Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th November 2010, 16:11   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Do we need all these bike accessories when touring because I felt these are to be used when racing only.
Well sometimes people do fall even when they aren't racing. Better safe than sorry
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 18:11   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Do we need all these bike accessories when touring because I felt these are to be used when racing only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Well sometimes people do fall even when they aren't racing. Better safe than sorry
Yes, I have a recent experience of falling off my bike at over 40 kmph or so and not even a scratch on me, I was wearing a Jacket, Gloves, knee and elbow pads and jeans.
My knee and elbow pads took most of the damage, with my pant being torn a little bit.
On tours and any major highway run, I ALWAYS wear atleast my jacket and gloves, pads are only for long rides.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 09:12   #258
BHPian

Hi aditya anymore photos coming up for the wayanad ride?
The place looks awesome.
How were the roads up till there?
Where in wayanad did you guys lodge?

What is your opinion on adding a bigger tyre to the bike? Pireli or something. Have you seen anyone in bangalore do that?
Visaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 12:14   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Hi aditya anymore photos coming up for the wayanad ride? The place looks awesome. How were the roads up till there?
Where in wayanad did you guys lodge? What is your opinion on adding a bigger tyre to the bike? Pireli or something. Have you seen anyone in bangalore do that?
No more photos bro. Have posted ones that came out well. More pics after the next ride.

The roads to Wayanad are nice. There is a bad stretch from Mysore till Nanjangud and a little further but after Gundlupet its awesome all the way till Wayanad. We stayed here.

I dont recall anyone adding a bigger rear tire on the ninja. Although it looks pretty thin it grips very well. A couple of riders had to plonk in a new rear tire and they switched to Pirelli Sport Demon's which is supposedly much better than the IRC's. Adding a wider tire is not as easy as its done in a car as the dynamics of the bike and the handling can get seriously compromised. I wouldnt take that chance just to improve the looks (and to experiment with the handling either).

Some food for thought...

The IRC's at the bajaj service center costs over 8k per tire.

The Pirelli Sport Demon's cost 3.5k for the rear tire and 2.5k for the front tire (in blore).

IRC's last for around 12-15k kms depending on the way the bike is ridden. My odo reads 8.5k and i'm going to switch over to the Pirelli's when its due. IRC's are budget tires abroad and in most forums they are said to be crappy. But i've been happy and hope the Pirelli's do much better than the IRC's.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th November 2010 at 12:15.
Old 19th November 2010, 14:09   #260
BHPian

Hi Aditya,

Just writing in to put in a big thank you to you for this thread. I appreciate the effort that must have gone into this and the invaluable assistance it provides to prospective buyers.

I picked up a Ninja yesterday, and this thread & balenopower's thread were a massive help in the 3 days (and nights) that I spent between first laying eyes on her and taking delivery late in the evening yesterday.

Cheers,
Brocklock
Brocklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 17:22   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad i've been able to help, Brocklock. Congrats on the new bike and wishing you happy and safe riding for many years to come.
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:33   #262
BHPian

Hi, Do you have more riding pictures. The riding position has got me worried a bit.
I wish i could see for real.
So Whats the top speed you have achieved till date.
How is the breaking in rains.
Hows does it handle potholes and speed breakers.
Have you taken it up on any uphill rides ? hows the performance.
Is there any specification on fuel quality and sure must. How do you manage on long rides?
Know of anyone who has started off doing Wheelies and stuff like that on a kawasaki Ninja 250 ?
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:26   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have more riding pictures. The riding position has got me worried a bit. I wish i could see for real. So Whats the top speed you have achieved till date. How is the breaking in rains. Hows does it handle potholes and speed breakers. Have you taken it up on any uphill rides ? hows the performance. Is there any specification on fuel quality and sure must. How do you manage on long rides? Know of anyone who has started off doing Wheelies and stuff like that on a kawasaki Ninja 250 ?
Wow. So many questions.

I have posted almost all the pics I have clicked of the bike.

The riding position is not as aggressive as most supersport bikes but is not like riding a commuter bike either. Its pretty comfy actually. I see your location is updated as Chennai. Why don't you approach the Pro Biking Showroom in Chennai for a test ride? They offer test rides to interested customers. No deposit required for this.

I can't really mention the speed owing to the forum rules but i have managed to stay ahead of most mid segment cars.

Uphill rides are not a big deal. Quite a few complain that the ninja is out of breath while going uphill but if you know the bike well you will stay in the powerband which makes riding uphill quite a breeze.

The brakes are very powerful. The ninja 250 has dual piston front and rear brakes which provides superb stopping power. The 650R and most SBK's have only a single piston rear disc brake setup. Wonder why this has a dual piston rear disc brake. That said, braking on dry surface is a breeze but you can still lock the wheel (not just the rear but the front too). So in the wet, you have to be more cautious and brake lightly and well in advance to avoid locking the wheel and crashing. The IRC tires are medium compound tires which grip well in dry but not that well in wet but i am pretty satisfied with them.

Performance is top notch and refinement is excellent. The suspension is on the stiffer side so bad roads are evident and can make the ride a tad bumpy. The manual recommends a minimum of 91 octane fuel. I regularly fill Shell Super Unleaded with no issues and sometimes have filled regular unleaded fuel from other bunks on the highway without any issues (on rare occassions only). On long rides i take a break as often as possible so that i get the rest i need, take pics, take in the scenery etc. Otherwise no strain if you are asking. I have done over 350kms at a stretch without issues. Never did this on any other bike earlier.

On the last one, no one that i know of has done any kind of stunts on this bike.
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:14   #264
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The manual recommends a minimum of 91 octane fuel. I regularly fill Shell Super Unleaded with no issues and sometimes have filled regular unleaded fuel from other bunks on the highway without any issues (on rare occassions only).
If I'm not wrong, the Ninja has a compression ratio of 11.6:1, right? And for this, it comes as a surprise that 91 is recommended. I thought 95 would be a minimum for a compression above 11:1...
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:40   #265
BHPian

oy aditya, need help with the K&N buddy. Have you fixed yours yet? if yes, did you notice any difference at all?
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:39   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
oy aditya, need help with the K&N buddy. Have you fixed yours yet? if yes, did you notice any difference at all?
Not yet bro.

The odo on my bike reads around 8500 kms. Will be changing the oil at 10k and the K&N will go in then. I'm not expecting any major gains though. Some low end grunt might improve. Will keep you posted.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:00   #267
BHPian

Thanks a lot Aditya for taking each question.
You know all weird thoughts run in before you take the plunge of an amount which does not come easy.
I have been trying to hit the showroom for the past couple of weeks but i just don't seem to have the time. and when i have the time the showroom is closed. Someday soon.
Wanted to get a good idea of the bike before i get there, so no surprises.
Would love a test ride.
I don't think i can afford a legal 600cc bike though i would love to own one considering my height and weight (6ft and 90+ kg). Just getting realistic, so Ninja is the way to go for the time being.
But it will be definitely after the rains are gone.
All international forum talk about the Ninja with the carburetor right?
Any idea on when the newer version of the Ninja is going to be out, the one with different colors and digital console.

Is the upgrades like slips and engine mods the way to go as you get lesser thrill on the Ninja after few thousands of mile ?

Cheers mate.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:15   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying to hit the showroom for the past couple of weeks but i just don't seem to have the time. and when i have the time the showroom is closed.
Happens all the time
Give those guys ample time, before you purchase; costs around 3.03K here in Chennai; if you're fancying on regn number, then forget it, PBK guys aren't anywhere close to supporting them. So you've to get it done all by yourself.

Sunday's never even think of going that way, they'll do anything except working on Sunday, so keep this point in mind.

Quote:
Would love a test ride.
May be you need to try any of your friend's vehicle. They don't allow, esp, in Chennai.

Quote:
All international forum talk about the Ninja with the carburetor right?
Well only the US market I guess; the European, Indian markets & Japanese markets have FI version.

Quote:
Any idea on when the newer version of the Ninja is going to be out, the one with different colors and digital console.
Good question

Quote:
Is the upgrades like slips and engine mods the way to go as you get lesser thrill on the Ninja after few thousands of mile ?
Sry, couldn't get this part

Good luck @Visaster, looking forward to see your thread on Ninja ownership soon
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 10:33   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Aditya for taking each question.
Pleasure.

Quote:
No idea mate. The 2011 model that is sold abroad comes with the digital console. If Bajaj gets that model down here we should see it on the roads but I doubt that would happen. You see, it would push the prices up even more. An aftermarket digi-console costs between INR 16k - 20k. The least they can do is get the other colors. White looks great on the ninja and so does red. Blue is nice too but looks weird in different lighting conditions as per some riders.

Quote:
Is the upgrades like slips and engine mods the way to go as you get lesser thrill on the Ninja after few thousands of mile?
Well, its a 250cc motor so there's not much you can do to make it significantly faster. Slip-on exhausts do not increase the power but some report as increase of 1-3bhp. Full system exhaust systems - marginal power bump - 4-6 bhp. Other than that i dont see any major mod's one would do to this bike, like porting, polishing, turbo (?) etc. But there are options available like a juicebox etc. Not sure of the power bump though.

P.S. Straight line speeds will bore you in a few months. Cornering is fun and you will find yourself trying new things to entertain yourself. dont worry about spending a packet and getting bored overnight, if thats what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
May be you need to try any of your friend's vehicle. They don't allow, esp, in Chennai.
No test rides in Chennai? Why?
Old 24th November 2010, 10:39   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No test rides in Chennai? Why?
Well, they take you as pillion probably, which is no way a test ride, atleast to me. In a way, its good.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote