the temple while Goandude and myself kept watch on the bikes. We spent about an hour there and decided to head towards Chitravathi dam on the way back. Nothing exciting about the dam though as it was running dry but it gave us an opportunity to park the bikes in a picturesque spot and click some pictures. The return leg was the usual affair with heavy crosswinds. The worst part of the ride was when we hit Hebbal! It was jam packed from the flyover till the Golf course for me! Somehow rode through the maddening vehicles and reached home by 1pm. All in all a good ride.

Highlight of the ride was all of rode each other’s bikes. I rode the CBR650F and the Duke390. Both of them registered a BIG grin on my face. The 650 is butter smooth and feels like an electric with the way it develops its torque right from the word go. Very agile and you feel confident right from the moment you sit on the saddle. It is not intimidating for a 600cc bike. I’ll say ‘Good job Honda, well done!’ The Duke 390 was a beast! It was surprising how much power they could pack into that little bike! I’ve run short of adjectives to describe my experience! I fully understand now why it is the best VFM proposition in India!!!

Some pictures –

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8678.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8690.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8698.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8697.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8700.jpg

Madhugiri

Today’s plan was to ride to Madhugiri and again it was 4 of us – Mashblue, shan_ned, Aniket6 and myself. I’d never been to Madhugiri and was excited to ride there as my dad had told me that the roads were really good.
We met up near the JAS toll on Tumkur highway at 6 30am and proceeded towards Dabaspet, our breakfast stop at Kamat. Breakfast was a typical Kamat affair, bland, not very tasty but nothing wrong with it. After filling our stomachs, we suited up and hit the road towards Madhugiri. The weather was even better this time. Overcast with black clouds threatening to hit the land with heavy rains. The forecast also confirmed the same with 90% chances of rain which thankfully, didn’t happen. Bonus for me was no crosswinds at all. Happy to report that the bike was fun this time around with no nervous behavior whatsoever. I did some serious speeds which cannot be mentioned here and bike was supremely stable. The DR IIs have ample grip and then some more! The confidence that you get on a straight line and while cornering is positive. They are infinitely better that the stock IRCs. I had this feeling that something was seriously wrong with the alignment after last weekend’s ride but now it can be fully attributed to the strong crosswinds.

The road from Dabaspet-Koratagere-Madhugiri is impeccable! Superbly laid out and with clear markings for bus stops, dividers and halting points although there were a few sections where the road work had to be completed. All of us were impressed with the road, coupled with beautiful sceneries around and very less traffic, it was refreshing to say the least! We halted at couple of places to soak in the nature and click photographs. Madhugiri has a fort and a temple on top of a cliff which is worth visiting and this meant we had to head into the town, park our bikes on the road and climb up the cliff. Decided to do this next time.

On the way back we took an off-road path to go near a lake. I am usually adamantly apprehensive about taking my bike anywhere where there is no tarmac but this spot was inviting to say the least so decided the go down the muddy path. The mud was wet from the previous day’s rain and we all had a few scary moments. In the end it was worth it as you can see from the pictures.

This ride will go down as one of the best rides in my books. I am look forward to go there again!

Some pictures –

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-001.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8704.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8707.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-003.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-002.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8738.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8751.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-img_8752.jpg

Had the opportunity to ride Aniket’s R3 on this ride and here’re my views on the bike as compared to my N250 –

Pros
  • Butter smooth engine. Rubber mountings make all the difference.
  • Smooth gearshifts, light clutch.
  • Awesome cockpit. Love the analog tacho – digital speedo design.
  • Comfortable upright riding position.
  • Bike was equipped with Pirelli Diablo Ross IIs and the handling was positive.
  • Lighter and flickable than the N250.

Cons
  • Brakes felt spongy and lacked feel.
  • Rear suspension was soft. Bike squirts under acceleration.
  • Quality of some parts were inferior to the N250.
  • N250 sounds better.

Last edited by Porschefire : 17th July 2016 at 00:28.
Porschefire is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 12:52   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
It doesn’t matter if I’ve a busy schedule or if I haven’t slept well or if I’ve to meet my fiancé, I have to make time to pursue the only passion that I’ve in my life – RIDING![/list]
Great write ups there Porshefire. And wonderful pics too. The roads to Madhugiri are to look forward to. Yup the 650F is a gem of a bike, the 4 cylinders make it so much smoother than my 2 pot. But having got used to the N650's upright riding position, the more sporty ergos of the 650F felt quite different. Loved the gear shift and light clutch.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 12:22   #574
BHPian

I'm planning on a ride to Shettihalli Church this Saturday. Total distance would be around 400-450 kms. Plan on starting by 5-5:30am from Nelamangala junction.
Let me know if anyone wants to join.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 13:10   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
I'm planning on a ride to Shettihalli Church this Saturday. Total distance would be around 400-450 kms. Plan on starting by 5-5:30am from Nelamangala junction.
Let me know if anyone wants to join.
Hi Snehal,
Did this ride happen? I saw the pics of the location online and it looks like an amazing place, was the church submerged due to monsoon or was it visible? sharing few pics and route details will help us, as we [small riding group- a RE Desert Storm, an Electra and 1 Benelli 25] are planning to visit this place shortly. TIA!

Regards,
-Badri
Full_Minchingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 14:01   #576
BHPian

I didn't go to Shettihalli unfortunately. Since the Karnataka bandh was called for on Saturday, didn't have the courage to venture out on a long ride.
If you folks are planning on going do let me know, I could join you guys.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 15:51   #577
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Minchingu View Post
I saw the pics of the location online and it looks like an amazing place, was the church submerged due to monsoon or was it visible?
As of last week, the Church wasn't submerged and was very much accessible.
I'd visited last month and it was the same even then. Will try to share the pictures soon.

Last edited by NPV : 5th August 2016 at 15:58.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 16:07   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

This should help & this was last Sunday when we went for a Group drive:

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-13680478_997140877068665_4946706508488664774_o.jpg

And trust me rains haven't been showering as it has to in this region as a lot of catchment areas in Malnad region have so far received deficient rainfall.

Photograph Source
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 10:33   #579
BHPian

At long last we finally rode to Shettihalli Church after weeks of planning and cancelling for various reasons. We started at 7:00 AM from the Nelamangala Junction and after a leisurely breakfast at Mayura Hotel (Bellur Cross) we rode on towards the destination.
We took the easiest route possible which is via the Bangalore - Mangalore Road and just after Hassan, we turned left on to the Gorur Road. There was quite a bit of traffic on the onward journey.
The lack of signboards to the church seemed to have been the only sour point and we had to stop frequently to ask for directions to reach the church.
Luckily for us the church wasn't submerged and we could ride right upto it.
The traffic on our return leg was a bare minimum and we reached Bangalore at around 3:00 PM.

The route we took to reach the church.
Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-route-shettihalli-church.png

A few pics.of the place.
Name:  WP_20160806_11_04_44_Pro.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  180.0 KB
Name:  WP_20160806_11_05_09_Pro.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  146.6 KB
Name:  WP_20160806_11_05_45_Pro.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  147.7 KB
Name:  WP_20160806_11_05_53_Pro.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  126.3 KB
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 14:03   #580
BHPian

Today’s ride with Porschefire, Mashblue and unk9ja to Sira via Madhugiri was in search of a restaurant that we got to know about through a blog. We never found the restaurant though and ended up eating breakfast at, I suppose, an equally good place on the Madhugiri – Sira road.

We started at 6:30 AM just after the Nelamangala Toll and turned right to Madhugiri just after Dabbaspet. The last time I rode this stretch (Sira – Madhugiri – Dabbaspet) there was a lot of road work going on. This time, except for a few patches that is still being done up, almost 95% of the road was done up.

We reached Madhugiri and after a lot of frantic searching for the said restaurant, we gave up hope and decided to stop at some random place for breakfast. Breakfast consisted of plain dosa, chutney, green peas curry and chilly baji/pakoda. Breakfast done, we headed to Sira and then took the Bangalore – Pune Highway to return back to Bangalore and home.

This was one of the few rides where none of us bothered to take any worthwhile pictures except for a few random ones that I took just after we turned on to the highway on our return leg.

Name:  WP_20160828_09_12_16_Pro.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  146.5 KB
Name:  WP_20160828_09_17_00_Pro.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  154.9 KB
Name:  WP_20160828_10_41_11_Pro.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  176.4 KB
Name:  WP_20160828_10_41_46_Pro.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  166.0 KB
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 18:10   #581
BHPian

A couple from my phone cam.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-1472388012765.jpg  

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-1472388032800.jpg  

unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 20:20   #582
BHPian

We are planning on a ride to BR Hills tomorrow. Start at 6AM from the Kanakapura - Nice Road junction and return early evening. A total of 375 odd km's.
Do PM me if anyone wants to join.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:27   #583
BHPian

^^^ Snehal and I invoked the elephant god by riding to BR Hills yesterday and true to his fame the lord removed all obstacles for us, at least those on Kanakpura road - never saw the stretch between the city and Kanakpura town with such less traffic!

The route after KNP town was a dream to drive on as always with lip smacking tarmac and no traffic. We turned left right after Kollegal and followed the signboards with Snehal's bad boy Harley making short work of some patchy tarmac through villages while my teeth chattered on the R15. The surface passing through the reserve was simply unbelievable: blemishless with curves in all the right places - a bikers delight.

We lingered long enough on the hilltop to shoot off some snaps before making our way back, and this time our search for good tarmac all through brought us back on NH 209 via Yellandur, added maybe 10 kms but helped skip the patchy village stretch.

Even with a hearty kabab breakfast at an eatery right before the small bridge at the beginning of Kollegal and a number of tea + smoke breaks, we covered 380 kms were still able to get back home for a late lunch.

Some mandatory pics

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-wp_20160905_08_23_03_pro.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-wp_20160905_10_14_04_pro.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-wp_20160905_10_51_55_pro.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-wp_20160905_10_51_50_pro.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-wp_20160905_10_27_16_pro.jpg
hothatchaway is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:52   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
^^^ Snehal and I invoked the elephant god by riding to BR Hills yesterday and true to his fame the lord removed all obstacles for us --SNIP--
Nice one guys! BR hills is simply beautiful to ride to any time of the year!

While these guys rode on Ganesh Chaturthi when the rest of us were on a mandatory house arrest, I happened to do a last minute monsoon ride on Saturday. The idea was to ride to Sakleshpur in search of some rains and ride on some beautiful roads surrounded by the lush greenery of Dakshina Kannada!

Route: Bangalore - Magadi - Solur - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Manjarabad Fort - Hethur - Manjarabad Fort - Hanbal - Achanahhali (Rottikallu) - Hanbal - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Bangalore.

Covered about 570 km totally and clicked a lot of pictures.

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-bf.jpg
A Calm Breakfast stop!

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-fields.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-nature.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-nature2.jpg
A caption used by one of the nature resorts nearby - "In the lap of nature" - Quite literally!

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-offroad.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-pano1.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-pano2.jpg

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-twisties.jpg
Them twisties!

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-untrodden.jpg
An untrodden path!

Bangalore - Sunday Morning Short Rides-view.jpg
The view!

And finally, came across a small water crossing in one of the remote roads near Hanbal and decided to record the same!

Added_flavor is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 14:53   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
^^^ Snehal and I invoked the elephant god by riding to BR Hills yesterday and true to his fame the lord removed all obstacles for us, at least those on Kanakpura road - never saw the stretch between the city and Kanakpura town with such less traffic!
A few pics that I took during this ride.

Name:  WP_20160905_08_18_03_Pro.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  WP_20160905_08_25_00_Pro.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  177.9 KB

Name:  WP_20160905_08_25_26_Pro.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  WP_20160905_10_52_17_Pro.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  123.3 KB