Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 15:28   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Also, considering my requirements, will it be wise to have a look at the ZMR or is it better to stick to the ZMA-R?
Have not seen too many ZMR's on road and there was no test ride vehicle available to judge it by riding it. But the showroom guy was going on and on that it was tested by running it at 100kmph for 24 hours continuously, it is very reliable and a very good tourer etc.

Personally, i feel its too huge to be used in the city with almost similar power as the ZMA-R. You are paying more for the FI [which is supposed to be a very good unit BTW], New digi speedo, Clip-ons, and a few cosmetic changes compared to ZMA-R.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 16:49   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Have not seen too many ZMR's on road and there was no test ride vehicle available to judge it by riding it. But the showroom guy was going on and on that it was tested by running it at 100kmph for 24 hours continuously, it is very reliable and a very good tourer etc.

Personally, i feel its too huge to be used in the city with almost similar power as the ZMA-R. You are paying more for the FI [which is supposed to be a very good unit BTW], New digi speedo, Clip-ons, and a few cosmetic changes compared to ZMA-R.
That was for Zma not Zmr
test was done by OD and they covered 2525kms in 24hrs on Zma
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 17:59   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That was for Zma not Zmr
test was done by OD and they covered 2525kms in 24hrs on Zma
Aha!! So the showroom guy was twisting it around then. Coz he was confidently saying that it was done on the ZMR and i was surprised as i had not heard/read about it anywhere.

Cheers for correcting it!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:18   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
YC.BALENO.CHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,089
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Ridiculous salesguy at Yamaha!!

Okay, I'll try getting a ZMR for test ride. Visited the local Yamaha Showroom yesterday. There was no R15 available for a test ride, which is not surprising. What was surprising though that the bike wasn't available on display as well.
However, the salesguy or whoever he was, seemed eager to impress me and offered me a ride of both the FZ and the Fazer. I told him that am not interested in the two bikes and I would like to know about the R15 instead. Still he kept talking about the FZ and went to the extent of showing that FZ is the best bike for impressing the chicks!


I told him that am not a 'pimp-in-making' and am serious about purchasing a R15 and then he bought the brouchure and started explaining the features of the bike. And as soon as I mentioned that I'll be using the bike on highway he switched to the Fazer again!!
Still I managed to get his attention back on the 15 and asked how can I book one of the most expensive Indian bikes in the market without even looking at one?

Finally, he accompnied me to the neighbouring workshop and I wasn't impressed with the service centre (comparing it with Bajaj and HH centres at Chandigarh). Still he offered me a customer's bike for a short ride and I was in no mood to ride a 15000kms old bike with a cracked fairing and a bent clip on handle.

Then I mentioned about the Race kit and the expression on his face was like as if I have asked for a Ham-burger at one of those 'shudh shakahari dhabas' !

I went back to my car and as I was reversing it I saw the same sales guy heading somewhere on his Pulsar 180!


I'll be visiting the HH showroom on 1st. Lets see what they have to offer!


Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 29th April 2010 at 12:22.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:05   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
YC.BALENO.CHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,089
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

Okay so its final now. Its going to be a 220F. I almost went for a new R15 but then the OTR price of around 1.15 lakhs plus atleast 25000 more for the sports kit made me change my mind. Did a long test ride of both the ZMA and 220. The ZMR has a 3 month booking period and save for the looks there is nothing in that package that appeals to me.

On riding 220 immediately after the ZMA, the former felt much more responsive. Also, I liked the fact that build quality has gone up since the initial days of the 220 Fi. The TR vehicle had more than 7000 kms on the clock and yet it felt like a new bike.

The ZMA on the other hand failed to impress me for the first time. The build quality has suffered and I guess the Pre-R ZMA's had the best build quality. The one I saw at the showroom had 'average' paint quality, with the color shades being a mismatch between some panels.
The ZMA did not had any equipment on offer and here its just a 100 bucks cheaper than the 220. So a new ZMA did not make much sense to me.


The second hand options were ruled out by Dad. Also, it was for the first time he seemed more impressed by a 'non-jap' machine. Having ridden a RD350 and a RX 100 in his twenties he wasn't really eager to put money on the ZMA.

So,finally its the end of the confusion. It has to be the 220 though am still not convinced about long term reliability and I'll really hit my head on a wall if an upgraded 220 hits the showrooms within 6 months.



Regards.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:27   #51
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
So,finally its the end of the confusion. It has to be the 220 though am still not convinced about long term reliability and I'll really hit my head on a wall if an upgraded 220 hits the showrooms within 6 months.



Regards.
I have 220 Fi that has been ripped for over 50K kms.... Its still pretty refined and is still faster than most of today's traffic.

I don't think you'd rip the bike for as long and as hard as I have, and keep it for as many Kms as I have. You can be assured of the long term reliability. Just keep in mind that the parts lifecycle is shorter in the Pulsar than most other bikes in its segment! But then the parts are super cheap too..
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:34   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
chiragh_bir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In front of you :P
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Okay so its final now. Its going to be a 220F. I almost went for a new R15 but then the OTR price of around 1.15 lakhs plus atleast 25000 more for the sports kit made me change my mind. Did a long test ride of both the ZMA and 220. The ZMR has a 3 month booking period and save for the looks there is nothing in that package that appeals to me.

On riding 220 immediately after the ZMA, the former felt much more responsive. Also, I liked the fact that build quality has gone up since the initial days of the 220 Fi. The TR vehicle had more than 7000 kms on the clock and yet it felt like a new bike.

The ZMA on the other hand failed to impress me for the first time. The build quality has suffered and I guess the Pre-R ZMA's had the best build quality. The one I saw at the showroom had 'average' paint quality, with the color shades being a mismatch between some panels.
The ZMA did not had any equipment on offer and here its just a 100 bucks cheaper than the 220. So a new ZMA did not make much sense to me.


The second hand options were ruled out by Dad. Also, it was for the first time he seemed more impressed by a 'non-jap' machine. Having ridden a RD350 and a RX 100 in his twenties he wasn't really eager to put money on the ZMA.

So,finally its the end of the confusion. It has to be the 220 though am still not convinced about long term reliability and I'll really hit my head on a wall if an upgraded 220 hits the showrooms within 6 months.



Regards.
i faced the same situation as you are today , i tried 220 and r15 hand to hand before opting for r15 ...

even though 220 has a very crunch engine but on turns it becomes really scary , i started to feel that bike starts to slips underneath me and i had to slow down but on R15 on the same turn i manged to take the high speed curve without any fuss ..

i will still stay that you opt for r15 !!!
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 11:12   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Okay so its final now. Its going to be a 220F. I almost went for a new R15 but then the OTR price of around 1.15 lakhs plus atleast 25000 more for the sports kit made me change my mind. Did a long test ride of both the ZMA and 220. The ZMR has a 3 month booking period and save for the looks there is nothing in that package that appeals to me.
Congrats on your choice and welcome to 220 group
I also own a P220 DTS-i bought in last Oct and have now done 3500 kms and i have always enjoyed each and every km of it. Till now i have only visited PBK just for normal services and not any other niggle or anything. I was also confused like you but the moment i test rode R15 and 220, my mind was clear what i wanted.

There are one or two downsides but they are with every other bike, cornering ability on a 220 would be less but come to real life conditions and ask yourself how much do you lean on a normal day. Just complete the run in and get overjoyed whenever you wack the throttle open, the torque would impress you everytime it does to me + seating position is not aggressive and you would not have any back or wrist pain after a long ride.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha recalls 9 units of YZF-R1 and YZF-R1M in India Aditya Superbikes & Imports 1 23rd December 2015 13:11
2015 Yamaha YZF-R1 and YZF-R1M launched in India Nicky Superbikes & Imports 3 10th April 2015 19:06
P220, ZMA or should i wait for few more ? pdev29 Motorbikes 35 20th October 2010 19:09
Used Bike Purchase Help - P220 or Thunderbird ? akkii Motorbikes 14 13th March 2008 20:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks