Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th May 2010, 12:43   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@ Balenopower;

Regarding pic 3, if you won't be offended, can I suggest a few corrections to your seating posture. Your posture is actually quite wrong for a left hander.

Suggestions:

1. Your outer knee (right knee) is pointing away from the corner. It should in fact be hugging the bike.

2. Your inner knee (left knee) is hugging the bike. It should be pointing downwards and towards the road.

3. Your butt position is correct. But your body is pointing away or straightened from the curve. This causes the bike to lean more to make that curve. The idea should be to make the bike lean less to make a curve. Your butt should be inside the curve and your body pointing to the inside of the curve (depending on the curve radius). The idea is to have the most contact patch for the tire when making the curve.

I hope you take these suggestions in the right spirit. To improve your riding skills it'll be very helpful, if you can get your hands on 'Sport Riding Techniques' by Nick Ienatsch.

Enjoy your ride. Cheers.

Hey,

As you said his butt is correct how can his outer knee not be in the right position? As far as i know it doesn't really matter in which direction the outer knee is pointing as long as it has clutched the tank.

Its hard to judge from a pic that's been clicked using a cell phone bro.

Techniques differ from rider to rider, A rider needs to be comfortable.

Books are helpful i agree to you.

But those theoretical riding techniques differ from rider to rider when implemented practically coz everybody's joints & muscles are not equally flexible.

No offense

Ride safe.

Last edited by chintan15 : 17th May 2010 at 12:55.
chintan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 13:40   #107
BHPian

Quote:
@ Balenopower;

Regarding pic 3, if you won't be offended, can I suggest a few corrections to your seating posture. Your posture is actually quite wrong for a left hander.

Suggestions:

1. Your outer knee (right knee) is pointing away from the corner. It should in fact be hugging the bike.

2. Your inner knee (left knee) is hugging the bike. It should be pointing downwards and towards the road.

3. Your butt position is correct. But your body is pointing away or straightened from the curve. This causes the bike to lean more to make that curve. The idea should be to make the bike lean less to make a curve. Your butt should be inside the curve and your body pointing to the inside of the curve (depending on the curve radius). The idea is to have the most contact patch for the tire when making the curve.

I hope you take these suggestions in the right spirit. To improve your riding skills it'll be very helpful, if you can get your hands on 'Sport Riding Techniques' by Nick Ienatsch.

Enjoy your ride. Cheers.
  1. The outer knee is hugging the tank. Its the knee guards that make you feel otherwise
  2. the inner knee is pointing downwards as far as i can see
  3. The curve wasnt to sharp and i wasnt going to fast. The idea was to make the bike lean more for the photograph. Totally agree with your point of maximum contact patch to make the curve.
  4. Ofcourse i do buddy. Appreciate it
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 19:27   #108
BHPian

@chintan

Although its true that techniques differ from rider to rider, basic facts don't. The center of gravity must be between the bike and the road in a curve and as close to the road as possible. The body position, the head position, the direction of sight and the knee positions are extremely important, if you ever get caught in a tight curve going too fast. You can watch MotoGP or any other motorcycle races and see that basic position of riders are essentially the same. It usually comes down to braking/throttling techniques and lots of guts to makes the difference between champions and wannabes, other than a superior machine.

As baleno has explained in his post, the photo was taken for effect rather than posture. I just wanted to point out things I observed, to upcoming riders. For motorcyclist, there is only one motto - practice, practice, practice. If you don't practice the right techniques and postures, it'll bite you in an emergency and unlike a car, you might not get a second chance.

I value the advice I got from a seasoned rider long time ago. "There are only two types of riders. The ones that have crashed and ones that are going to crash." You want to have all the good habits as your second hand nature when trouble happens and trust me, trouble is unavoidable for motorcyclists.

The book I recommended is not some theoretical book. Its written by a champion who's won numerous championship and is considered one of the best reads not only for starters but also for seasoned riders.

Cheers.

Last edited by VLOCT : 17th May 2010 at 19:36.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 14:32   #109
BHPian

Quote:
@chintan
Although its true that techniques differ from rider to rider, basic facts don't. The center of gravity must be between the bike and the road in a curve and as close to the road as possible. The body position, the head position, the direction of sight and the knee positions are extremely important, if you ever get caught in a tight curve going too fast. You can watch MotoGP or any other motorcycle races and see that basic position of riders are essentially the same.
+1 on the center of gravity law, but i think the speed and the degree of a curve also has a lot to do with the lean angle, for instance if you are talking about MotoGP riders, in case if a rider over leans and realizes that he needs to pull him self a little closer to the bike all he has to do is twist the throttle, the torque will simply pull him out of that situation, but here we are talking about a 250 cc parallel twin which has just 25% torque compared to those GP bikes and not to mention the rider who weighs >14 stones compared to the GP riders who weigh <11 stones.

Quote:
It usually comes down to braking/throttling techniques and lots of guts to makes the difference between champions and wannabes, other than a superior machine.
Absolutely agree to you on this one too.

Quote:
As baleno has explained in his post, the photo was taken for effect rather than posture. I just wanted to point out things I observed, to upcoming riders. For motorcyclist, there is only one motto - practice, practice, practice. If you don't practice the right techniques and postures, it'll bite you in an emergency and unlike a car, you might not get a second chance.

I value the advice I got from a seasoned rider long time ago. "There are only two types of riders. The ones that have crashed and ones that are going to crash." You want to have all the good habits as your second hand nature when trouble happens and trust me, trouble is unavoidable for motorcyclists.
I highly appreciate your concern towards fellow riders, this shows you are a true biker at heart.The reason for less flexible riders (including me) is lack of frequent rides and no track days as of now. I am sure your valuable advices will make a lot of difference on a track day.And with practice the postures will surely improve.

Quote:
The book I recommended is not some theoretical book. Its written by a champion who's won numerous championship and is considered one of the best reads not only for starters but also for seasoned riders.
Cheers.
I am not much of a reader but will surely source this book and read it.
Ride safe.
chintan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 23:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Hey BP, just wanted to ask you this. When i pull away in first (till 6k rpm) just after executing a turn i feel that the rear wheel does a slight wheelspin. Is this normal? This is on almost dry tarmac.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:54   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hey BP, just wanted to ask you this. When i pull away in first (till 6k rpm) just after executing a turn i feel that the rear wheel does a slight wheelspin. Is this normal? This is on almost dry tarmac.
Very difficult for that to happen mate. The 130 section IRC's have more than enough grip on good tarmac and the 33 ps that the parallel twin makes isn't enough to break traction. I feel its the low profile tyres and that make you feel every minute bump on the road, and makes you believe the rear is loosing it.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:15   #112
BHPian

After 3 weeks of being in the cover, finally got her out. gave her a nice shampoo wash and then pampered her with a nice coat of polish. Took her out for a quick spin and back in the covers, since it was back to pune for me the nxt day.
Attached Images

Old 26th May 2010, 14:30   #113
BHPian

Excellent! Your bike in black looks absolutely splendid.
Must have taken you better half of a day to get it back to such condition?!
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 16:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

With such a spotless and gleaming bike why would anyone need a mirror? Superb gloss i must say. What polish do you use bro?

I just bought ArmourAll wash n wax and yet to use it on my ninja. Will update the results on the weekend. Otherwise i have used Formula1 carnauba wax polish twice. Hope the armourall product is better.

Just to be careful, please ensure you take the bike for a short spin (5km or so) at least once a week. That way your battery wont discharge unnecessarily. The manual recommends that the bike be run a minimum of once in 2 weeks.

P.S. any reason why the saree guard is still on the bike?
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 17:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

He's using the same polish. You guys should try Turtle wax.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 18:20   #116
BHPian

Congrts on the "baby" Ninja. Tempted but Pro-Biking showroom refuses to give a test ride. Need to test the riding posture in a long ride. Till then dream on. But heard that Kawasaki is landing here soon with more offers. Hope they bring in a naked / street bike with straight riding position
rockyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 20:27   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
With such a spotless and gleaming bike why would anyone need a mirror? Superb gloss i must say. What polish do you use bro?

I just bought ArmourAll wash n wax and yet to use it on my ninja. Will update the results on the weekend. Otherwise i have used Formula1 carnauba wax polish twice. Hope the armourall product is better.

Just to be careful, please ensure you take the bike for a short spin (5km or so) at least once a week. That way your battery wont discharge unnecessarily. The manual recommends that the bike be run a minimum of once in 2 weeks.

P.S. any reason why the saree guard is still on the bike?

I use armourall too, but the wax n polish (chk the bottle, i have an image on the 3rd page) its plain brilliant and i haven't used anything better yet. i know mate, as much as i want to ride it, my hectic schedule keeps me away from my baby.

i keep using the bike for my pune trips, and have baggage with me. The saree guard is ideal for the cargonet hooks.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:47   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
he body position, the head position, the direction of sight and the knee positions are extremely important, if you ever get caught in a tight curve going too fast.
^OT-
Yesterday while riding and going through a corner, i paid attention to my inside knee(the one which wasn't leaning) and found out that my other knee is pointing towards the outside though my thighs always do grip the tank as if there is no tomorrow,am confused,

I am not flipping like Leon haslam
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:32   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
^OT-
Yesterday while riding and going through a corner, i paid attention to my inside knee(the one which wasn't leaning) and found out that my other knee is pointing towards the outside though my thighs always do grip the tank as if there is no tomorrow,am confused
Sheel,

What kinda bike do you ride? Typically, if your knee sticks out while your thighs are grabbing the tank, it indicates that the foot pedals are positioned forward. Don't know if these are adjustable for your bike. For sports bikes, since these are positioned slightly backwards this is not typically a problem. One has to adjust the foot pedals for ones height.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:50   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sheel,

What kinda bike do you ride? Typically, if your knee sticks out while your thighs are grabbing the tank, it indicates that the foot pedals are positioned forward. Don't know if these are adjustable for your bike. For sports bikes, since these are positioned slightly backwards this is not typically a problem. One has to adjust the foot pedals for ones height.
Products | India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.

Products | India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.

I ride both, though the first one is for leisure purpose and it has rear-sets and an additional rear-set(more upwards/rear-wards) is an option as an accessory, but i am not very interested as it isn't readily available and touring shall be a pain

^^did you go to Miller park?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote