Team-BHP - P150 Engine Decarb at 22K kms
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   P150 Engine Decarb at 22K kms (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/77451-p150-engine-decarb-22k-kms.html)

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in our Engine Decarbonisation Article. Thanks

I gave my P150 bike for service over the weekend. It has run close to 22k Kms. Last service was done at 19k kms. Off late i observed a drop in pickup at 6000 RPM. The service guy checked the engine oil level and said only 50 ml of oil is left .

The reason he gave was since bike is running on K&N filter, after every 20K kms, the engine has to be de-carbonized and values replaced. Otherwise carbon gets accumulated on the valves and oil will burn in the engine.

Anyone riding their bike with K&N experiencing this problem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by _abhishek (Post 1783324)
I gave my P150 bike for service over the weekend. It has run close to 22k Kms. Last service was done at 19k kms. Off late i observed a drop in pickup at 6000 RPM. The service guy checked the engine oil level and said only 50 ml of oil is left .

The reason he gave was since bike is running on K&N filter, after every 20K kms, the engine has to be de-carbonized and values replaced. Otherwise carbon gets accumulated on the valves and oil will burn in the engine.

Alright, did you upjet after you plonked the K&N on? Also, what speeds do you do usually? If you do extended high speeds without upjetting with a K&N, chances are that your exhaust valve will get fried.

About decarbonization he is right. But changing the valves during a decarb job/or at 20K kilometers is utter crap. Maybe he is saying this because your bike is consuming oil. Also, your p150's engine seems to be consuming oil.

Many factors for this, including worn out valve guides to worn piston rings. Also, did you check the oil level? How did he determine that only 50 ml oil was left? Looking at the dipstick won't work in this case as 50 ml won't be recorded on the dipstick.

Also, what are the other symptoms apart from drop in the pick up. Check your spark plug and muffler for oil deposits. And if you're P150 really has only 50ml oil. Don;t ride till you top the oil up to the recommended levels.

Cheers,

Jay

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPrashanth (Post 1783856)
Alright, did you upjet after you plonked the K&N on? Also, what speeds do you do usually? If you do extended high speeds without upjetting with a K&N, chances are that your exhaust valve will get fried.

About decarbonization he is right. But changing the valves during a decarb job/or at 20K kilometers is utter crap. Maybe he is saying this because your bike is consuming oil. Also, your p150's engine seems to be consuming oil.

Many factors for this, including worn out valve guides to worn piston rings. Also, did you check the oil level? How did he determine that only 50 ml oil was left? Looking at the dipstick won't work in this case as 50 ml won't be recorded on the dipstick.

Also, what are the other symptoms apart from drop in the pick up. Check your spark plug and muffler for oil deposits. And if you're P150 really has only 50ml oil. Don;t ride till you top the oil up to the recommended levels.

Cheers,

Jay

Hi,
I havent done upjetting after putting K&N filter. When I put the filter my bike had done only about 2500 kms. So didnt want to upjet then.

Normally I do 70 - 80+. So as you said because of speeding without upjetting, value might have got damaged.

He removed the engine oil and found only 50ml came out. Anyways I have got the servicing done now and also changed the values. But I am still not satisfied with the explanation he gave for this. I know people who have done more than 35k kms with K&N filter and at more speeds than mine and still facing no problem.

I got my bike from service today. Just before leaving his workshop he called me and said one of the spark plug is broken. I was like how the heck can this break now. He said while fitting the plug broke. I had NGK iridium plugs in my bike. Currently its running with one normal plug and one NGK. WIll get a new plug over the weekend.

But somehow I started getting the feeling that I have been taken for a ride. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by _abhishek (Post 1786311)
Hi,
I havent done upjetting after putting K&N filter. When I put the filter my bike had done only about 2500 kms. So didnt want to upjet then.

Normally I do 70 - 80+. So as you said because of speeding without upjetting, value might have got damaged.

He removed the engine oil and found only 50ml came out. Anyways I have got the servicing done now and also changed the values. But I am still not satisfied with the explanation he gave for this. I know people who have done more than 35k kms with K&N filter and at more speeds than mine and still facing no problem.

I got my bike from service today. Just before leaving his workshop he called me and said one of the spark plug is broken. I was like how the heck can this break now. He said while fitting the plug broke. I had NGK iridium plugs in my bike. Currently its running with one normal plug and one NGK. WIll get a new plug over the weekend.

But somehow I started getting the feeling that I have been taken for a ride. :Frustrati

Speeds of 70-80 without upjetting, in theory should not result in burnt valves. But then again, one cannot be sure as there are other factors.

Make sure that the non iridium and the iridium spark plug you are running are of the same heat range. Wrong heat range could cause detonation and a whole set of other problems. Did he show you the broken plug?

Cheers,

Jay

The spark plug i feel the mechanic himself broke accidently . he may be trying to adjust the iridium plug but hey dont need any cleaning or tuning .they have tiny high quality tip and mechanics with their brutish skills might have damaged it . you should post a pic of the broken plug .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody (Post 1788105)
The spark plug i feel the mechanic himself broke accidently . he may be trying to adjust the iridium plug but hey dont need any cleaning or tuning .they have tiny high quality tip and mechanics with their brutish skills might have damaged it . you should post a pic of the broken plug .

Iridium plugs foul more easily than conventional spark plugs. Only way to set right a fouled iridium plug is by sandblasting. Contrary to the notion that fouled iridium plugs cannot be used, they can by sandblasting.

Cheers,

Jay

Quote:

Originally Posted by _abhishek (Post 1783324)

if only 50ml of oil is left then engine must be fried by now. Oil can enter combustion chamber thru worn out piston rings, worn our valve guides/seals. Engine needs to be opened to find out the root cause. SInce the valve train is usually teh last to receive oil, it might have suffered damage too.

If you have white smoke at exhaust at high rpm then its the rings. If it smokes at start up and tends to go down then its the valves. In your case proably both will need to be replaced.