Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th May 2010, 19:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
...Talking exclusively about bikes, I doubt a 35W bulb peering through a murky glass in the bright sunlight will register on anyone's mind...
Yes it does!

Not sure though what is it that you are referring to when you say "murky glass".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...I hope Kerala strictly enforces the helmet rule too.
Not sure if this is enforced or not, but the seat belt usage is strictly enforced. Not only in Kerala, but also in TN; well, to be more precise, at least in Trichy (TN) and Palaghat (KL) and I am sure these are not local police force initiatives.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 20:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Yes it does!

Not sure though what is it that you are referring to when you say "murky glass".
I still don't see anyone here who does it in the city. Do you run your car with the HLs on during the day on a city trip?

I still somehow don't feel it would make a difference in the city. :(
Murky glass refers to the HL glass which, in Delhi atleast, accumulates enough grime and dust in half an hour to reduce the light's potency to half.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 21:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I still don't see anyone here who does it in the city. Do you run your car with the HLs on during the day on a city trip?

I still somehow don't feel it would make a difference in the city. :(
Murky glass refers to the HL glass which, in Delhi atleast, accumulates enough grime and dust in half an hour to reduce the light's potency to half.
Where did "city" come from? Your last post talks about highway, to which I responded!

And we are not talking about only Delhi, are we? And that is some amount of grime you come across there, aren't you!!!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 21:31   #34
BHPian

I think it is another Thuglak reform. A motorcycle with it's headlight switched on may be noticed by the drivers of bigger vehicles for a short span of time since it will be something novel to them-when it is a regular sight, they will ignore it, most likely. Instead of such tomfoolery, the traffic Authorities should impliment a proper road traffic rules awareness programm and those who violate it should be heavily penalised.
it is no use to compare European traffic situations with that of India since in Europe the vehicles are insisted to turn on headlights during day innorder to make them visible both in fog and smog, which is common there.
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 22:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Where did "city" come from? Your last post talks about highway, to which I responded!

And we are not talking about only Delhi, are we? And that is some amount of grime you come across there, aren't you!!!
Actually no, I meant to say that using it on the highways and in special conditions is a decent idea. But I don't see it being of great use in the city traffic.

Maybe I did not get the point across correctly! Apologies.

Oh yes! Delhi these days sees a lot of dusty storms. My helmet vents get really dusty in a day!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 22:07   #36
BHPian

This is absolutely necessary for motorbikes. Running without lights is not even an option for motorbikes in many countries. It has nothing to do with weather. It's because, other drivers often see the biker but IT DOES NOT REGISTER. I've seen drivers looking straight at the bike and then taking a u-turn right in front of it or merge into the same lane, as if it didn't exist. Everyone seem to forget that bikes cannot stop like cars do. Visibility is a critical issue with motor bikes.

Excellent decision by the Kerala authorities.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 22:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Now onwards BEWARE. In Kerala. if you drive in broad daylight without the headlamps on, you are gonna be squeezed by the pouncing cops.

In a state where 99% drives without dipping their main beams during night this " innovative" bloopper is "most welcome".

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th May 2010 at 23:03. Reason: addition and correction
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 00:56   #38
BHPian

Wow, never expected the Kerala government to enforce something like this! Can't wait to get home and see this sight!!
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 11:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
I hope Kerala strictly enforces the helmet rule too.
I was back in Kerala (Kochi) for my holidays last Month. The Helmet hunting is more or less stopped by Kerala Government due to major accidents occurred while previous hunts. Many riders with out helmet try to escape suddenly from the spot and went under buses and trucks.

Now police is more towards to Alcohol & Pollution hunt. I was stopped by the traffic police every night I drove(Interestingly not only within Kochi City alone even at inner places of Mulanthuruthy and Piravaom

Good move by Kerala Government. I think it should be the Park Lamp aka City-Day light not the actual high beam.

Cheers!

Last edited by myavu : 6th May 2010 at 11:52.
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 14:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Every responsible rider of a super bike that i've seen so far rides with the bikes headlight ON during day. since these bikes are really fast, its good they drive like that.

We always drive with our Fog lights ON on long drives in our Safari.

Proved good most of the time. RECOMENDED
Pavan Kadam,

Many of the SBKs and Higher CC bikes does not have a HL on/off switch any more.

The lights stay on from the time you turn on your ignition (at least in my Bonneville its like that)

This is a good idea to improve you being more visible to others.

The Indian bikes like Enticer, Pulsar etc which sells in Gulf has the same feature - no HL on/off switch I think. I have seen them running with the lights on.

Same with Royal Enfields.

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 9th May 2010 at 14:47.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 16:02   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Every responsible rider of a super bike that i've seen so far rides with the bikes headlight ON during day. since these bikes are really fast, its good they drive like that.
Sir, all Sports/Super bikes do not have a switch which deactivates/switches off the head-lamp,
you just have a toggle switch to shift between high/low beam

Quote:
When out on the highway, you'll always find my car running with its headlights in lowbeam (obviously during the day too).
Which one is better for visibility?
parking lamps + fog lamps?
or
low beam?

Quote:
I hope Kerala strictly enforces the helmet rule too.
And make riders strap them too else it is as good as a cap and check on whether it is atleast an ISI marked helmet

^i ride with my parking lamp on in in-city commutes, lamps are in low-beam always once out on the highways
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 11:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sir, all Sports/Super bikes do not have a switch which deactivates/switches off the head-lamp,
you just have a toggle switch to shift between high/low beam

or
low beam?

And make riders strap them too else it is as good as a cap and check on whether it is atleast an ISI marked helmet

^i ride with my parking lamp on in in-city commutes, lamps are in low-beam always once out on the highways
Sheel,

Low Beam - in my opinion. The idea is to alert others to your presence and not to startle them.

On Helmets in Kerala - I have been riding in Kerala since 1974 (officially from 1977). Till 1992 I was ridding on a daily basis - All With Helmets.

I still have all the hairs (for my age my mop is still dense) on my scalp intact (a major argument against helmet by fellow Mallus)

So I do fully support your statement.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 18:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Heard that the proposed rule was dropped !

In India, people will not switch on the HLs even at dusk because the battery will not get full charge.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 18:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

This really is a Good rule.It really helps.Especially when a biker is overtaking a car.I have seen a lot of car drivers who are ignorant of bikers overtaking them and make sudden lane changes.

This danger is exponentially increased in the rains.when the rear glass is all covered by water and muck and visibility of the bike is nearly zero.

Now with the light on even if the car driver does not look directly at the rear view mirror he'll definitely notice the light in the mirror which will grab his attention and hence make it safer for the biker behind him.

I hope i got my point across.

Also if you see any superbike they do not have any headlight switch off button.The headlights are constantly ON.this is precisely the reason.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 14:44   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
or
low beam?
I keep my low beam + Fog lamps on, when driving on the highway. A habit that stuck with me since the American days, I guess.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote