Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2015, 15:44   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,799
Thanked: 983 Times
Default Re: The Safe Riding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
. A rider stays on board more by way of balance and gripping the petrol tank lightly with his knees, than by hanging on to the handlebars!

I suppose the principle applies to all bikes, nevertheless! Please correct me if I am wrong!
Gansan sir - You are right, albeit partially. I may be biased here because I ride a cruiser. You cannot grip the tank with the knees on types of bikes. Only sports versions perhaps?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 16:34   #197
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 10
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: The Safe Riding thread

Precious thread, this!

On helmets... I have recently started riding around Pune, and am aghast at the sheer number of people riding without helmets. Makes me wonder if rules were lax in Mumbai, that's the way things would be there as well. Worse, a lot of people have helmets, but they are propped up on the rearview mirror! Where's the sense in that? It makes the handling more uncomfortable anyways. For maybe a 100 meter ride from one shop to another, it's all right, but I recently had the luxury of riding next to a guy for more than 3-4 kms like that!
himanshumodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 19:55   #198
Newbie
 
VaidhiR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 17
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The Safe Riding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshumodi View Post
. For maybe a 100 meter ride from one shop to another, it's all right
Its not about the distance Himanshu. Be it 100m or 100km. In a country where the roads are always hidden with surprises, I dont think its wise to drive around without a helmet. Statistics show that a fall from 17 kmph could prove fatal. And that for a 90 degree impact from the side, a speed as low as 12 kmph could prove fatal. If I were the law maker, I would make full face helmets mandatory.
VaidhiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 01:19   #199
psn
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 68
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

I am not a biker, but I believe that a person who rides an Enfield or a Harley is more than your usual biker. He is not using this bike to comute from Point A to Point B. Its about a lifestyle, and also an expression of who he is.

However, today I saw three bikers in Hyderabad who were riding their Harley's and none of them was wearing a helmet. Upon seeing it, for some reason, I just realized, that whatever I have written in the first 3 lines is wrong. Spiderman said, with great power comes great responsibility, and I hope that people who buy a Harley or an Enfield realize that when even non-riders like me, when we look at them, we automatically expect a lot of responsible behavior from them.
I wish for the sake of other Harley owners these 3 individuals return their bikes to the showroom as they don't deserve such good things. Just coz you can buy it doesn't mean should.
Seething with anger.
psn is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 06:19   #200
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

I totally agree. In fact, I see enough idiots on 'super bikes' in Bangalore, riding at absurd speeds. They are a menace to others on the road as well. Should be arrested.
kumar2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 08:12   #201
BHPian
 
StepUP!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 217
Thanked: 374 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

No need to bestow such tags on a Harley or an Enfield rider. Just because they spend more money on bikes doesn't make them different. Irrespective of you ride an Activa or a Hayabussa, Hemet is a basic gear to wear.
StepUP! is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 09:15   #202
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore / MENA
Posts: 671
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

I thought Uncle Ben told the line to Spidey

Laws of Physics, Gravity, and in some places, Traffic Laws, does not care about the bike or the cost of the bike when it comes to helmet usage.

Common sense might make one wear one. But, as can be seen on the roads, not so common to see.

As a "role model", one might be expected to wear. But in Indian society, kids don't even learn to stand in queue from adults, so helmet wearing is way down the list.

So, live and let live(or die).

Just be sure to ride safe!!

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 09:29   #203
BHPian
 
AutoInt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 119
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
I thought Uncle Ben told the line to Spidey

As a "role model", one might be expected to wear. But in Indian society, kids don't even learn to stand in queue from adults, so helmet wearing is way down the list.

Cheers.
This is the sad reality and it is frustrating to see the kids do not have the opportunity to learn the discipline, be it standing in the queue, following traffic rules etc.

I also have seen super bikes driven rashly in a narrow lanes in Bangalore by few, and there are others who live up to the responsibility of having more powerful super bikes
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 10:59   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,956
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

Why only Harley or a Bullet? Does it mean that a person riding an Activa or a Splendor can ride without a helmet? forget riding gear?
And why this discrimination of superbikes being ridden rashly? What about the 100cc 2 stroke wonderboys from Kurla? Are they made of steel and titanium like Ironman? Or can they be excused because they belong to a lower strata of the society and ride relatively 'puny' bikes?
IMO a puny 2 stroke Yamaha is more dangerous even at 80kmph because of the way these morons cut and weave through traffic, at-least a superbike has devices such as abs to help the rider slow down safely unlike the nylon tyred drum brakes on the Yamaha.
This thread doesn't make any sense, ideally everyone on two wheels must wear a helmet, if possible riding gear and respect all road rules. There is nothing like a guy on a bigger bike setting examples for the others, we are not in kindergarten.
apachelongbow is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 11:01   #205
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 769
Thanked: 1,124 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

To begin with, a person who rides an Enfield/Harley/Any Superbike IS a normal biker. What, he proclaimed he's above all through his exhaust? Or because he's riding a heavy motorcycle and you reckon that he must possess the power of Atlas to control such heavy weight?

'Heavy' motorcycles are as nimble as a commuter motorcycle after catching decent speed. Yes, in traffic, they're a nightmare.

Coming to your point, I would say this - It is NOT necessary for someone to be above a 'normal' biker just because he's riding a machine that gives out more horses than you. Maybe he's just going out for a test ride on a friend's bike (probably riding it for the first time) and hence he has no concern over the safety of his friend's bike nor his own life. It has happened with me, you know. Gave my bike to a friend for a spin and got phone calls within 2 minutes that my ride was being revved hard and ridden hazardously. Immediately asked him to return, and downgraded his status to an acquaintance. My motorcycle and it's well being is my priority. Period.

A person who is geared up with a proper helmet is certainly above 'normal', only because he has the realisation of the respect he must give to his machine, because he knows that any funny business when it comes to his bike would land him in biker heaven. It's that simple. Same applies to everyone. Just because your motorcycle is of 100cc doesn't mean you shouldn't wear your helmet and ride with caution. We remember the RX-100, don't we?

It all comes down to this. As a motorcycle owner, you need to set an example to others. People should realise that every geared up biker is not participating in a drag race. In my opinion, a fully geared up rider always looks way more 'cooler' than the one who doesn't. I personally vouch for it. Has happened with me and my co-riders when we have stolen the show from squids.

Would end with a quote that I really like for it's hidden meaning.

'I look my best just as I'm taking off my helmet after a long satisfying motorcycle ride.'
- Eric Bana
barcalad is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 11:38   #206
BHPian
 
adrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 751
Thanked: 587 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post

A person who is geared up with a proper helmet is certainly above 'normal', only because he has the realisation of the respect he must give to his machine, because he knows that any funny business when it comes to his bike would land him in biker heaven.

It all comes down to this. As a motorcycle owner, you need to set an example to others. People should realise that every geared up biker is not participating in a drag race. In my opinion, a fully geared up rider always looks way more 'cooler' than the one who doesn't.
Couldn't explain it better

It is the rider that matters. My respect would always go to an ATGATT rider on a Splendor than a rider in fools gear on a Harley Davidson Electra Glide. Only if you love yourself that you can love your motorcycle.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 18:43   #207
psn
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 68
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
To begin with, a person who rides an Enfield/Harley/Any Superbike IS a normal biker. What, he proclaimed he's above all through his exhaust? Or because he's riding a heavy motorcycle and you reckon that he must possess the power of Atlas to control such heavy weight?

'Heavy' motorcycles are as nimble as a commuter motorcycle after catching decent speed. Yes, in traffic, they're a nightmare.

Coming to your point, I would say this - It is NOT necessary for someone to be above a 'normal' biker just because he's riding a machine that gives out more horses than you. Maybe he's just going out for a test ride on a friend's bike (probably riding it for the first time) and hence he has no concern over the safety of his friend's bike nor his own life. It has happened with me, you know. Gave my bike to a friend for a spin and got phone calls within 2 minutes that my ride was being revved hard and ridden hazardously. Immediately asked him to return, and downgraded his status to an acquaintance. My motorcycle and it's well being is my priority. Period.

A person who is geared up with a proper helmet is certainly above 'normal', only because he has the realisation of the respect he must give to his machine, because he knows that any funny business when it comes to his bike would land him in biker heaven. It's that simple. Same applies to everyone. Just because your motorcycle is of 100cc doesn't mean you shouldn't wear your helmet and ride with caution. We remember the RX-100, don't we?

It all comes down to this. As a motorcycle owner, you need to set an example to others. People should realise that every geared up biker is not participating in a drag race. In my opinion, a fully geared up rider always looks way more 'cooler' than the one who doesn't. I personally vouch for it. Has happened with me and my co-riders when we have stolen the show from squids.

Would end with a quote that I really like for it's hidden meaning.

'I look my best just as I'm taking off my helmet after a long satisfying motorcycle ride.'
- Eric Bana
Very very well put. I really wish everybody thinks like you do. I am sure that there are people, no matter which vehicle they drive, respect the vehicle, other fellow drivers and pedestrians. But for some reason, I expect a person who is buying such vehicles to definitely respect the vehicle. The vehicles deserve to be respected. I expect them to take care of it like their baby\friend. And therefore, my expectation from them is also more. And yes I expect him to be more responsible.
psn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 19:03   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,314 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

If a person uses a machine irresponsibly and then pays the price, it is on his/her own head.
Machines make great servants but equally they make terrible masters!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 10:17   #209
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 1,037 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

Well from what I have observed through all these years of riding experience and talking with people my views are that in India only a handful of people give importance to personal safety. Forget about others' safety people don't care about their own safety which is witnessed by people avoiding to wear a helmet which is the most basic safety gear money can buy. Even if they do wear a helmet it is an excuse of a helmet bought for 300-500 odd bucks whose safety rating I am not sure of. Most of the times you will find these kind of people not strapping up their excuse of a helmet which will fly off on impact. Next comes mid and lower body safety comprising of riding jackets, riding pants, knee guards, gloves, riding shoes/boots, etc. I can understand that most of the commuting crowd wont be able to afford these gears but they can at least invest in a good quality helmet. In fact a good quality helmet for pillion is also very important as the pillion is as much at risk as the rider in case of a fall. I always appeal to fellow riders to take their personal safety very seriously by following ATGATT.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 11:06   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 1,416 Times
Default Re: Harley and the responsibility that comes with it

What is the purpose of this thread? Kawasaki/Honda/Suzuki superbikes are ok without helmet, but Harley has special responsibility ?

We already have an existing helmet thread, this can be merged with that thread. Or at least the name of the thread needs to be changed. Else here are my suggestions for next threads:

Chevrolet curuze and the responsibility of the owner (use the seatbelts and don't put the kids through the sunroof)
Honda CBR650F and the responsibility of the rider (use helmet)
Some other bike and the (ir)responsibility of the rider

Last edited by ani_meher : 7th September 2015 at 11:08.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Riding Gear thread Steeroid Motorbikes 3075 4th October 2017 19:02
YAWCT - Yet another what car thread! (Safe sporty hatchback <5.25L) phamilyman Hatchbacks 34 30th July 2016 09:38
Videos promoting Safe Driving & Riding ashwin.terminat Street Experiences 7 13th October 2015 07:59
An Excellent Guide on Riding Safe ! Rehaan Motorbikes 14 13th July 2015 00:57
The Riding Game Thread manson Motorbikes 21 17th September 2009 18:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks