Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 8th June 2010, 16:49   #46
BHPian

While I agree with GTO, I am so totally on with Leepower. There should be a wider campaign to educate people the dangers of using highbeams towards oncoming traffic. Considering a lot of drivers out there got their licenses without proper training or tests, I think it's vital that the governments spend some money educating people on proper road manners. It would probably save thousands of lives and families as Indain roads are rapidly turning into "death valleys"!
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 17:53   #47
BHPian

I always rode my RX with the headlight on.
That's something i learned from auto magazines.

Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 18:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

I love the Audi's day light eye brows and wish to see every vehicle copying the same.

I was in Kerala for 2 days, I find the helmet rule almost strict even in small towns, but never saw anyone using head lights or parking lights during the day ! May be its a rule gone for a toss !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 18:57   #49
BHPian

Its a good safety initiative by Kerala Govt for road safety of road users especially the 2 wheelers and Hats off to that. But I hope the local police dont stop bikers and charging them for not putting on their headlights as they were doing when the mandatory use of Helmet was introduced. Even some bike riders lost their life in accidents that occured when the Police chased them for not wearing helmets.
Though I came across different opinions on this in this thread, I personally prefer to use the Headlights. Once or twice I was in for a surprise especially while driving under shades and didnt quite notice the bikers (especially with dark clothings) coming from opposite direction. So if they are using their headlights there is very less chances that you would miss them.
I would urge especially every biker to use them for their own safety.
jaisha8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 19:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I love the Audi's day light eye brows and wish to see every vehicle copying the same.
I sincerely hope others don't copy it.
That'll be one less girly looking car.

Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 12:44   #51
BHPian

Any MOVING source of light immediately draws our attention.

An example: A few years back there were these popular small RED laser base torches / pointers. Some people use to carry them in movie theaters to use on the screen. Now, that moving RED DOT immediately drew attention.
Example No 2: People living close to airports may realise that during day time, its much easier to spot planes with some lights on compared to planes without any light.

PROBLEM: What happens when everyone is riding with their lights on during the day time?? Will Human mind may soon become accustomed/conditioned to these lights and may tend to ignore them. Not sure!!

Based on my personal experience, i feel that two wheelers are ignored/not registered the most on road, by other vehicles. Cars, and larger vehicles can be much easily spotted because of their sheer size, but not two wheelers. Therefore, it does make a positive difference for two wheelers, riding with their lights on, especially on highways, w.r.t safety.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 10th June 2010 at 12:46.
nasirkaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 12:52   #52
BHPian

Does the rule say if the lights have to be on dim or bright during day time :P ?

I find this law silly, when there are other basic things that need correction first ie following lanes etc ! Probably good only for Indian highways !

In the States, I have seen most of the cars having automatic lights that come on as soon as the sun light intensity dips(dusk, cloudy etc) !

Last edited by s3va : 10th June 2010 at 12:55.
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 13:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
...ride their bikes with headlights on in Kerala ...
Why only bikes? I would say it is a good idea to make it mandatory to drive with (low-beam) headlights for all vehicles, in the highways. Not sure about the benfits in city traffic(in India) , though.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 13:50   #54
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a good Idea, Day time running lights are being offered in more and more cars, I drive with the lights on from 6 pm though day light may be present till 7.30 pm, and on the highways the lights are kept always on.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 14:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
The ambient lighting during the day is more than enough and the light bulbs won't be making much of a difference to the visibility anyway.
What makes you think it is for improving the rider's visibility?

It's safer any day - the oncoming traffic would be aware of the bike sooner than they could notice them with headlights off.

This practice is already there in countries like US, I guess most of the new generation vehicles would have their headlamps on by default when you start the engine.

Two weeks back I noticed a foreigner (European by looks) riding an Avenger through NH47 in Kerala, and he had his bike's headlamps on, in plain daylight. I turn on my car's headlamps (low beam) whenever I go on a highway at good speeds. I wish I had BMW/Audi like running lights for day driving.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th June 2010 at 14:37.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 14:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

The helmet rule and the seat belt rule is strictly enforced in Kerala compared to other states.
The Headlight rule is a good initiative to reduce accidents.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 15:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The helmet rule and the seat belt rule is strictly enforced in Kerala compared to other states.
The Headlight rule is a good initiative to reduce accidents.
OT:
I know at least 5 friends/relatives of mine who escaped from major accidents with minor injuries just because they were wearing seat belts. They are now promoting seat belts left and right since they know how it can save your life during a collision. 2 of them are a couple who drove their i10 right into a pole at 60 kmph, to save a biker.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th June 2010 at 15:06.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 15:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

huge line-up of members' cars - i can easily spot the one with head lamps on

Ride on but with your headlights on during daytime in Kerala!-hl.jpg

don't believe me - check out the bus in the background.

I think this rule should be made mandatory in all states.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 16:34   #59
BHPian

Default Good Rule... follow up?

I have done a little bit of highway riding myself, and I personally prefer to keep my HL on at all times. Anyways the long rides take care of the juice, so nothing to worry about there.

IMHO, visibility increases drastically. Especially if its not frontal but an overtaking situation. In group rides, we have our HLs on and we rarely ever thumb our horns to overtake other vehicles or even each other, if the need arises. I have my doubts about the "getting-used-to" theory some have talked about. Our eyes see the daylight everyday, but even then it takes getting used to the light after you step out of a dark room/ movie theatre. The human eye is extremely sensitive to variations as far as light is concerned. A moving source of light is bound to attract attention, either in front or in the RVM.

One more benefit that I see in this rule is that it will stop all those idiots who do not bother to fix busted HLs. Lots of bikes run with busted HLs and cause accidents. You can't tell in the daytime, and in the night, you can't spot them until they come really close. Now in the daytime, the cops will have the right to stop someone if the HL is turned off. I sincerely hope this will improve the situation.

My only concern here is this: Would it be a real rule or just another method for the cops to supplement their meagre income? Say I have a fused HL bulb for 3 days and on the 4th day when a cop catches me, I get off for a 50 rupee note. How much would that help?

Flashback:
Someone was complaining about murky glass... As some of the highway riders have found out, washing your HL glass with water every time you stop is the easiest fix for bad illumination. Fellow team-BHPian bblost would vouch for this, we have seen it working as good as HID setups. I recommend the same for the city. Even if you dont wash your bike, just wash the HL glass every time you take it out - both to and fro!

Last edited by justROYal : 10th June 2010 at 16:38. Reason: typo
justROYal is offline   Reply With Quote