Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th June 2011, 21:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which bike for my father

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
@Guru, Abhi we already have a deo at home, but these scooters don't seem to be as easy on backs as bikes (self experienced). My dad got idea of bike after riding my pulsar (Nitrox suspension).
Please ask your dad to test ride TVS WEGO.
12" Wheels + Rear Gas suspension should make the ride easy on back.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 10:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I would suggest a gear less due to the ease it offers. My friend owns the Aviator and he is very satisfied with it. I have ridden it for quite some time and find it comfortable.
I offered the same advise too. Though I liked the Aviator, looks like dad's not much impressed with its looks (the sharp nose was not very appealing). And somehow the showroom guys were also very desperate to push the sales for Aviator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Flyingkolors,
Why don't you check out the Suzuki Access? Their build quality and engine re-fineness is good enough. Also if mileage is the deal maker then would suggest any of the 100 cc bikes.
I have not tried Suzuki Access. Sounds good. Will give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Please ask your dad to test ride TVS WEGO.
12" Wheels + Rear Gas suspension should make the ride easy on back.
TVS Wego looks more feminine for me sir :-) The build quality is not so great too. My friend who has bought it, keeps complaining about the various loose parts and the sound they make.

Any suggestions on the HH Passion Pro and Bajaj Discover 100 or 125cc?
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 10:36   #33
BHPian

Suzuki Access + Pirelli scooter tyres for better ride.
isodope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 15:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post

I have not tried Suzuki Access.

Dont turn down the WEGO by just one review, i was going to buy the same for my wife, but ended buying a Nano.

Suzuki access will impress you with the power, but not sure about ride quality.

If you have time wait for YAMAHA to launch its scooters.

HH Passion Pro is a fantastic choice, but i would prefer Twister.
Please do not go for Discover 100/125/135/150.
If mileage is not a issue why not BAJAJ AVENGER 220?it would be above budget, but the only issue is you might end up using it more often that your dad
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 15:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Passion Pro is good with it relaxed seating and electric start etc. And since you say its a small town, it is not a bother that there will be too much of traffic to maneuver the bike in. So Passion Pro is a good choice. You will also get the good mileage as an incentive.

Among the gearless scoots, Access, Rodeo, Wego, Aviator are all good choices since they have telescopic front suspension. It will be less tiring for old people on pot holed roads. Access is a tad heavier compared to the rest. Aviator is tallest of all with a tad higher seating position.

Rodeo is very peppy and light to handle. Wego scores with the gas suspension in the rear aiding the ride quality.

All in all, my vote is for Passion Pro since the usage is limited to your town with less traffic and since your dad is comfortable with geared vehicles.
Happy hunting!!

Edit: To answer few of your queries in post number 28:

Activa has horrible ride quality after the initial few months. Leading link suspension is a thing of yore. Its very tiring for older people to ride in potholed roads

Aviator is good as long as height is not a limiting factor. Waiting period is another factor with the Aviator. Else a good choice.

Flyte/Rodeo - Smallest of the lot with a 125cc engine. Will give you a good power to weight ratio. But has pathetic resale value. Service was nothing to brag about in Bangalore and left a lot to be desired. Service of course varies from location to location. To give you a fair idea, we bought the Flyte in May 2008 for 40k. With 8k on the odo, we sold it for 18k in April/May 2010. We also bought a Honda Dio in April 2009 for 43k. With almost 9k on the odo, we sold it for 35k in Jan 2011.

Ride quality of bikes will definitely be better than the scoots. The service and maintenance depends on the service centers available around town and their proximity.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 14th June 2011 at 15:30.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 17:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not quite sure on both of them, if mileage is not a concern probably give the pulsar 135/Unicorn a peep. Shine is also good with their 125 offering. Not quite sure how Hero Honda will look like considering the fact that their tie up is now done away with.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 10:01   #37
BHPian

Hi folks,

Sorry to hop in like this, but I just wanted to give you all update and my 2 cents. After my last discussion here, we bought a TVS wego (for wife) and SUZUKI GS150R (for me).

@Flyingkolors, if you want go for gearless scoot and don't want to wait for so long (activa and access has delivery period of 1 year and 6 months respectively) for delivery, go for TVS wego. I would like to clarify here that it doesn't have performance like activa or access, but it is the most comfortable scoot by far. Ride quality is nothing short of plush and scoot is very well balanced. And mainly this is what your dad would be looking for.

Regarding GS150, I am totally satisfied with it. Many users stated some issues like rust in tank etc. but I haven't come across any in my bike. The bike is pretty heavy and tall and feels rock solid. I only wish for rear disc brake.

Regards,

IV
indianvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 12:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to clarify here that it doesn't have performance like activa or access, but it is the most comfortable scoot by far. Ride quality is nothing short of plush and scoot is very well balanced. And mainly this is what your dad would be looking for.
Congrats on the Wego! Totally agree with the plush ride quality it offers. Once you clock in some miles, plz start an ownership thread.

Quote:
Regarding GS150, I am totally satisfied with it. Many users stated some issues like rust in tank etc. but I haven't come across any in my bike. The bike is pretty heavy and tall and feels rock solid. I only wish for rear disc brake.
Rusting issues were supposedly sorted out by Suzuki from the 2010/2011 model onwards. Ideally you should not have any rusting problems.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 13:24   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isodope View Post
Suzuki Access + Pirelli scooter tyres for better ride.
I am hearing some very good reviews for Access. Only issue seems to be the weight. When I test drove, found it to be comfortable. Lets see how dad feels about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Dont turn down the WEGO by just one review, i was going to buy the same for my wife, but ended buying a Nano.

HH Passion Pro is a fantastic choice, but i would prefer Twister.
Please do not go for Discover 100/125/135/150.
If mileage is not a issue why not BAJAJ AVENGER 220?it would be above budget, but the only issue is you might end up using it more often that your dad
I agree. TVS Wego is now being considered. I was impressed by the comfy ride when I test drove couple of days back.

And yea, I dont think will go for the Bajaj Discover series. Heard a lot of complaints in the long run. What say?

I would love to get an Avenger. Dad would'nt like it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Passion Pro is good with it relaxed seating and electric start etc.

.....depends on the service centers available around town and their proximity.
Thats a good suggestion Abhinav. I am seriously considering HH Passion Pro. Activa is mostly out of the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Not quite sure on both of them, if mileage is not a concern probably give the pulsar 135/Unicorn a peep. Shine is also good with their 125 offering. Not quite sure how Hero Honda will look like considering the fact that their tie up is now done away with.
Only problem with Honda bikes is that the showroom is 30km away from my town. Traveling so far for service, any issues would be tiring.

Quote:
Hi folks,

@Flyingkolors, if you want go for gearless scoot and don't want to wait for so long (activa and access has delivery period of 1 year and 6 months respectively) for delivery, go for TVS wego.
Here you go. You just echoed my thoughts about the Wego. As mentioned above we are considering it. Can you start a ownership thread for your bikes. It would be much helpful for other folks.
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 14:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am hearing some very good reviews for Access. Only issue seems to be the weight. When I test drove, found it to be comfortable. Lets see how dad feels about it.
Wow you have quite a lot of bikes put up in your list for review. My suggestion is to first decide on which segment you will be heading out. Either Scooters or Motorcycles, probably that will help you decide faster and accurately as to which is more suitable & meets yours requirements.

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2011 at 18:38. Reason: Please don't quote the entire long post for a short reply. Inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 22:45   #41
BHPian

Hi folks,

Here I am again. I have been asked by many members to start a ownership thread for wego, and honestly I would love it myself. But the problem is, the scoot is a spare vehicle for wife (she generally drives the car), so it doesn't clock many KMs. In fact it has covered only 2K kms in around 10 months.

But I would love to help anyone in need, so in case anyone needs any info, just let me know.

Thanks...
indianvirus is offline   Reply With Quote