Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th August 2011, 09:54   #346
BANNED

Default Re: 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike.

hey friends, nice reviews, i currently own a customized thunderbird and is looking for another bike in sports segment,
my basic query is that i am 6'2" tall and found R15 too small for me, i suppose CBR250 is also somewhat the same, the only bike that fits the bill is karizma ZMR, howz the Ninja250 in respect to handling and driving part especially for tall guys.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 22:16   #347
Senior - BHPian

Got the ninja serviced a couple of weeks back. Here is a break-up of my 3rd service bill:

Parts with the prices incl. VAT are below

washer nylon for oil filter - 93

oil filter - 335

gasket - 48

air filter - 330

NGK spark plugs (for 2) - 557

washer nylon - Rs. 40x6 = 278 (fairing bolt washers which needed replacement as they were worn out. I had overtorqued the bolts)

nut well - 12.50

Total (A) - 1652

Labor - 1196

paid service - 2239

consumables (brake fluid, coolant, etc.) - 102

total (B) - 3537

I need to clarify with the service manager why i have been charged paid service (2239/-) when the labor is already charged along with parts. Will check and post details for the benefit of other owners.

grand total (A)+(B) - 5182/-

Motul Fully Synth 7100 Ester 20w50 cost me 1200 for 2 liters (cost not included in the above).
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 11:12   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Motul Fully Synth 7100 Ester 20w50 cost me 1200 for 2 liters (cost not included in the above).
thanks Aditya for the detailed break up, where do you regularly source the engine oil from? Am pretty sure he would be a reliable lead as you seem to be sourcing it from him all the time.

Would be kind on your part if this query has already been answered instead you can point me to the link
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:30   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
where do you regularly source the engine oil from? Am pretty sure he would be a reliable lead as you seem to be sourcing it from him all the time.
I buy my motul oil from Motorcycle House. It is located behind SBI (State-Bank-of-India) on JC Road, Bangalore.

Contact person - Mr. Vineeth (Proprietor) - 98440 - 45610.

Area Manager for Motul Karnataka - Mr. Suresh - 99809-33202.

New outlet at Rajajinagar :

Mongron Batteries,
near Bridgestone TVS,
Dr. Raj Kumar Road,
Rajajinagar,
Bangalore

Contact persons- Mohan Jayaraj: +91 9945306060
Satish Kumar: +91 7676347930
Old 5th September 2011, 10:39   #350
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the details, will give these folks a visit when its due to service my efzee Take care mate.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:41   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aditya for the details, will give these folks a visit when its due to service my efzee Take care mate.
When do we get to read your ownership experiences on the FZ? It's about time you posted the whole story.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:49   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When do we get to read your ownership experiences on the FZ? It's about time you posted the whole story.
Am still in dual minds whether do i need to publish it or not. But for sure i can exchange my experiences about the bike when i see queries. Also the Rd Project that was running was a good 8 years has been completed. So not too sure if i would be doing justice to both or maintain a single thread which should be more like a diary. Not quite sure if Team BHP would allow a diary to be written since i have not seen any diary sorta experiences/thread.
Since you are a moderator you could help me with that and then i should be comfortable writing & sharing my experiences from the 99 onwards with bikes that i have owned/dabbled with.
Old 5th September 2011, 11:05   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So not too sure if i would be doing justice to both or maintain a single thread which should be more like a diary. Not quite sure if Team BHP would allow a diary to be written since i have not seen any diary sorta experiences/thread.
I would suggest a single thread titled "my garage over the years" or something on these lines which would cover the bikes you own/have owned over the years.
Old 5th September 2011, 11:56   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest a single thread titled "my garage over the years" or something on these lines which would cover the bikes you own/have owned over the years.
Hmmm does make sense Aditya will try to pen them in and my sojourn so far. Thanks for your valid suggestion. Not quite sure how many people would have the patience to read it as it might be too tedious
Old 5th September 2011, 12:57   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a break-up of my 3rd service bill
Labor - 1196
paid service - 2239
Does your second service bill also have 2 separate things for Labor and paid service? Definitely seems odd that there is a separate paid service when they have already included labor charges.

And yes thanks a lot Aditya for the contact of the Motul guys.

Quote:
Not quite sure how many people would have the patience to read it as it might be too tedious
Well mate, we are on t-bhp and there it will never be tedious to read about bikes/automobiles. Keep the narration succinct and pepper it with good shots of the bikes and you are all set.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 13:07   #356
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not quite sure how many people would have the patience to read it as it might be too tedious
Am interested for sure, especially the RD350 restoration. And am sure you are refering here as you writing might be too tedious

Aditya - Planning to pen down your recent trip experience? Am sure it must have been a blast given the inviting roads...
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 23:05   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Aditya - Planning to pen down your recent trip experience? Am sure it must have been a blast given the inviting roads...
Sure Jayant. Here it is... was busy and couldn't post the experience sooner. Long boring post below

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've ridden on the Hosur Bangalore stretch plenty of times during our weekend rides. Some of these included riding to the CCD at Shoolagiri, to the Krishnagiri dam, to Salem, to Yercaud, to Yelagiri (and all of these were to and fro in a single day) but riding all the way to Chennai was long awaited and the opportunity presented itself on 31st Aug 2011.

My BIL was getting married and i made my plans in advance. *evil grin* Wife and son chugged away to chennai via train a week earlier and i was looking forward to the nice long ride... (my last longish ride was in April this year to coorg - pics/report posted in this thread).

The night before i could barely sleep a wink (as usual, before every long ride). I was excited as it had been a long wait for a nice long ride. I was nervous at the same time too... I had never ridden alone except to Salem and back. What if misfortune struck? What if something untoward happened? These thoughts did not bother me on my usual weekend rides since i had company and my buddies were there for support if needed. That said let me reiterate that i am a very safe rider and take zero risks.

Packed my clothes and other stuff into my tailbag and tried to sleep. I guess it was past 12.30am when i finally fell asleep. The alarm was set to go off at 5am but since i slept late i woke up 30 mins late. Had planned to leave home by 5.30 am but ended up leaving only at 6am. Took a quick shower alternating between hot and cold water to drive off the sleep.

Suited up, grabbed the keys and strapped the bag to the bike and headed out. It was 6am. I was aghast to find quite a bit of traffic on the way but managed to reach Shoolagiri at 7am. A burger at McD and a double shot Espresso made my breakfast. Tanked up the bike with premium fuel at the HP bunk, checked air pressure and got ready to head out further to Chennai. It was 8am and i wasn't happy. I kicked myself for sleeping late and waking up late. A whole chain of events that left me cursing till i reached Chennai.

The ride from Shoolagiri onwards was quick. I crossed Vellore and stopped for a break. I was carrying three bottles of Gatorade, 2 redbulls to ward off any sleep and a 500ml bottle of water.

Thanks to the double shot espresso i was getting dehydrated a lot. The caffeine kept me awake but caused me a great deal of pain and suffering. When i stopped, i downed the first bottle of Gatorade but my fingers were cramping and i was feeling tired. Flexed around a bit and continued my ride and the dehydration was only getting worse. The food i consumed was not enough/right to hold the fluids i drank. I stopped for a pee break shortly after the gatorade.

After some distance i stopped again and this time my hands and wrists were getting really tired. Second bottle of 'rade down but no improvement in the condition.

Proceeded towards chennai and stopped just after Kanchipuram. There was no shade in sight and i stopped at the side of the road in the hot sun. I was soaking wet. Sweating like i was in the desert and down went the last bottle of 'rade. I rode on and just before Sriperambudur i saw a green bike, something a lot bigger than my greenie but had LED tailights and a wider tire. This was the Ninja 650. I've seen it earlier in the PBK showroom but seeing it on the road was a nice surprise... and lo, it was none other than a good friend of mine (Mr. Ravi) who was the first 650R customer in Chennai. We stopped and chatted for a while.

Just near Sriperambudur my leg muscles started cramping from the fatigue and dehydration and thankfully Ravi was tailing me. We stopped and i finished the water and redbulls but the redbull only made it worse, thanks to the caffeine. I removed my knee guards to aid blood flow in my legs and felt better. After some 30mins we proceeded towards Chennai and split up at the Porur bypass, where i headed home. Finally reached home and my painful cramps were getting the better off of me. I downed a liter of lemon juice, chilled and sugary it gave me strength and eased off the pain in my legs. Phew... I was dreading the ride back home to Blore but little did i know it was going to be a super lovely ride.

I left for Bangalore on 3rd Sep (Sat). I had some things to attend to so headed out only by 9.30am. Tanked up at the nearby Shell fuel station, picked up 2 liters of water, some chocolates and 3 packets of elektral at the neighboring pharmacist. I met a friend en-route and after a brief chit-chat i was on my way to Blore.

I was on the highway a few mins later (approx. 10am). My aches and pains from the ride before had disappeared and i felt comfy on the seat. I vowed to stop every 100kms for a few mins and rehydrate... and thats what i did.

Stopped a little before Vellore and had my first bar of snickers (bite size ones). Oh yeah, i had skipped breakfast since i was already running late, but i knew the chocolates would be more than sufficient. Emptied a sachet of elektral in the water bottle and drank up.

Next stop at Yelagiri (2 hrs since i left chennai and around 225 kms later) and i had the second bar of chocolate and finished the remaining water-elektral combo. The second bottle of this concoction was prepared and i gulped a little more. I was making good progress and i was happy. Didnt feel tired at all like the previous run. Was raring to ride more in fact. So after a few mins i rode on and reached shoolagiri where i stopped for lunch. It was 10 mins short of 1pm. Had a quick bite, finished the remaining elektral, filled up fuel and rode on towards home.

The ride back from Chennai was very windy and my head was bobbing like an F1 drivers. LOL. Traffic was light but suddenly got thicker as i neared hosur and when i finally reached blore (silk board) it was a nightmare. Reached home safely and i enjoyed the ride back... so much that i was longing for another ride the next morning. Took me around 3hrs, not counting the breaks to reach Shoolagiri from chennai, which is a distance of approx 300kms.

The ninja delivered an FE of 27kmpl from Blore to Chennai and on the way back 24-25kmpl. I reckon the drop in FE was due to shifting at 12000 rpm (instead of the usual 10,000 rpm shifts), very windy conditions, climbing the terrain/incline as i reached hosur/blore, etc.

Thanks a ton to all my buddies for the warm wishes on my first solo long ride. I have suggested elektral to my friends who ride long distances but had shied away from it myself. Reason - mom used to force me to drink this when i was sick back in my childhood days and i dreaded it.

Now i know its a good thing and... it doesnt taste bad at all.

Here are some pics from the ride.

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-016.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-017.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-020.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-021.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-022.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-023.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-024.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-025.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-027.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-028.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-029.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-030.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-031.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-032.jpg

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - My First Sportsbike. 52,000 kms on the clock. UPDATE: Sold!-camera-dump-033.jpg
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:07   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton to all my buddies for the warm wishes on my first solo long ride. I have suggested elektral to my friends who ride long distances but had shied away from it myself. Reason - mom used to force me to drink this when i was sick back in my childhood days and i dreaded it.

Now i know its a good thing and... it doesnt taste bad at all.

Here are some pics from the ride.
Those are some really nice pics of your ride. I have done the route a number of times but always in a car, the smooth 4-6 lane roads have always appealed to me for a bike ride. What was the top speed you clocked ?

Electrol and Gatorade are good companions for long bike rides, but I personally do not prefer Red Bull.
salunkhe.vizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:26   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Those are some really nice pics of your ride. I have done the route a number of times but always in a car, the smooth 4-6 lane roads have always appealed to me for a bike ride. What was the top speed you clocked ?

Electrol and Gatorade are good companions for long bike rides, but I personally do not prefer Red Bull.
Thanks. Actually the pics look crappy on my laptop. Very grainy and too much sharpness. On the LCD monitor at home it looks better but nothing really great. I use a Canon 7.1mp P&S digicam.

When I'm riding with some company then i stop and click photos but this time i forced myself to stop every 100kms or so. That explains the limited no. of pics.

The roads are of course fantastic but one must be very alert for there are times when people cut through the highway to reach the other side... either on foot or by a moped... sometimes a dog or a stray cow/buffalo might decide to eat greener grass on the other side.

I clocked some good speeds on open stretches but for most of the time i was cruising at 120kmph.

I dont prefer red bull too and dont recommend it either. But i was groggy from lack of sleep and bought a can or two for backup.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th September 2011 at 10:30.
Old 7th September 2011, 12:34   #360
Senior - BHPian

Aditya,
That was a very crisp note, should appreciate your skills. Was surprised that you took red bull but then i understand you tried it to drive away your sleep. Never used Red Bull instead my usual ways of driving away sleep is to wash my face with Soda. Yes regular soda that makes your way into the evening drinks. Works BIG for me, probably you want to give it a shot.
Sorry if sounding am more of an oldie am still 32