Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th April 2010, 19:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

It was in mid march that after buying 4 Bloody Kg's of Potatoes. Me and my brother decided not to fight but get a brand new bike.

Off lately as everyone would know that my Bullet had been giving me problems. After changing 9 pistons in the bullet in around 3 years I was all set to chuck the bullet away and buy a LUNA. But then again the LUNA is no good for my way of biking. I wanted to give myself a last chance to after persuading KAKA jee (My Bullet mechanic) we redid the engine of the bullet which now is a mix and match from a AVL and a CI engine. (This is a different story though). After the rebuild of the engine the bike was running fine but again I was not ready to face another breakdown.

And though the recession was at the end but it was still showing on my pocket. I really did not want to put even a single penny in to the repairs of the bullet. So I asked my brother if I can take the CBZ for some time. But that let to small argument that made us buy 4 Kgs of Potatoes.

We decided out of ZMA and P220S we are going to settle for the P220S. In this a mass SMS sent out to biker friends helped. Now the question is what color Black or black.

I never liked the full black pulsars. They kinds look Devilish to me but that’s fine I would go for one because my loved ones liked it that way. And I was not much into the color of the bike more into the practicality when compared to the bullet.
I had planned to buy the bike the next week after the 14th march. But then things held me and I was so busy that I was unable to get the bike.

Then came the second week of April. Had to go home for some tasks. Though that I can get the bike this week. Called up some BAJAJ Dealers around my home town Bathinda to find if they stock the Pulsar 220 S. no one did but there were some at LUDHIANA. So booked one of the black ones.

On the 9th early morning took the bus to Ludhiana, my friend VJ picked me up and we went to the Bajaj PB in Ludhiana. I learnt that I was the first customer on the Bajaj PB in Ludhiana. And then I learnt that the Black bike was sold and all that they had in stock was a blue one. Once I thought to myself that I can’t go for a blue rather just buy a 220F but then I noticed there was this RED bike parked in the showroom on display. I was like this is what I will take.

The bike was ready in 20 Minutes. The PDI was already done they just washed the bike, checked the Battery and other small things. The billing took around 30 Minutes.

I was free by 11:00 Am from the showroom it took me around 1 hour and 30 minutes to get the bike. and then me and VJ went to a petrol pump got petrol worth 300 RS which came out to 5.4 L. I had to come all the way from Ludhiana to New Delhi that was around 325 Kms. so I started riding at around 11:30 and was in Delhi at around 7:00 PM. the ride was nice I was not tired and that was the best thing. I rode the bike at around 4k - 5k RPM. I know some of you would think that the for the running it was not good. But I had already done around 250 KM on 4K rpm that was 64KMPH. And I was bored to death. And I also had to be in the office at night.

- to be continued

Last edited by desideep : 14th April 2010 at 19:40.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 10:31   #32
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: When I downshifted. (P220 S - Ownership Report)

HI all i am back after almost a bit more of a year of owning the PULSAR.

You may consider this thread as a ownership thread. The bike completed its first year with me on the 9th April.
Last one year.
KM’s Done 13500.
Top Speed done: 148 “I don’t think this was accurate”
KMPL: around 35 KMPL.
3 Services.
Parts changed: Rear Brake pads,
My initial experience was amazing with the bike. But after first two months of the ownership I realised that the bike was a hassle to ride when I compared it with my bullet. The jerk from the rear suspension was hard for me to accept. After working with may suspensions from various bikes (TVS APACHE, KARIZMA, RE BULLET). I settled for the Bullet shocks but then realised that with me and my Lady on the bike the canter stand would actually touch the road when cornering which was not the case when we had the pulsar suspension. But one good thing about the Bullet shocks was that they did not give us that typical jerk when we both used to ride. We did some trips together to HILLS and PLANES. It was all good. But still there was a scope for improvement as the suspension was not bit too soft that made the bike over all extremely low. Got the bullet Gas shocks modded a little bit. Got Pulsar Shocks top yolks fitted to the bike.
The ride was amazing after this. But the Chain set was not able to take all the stress after changing the shocks for so many time. It started to show the signs of extreme wear after around 8000 KM’s. The Chain was tight at some point sand lose at some points and it became a lot noisy. We did a lot to rectify the problem but no use as the chain had given up. Now my pocket did not allow me to spend any money on the mods to the suspensions as I had to get a car.

Rode the bike around with a Noisy chain for around next 4000 KM. the top end had dropped drastically the bike would not do any thing more than 125 KMPH.
Reverted back to the original shocks played a little with them and now the suspension seems all fine. I have just ridden the bike for around 600 Km’s after that I feel the feel to be a lot better.
Today I am going to do a major service on the bike that would include the changing on the chain set, brake pads checking, opening up the clutch side and clean it and also check the clutch.

Rest I will post after the service.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote