Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 19:47   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Dear Bite the Bullet,

This is one of the best threads that I Have read in some time. Definitely the best thread about a bull!
The thread has brought a lump in my throat.
I inherited my dad's STD 350 8 years back. She was my pride and joy during my college and still remains.
But a bad back forced me to decide to part with her.

Your thread really has put me into a dilemma.

BTW. Great acquisition. I am sure you would take good care of her.

Ride Safe!
Hey suresh,

I don't know what exact problem you are facing, but then I would like to share that I went through the exact same dilemna. I have a disc prolapse condition & although I am not advised to ride a bike or any two wheeler, small journeys are ok. I was also advised by all my relatives & parents to part with the bike, but I thought it was better to have it & use it for small distances rather than not having it at all.

I hope that your back is better & that you may again get yourself a Bullet & start riding (albeit small distances)

Take care & ride safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 10:09   #47
BHPian
 
jingaboysr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Cochin
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Spark plugs

Guys, a quick question, which spark plug do we use for CI 500 ? I am running NGK BR9ES in my bike (this is the one used for AVL500). I heard CI 500s came with BR8ES..

The only difference between them is the heat ratings. How can they affect the running?
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 11:28   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: M
Posts: 35
Thanked: Once
Default Doubt

Hi,
This might be a stupid one, but how is the Bullet 500 CI having a ES?
I know for a fact that the Bullet 350 STD CI cannot be fitter with a ES as its ignition system is Contact Break Point Ignition.

Thanks,
Subu.
subushady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 11:49   #49
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 385
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subushady View Post
Hi,
This might be a stupid one, but how is the Bullet 500 CI having a ES?
I know for a fact that the Bullet 350 STD CI cannot be fitter with a ES as its ignition system is Contact Break Point Ignition.

Thanks,
Subu.
Simply Because the 500 CI that came with Disc brakes and ES did not have the Cb Point System.

Congrats on The purchase Bite the bullet, When i bought my electra in 2006 i had my heart set on the 500 But That Dammed sales man convinced me to go for the electra as he did not have the 500 for ready delivery . Sir No updates on the The Safari Thread For a long time.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 01:23   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Guys, a quick question, which spark plug do we use for CI 500 ? I am running NGK BR9ES in my bike (this is the one used for AVL500). I heard CI 500s came with BR8ES..

The only difference between them is the heat ratings. How can they affect the running?
Rishi,

Yes, the CI500s came with the BR8ES. The BR9ES is a colder plug which means that the spark plug's ability to burn the carbon deposits is slightly lower. Apart from the occasional fouling, you're engine won't knock/experience pre ignition. This is one reason why the LB500 uses the 9ES as the lean burn engine requires a colder plug to prevent possible pre- ignition. If you experience frequent fouling, revert back to 8ES.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 07:43   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 389
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey suresh,

I don't know what exact problem you are facing, but then I would like to share that I went through the exact same dilemna. I have a disc prolapse condition & although I am not advised to ride a bike or any two wheeler, small journeys are ok. I was also advised by all my relatives & parents to part with the bike, but I thought it was better to have it & use it for small distances rather than not having it at all.

I hope that your back is better & that you may again get yourself a Bullet & start riding (albeit small distances)

Take care & ride safe.
Thanks Blackfire for your kind words. I suffer from Disc Prolapse too. while riding my bull, each small pothole and bump on the Road sends a sharp pain through my spine. Despite that whenever I see her idle in the garage I cant resist taking her for a ride( I dont even need a destination).

Pray my back gets better! SOB
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 23:27   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: M
Posts: 35
Thanked: Once
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Simply Because the 500 CI that came with Disc brakes and ES did not have the Cb Point System.

Congrats on The purchase Bite the bullet, When i bought my electra in 2006 i had my heart set on the 500 But That Dammed sales man convinced me to go for the electra as he did not have the 500 for ready delivery . Sir No updates on the The Safari Thread For a long time.
Thanks.
Did not know that the 500 with Disc Brake came without CB Point. Guess it must be having TCI then.
subushady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 17:43   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,191
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Simply Because the 500 CI that came with Disc brakes and ES did not have the Cb Point System.

Congrats on The purchase Bite the bullet, When i bought my electra in 2006 i had my heart set on the 500 But That Dammed sales man convinced me to go for the electra as he did not have the 500 for ready delivery . Sir No updates on the The Safari Thread For a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subushady View Post
Hi,
This might be a stupid one, but how is the Bullet 500 CI having a ES?
I know for a fact that the Bullet 350 STD CI cannot be fitter with a ES as its ignition system is Contact Break Point Ignition.

Thanks,
Subu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subushady View Post
Thanks.
Did not know that the 500 with Disc Brake came without CB Point. Guess it must be having TCI then.
First of all, who told you guys that a CB point Bullet cannot have an electric starter?

Also, CI500s, both ES and non ES, came with CB points only.

Secondly, an ES can be fit on the CI350s which run on CB points. You need a different Stator assembly for that, like the ones on the CI500ES.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 20:34   #54
BHPian
 
iron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 228
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

The ES on the CI 500 & CI 350 are prone to failures. It was stupid blunder of RE to equip it with an ES in the first place.
The ES of the CI 500 that my neighbor owns conked off in a first few kilometers itself and he has not bothered repairing it since then.
His is a '06 500 WITH AROUND 14K+ kms. That is why majority of the mechanics recommend against putting an ES in the CI based engine.
A well tuned and maintained CI Engine roars to life in a single kick.

Last edited by iron : 30th May 2010 at 20:37.
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:48   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: M
Posts: 35
Thanked: Once
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
The ES on the CI 500 & CI 350 are prone to failures. It was stupid blunder of RE to equip it with an ES in the first place.
The ES of the CI 500 that my neighbor owns conked off in a first few kilometers itself and he has not bothered repairing it since then.
His is a '06 500 WITH AROUND 14K+ kms. That is why majority of the mechanics recommend against putting an ES in the CI based engine.
A well tuned and maintained CI Engine roars to life in a single kick.
Thanks JayPrashant and Iron.

So we can have ES on CI with CB Point but it is best to stay away from it.
The showroom guys told me that STD 350 CI has CB Point and hence cannot have ES fitted.

Regards,
Subu.
subushady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:52   #56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: calicut
Posts: 17
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
In fact I'm also bitten by the bullet bug and seriously thinking about getting a good used piece, either an Electra or a Thunderbird.

@bite_the_bullet : Please let me know if you have any good contacts from where I can also source one for me.
i started riding on my dads 1979 yezdi classic , then a 1989 RE 350 sold it in 2002 July bought a new Electra in September 2002 till this date it is with me
i also own two RX 100s. call it nostalgia emotional attachment what ever but nothing mach the feeling of riding a bullet
in my opinion you are not bitten yet
you must consider price FE maintenance and and other factors before you buy a bullet especially a 500 repeat before you buy a bullet because once you you get a royal enfield in your blood there is no cure
prasadnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 10:50   #57
BHPian
 
bIte tHe bulLet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 242 Times
Default sorry for not being here - was on HOLIDAY...heading out for ANOTHER!!!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
First of all, who told you guys that a CB point Bullet cannot have an electric starter?

Also, CI500s, both ES and non ES, came with CB points only.

Secondly, an ES can be fit on the CI350s which run on CB points. You need a different Stator assembly for that, like the ones on the CI500ES.

Cheers,

Jay
+1 to that jay!


Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
The ES on the CI 500 & CI 350 are prone to failures. It was stupid blunder of RE to equip it with an ES in the first place.
The ES of the CI 500 that my neighbor owns conked off in a first few kilometers itself and he has not bothered repairing it since then.
His is a '06 500 WITH AROUND 14K+ kms. That is why majority of the mechanics recommend against putting an ES in the CI based engine.
A well tuned and maintained CI Engine roars to life in a single kick.

Every single person who owns a CI 500 that I know of has deactivated the self starter (including my own ride - which came with it deactivated!!) depending on your luck (or lack of it thereof!) it WILL blow up in your face anytime between 200 kms to 4000 km of beginning to use it.

from there on, it's a minimum of 4k and upwards to bring the starter to life. that's pricey even for people who are die hard afficianadoes of the marque. and in any case, i'm about to open a can of worms when i say "there's nothing like a good ol' heave ho of the right leg, to get the bullet to start and then settle into it's gorgeous, unmistakeable, heart stopping beat"


Quote:
Originally Posted by subushady View Post
Thanks JayPrashant and Iron.

So we can have ES on CI with CB Point but it is best to stay away from it.
The showroom guys told me that STD 350 CI has CB Point and hence cannot have ES fitted.

Regards,
Subu.

the showroom guys are spewing complete nonsense bro....but like i said before, it's more hassle than it's worth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadnair View Post
i started riding on my dads 1979 yezdi classic , then a 1989 RE 350 sold it in 2002 July bought a new Electra in September 2002 till this date it is with me
i also own two RX 100s. call it nostalgia emotional attachment what ever but nothing mach the feeling of riding a bullet
in my opinion you are not bitten yet
you must consider price FE maintenance and and other factors before you buy a bullet especially a 500 repeat before you buy a bullet because once you you get a royal enfield in your blood there is no cure

hey prasad! my bullet riding started with the (questionable) riding of yezdi's at a tender age too!! I stayed away from the bullet space - in fact the whole biking thing, for almost 4 years and then couldn't resist anymore. so here i am, as are a lot of other friends pretty much the same age as me!

am truly enjoying my new found sense of freedom and adventure

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 29th June 2010 at 10:52.
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 11:00   #58
BHPian
 
bIte tHe bulLet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Dear Bite the Bullet,

This is one of the best threads that I Have read in some time. Definitely the best thread about a bull!
The thread has brought a lump in my throat.
I inherited my dad's STD 350 8 years back. She was my pride and joy during my college and still remains.
But a bad back forced me to decide to part with her.

Your thread really has put me into a dilemma.

BTW. Great acquisition. I am sure you would take good care of her.

Ride Safe!
Hey Suresh,

Thank you so much for the kind words mano... and i'm glad you enjoyed reading the thread. I really should finish my story, but with work and holidays and other bits and bobs to work around, getting time to be on tbhp is a challenge!

i do hope your back gets better, i have had a full on slipped disk (l4-l5) and a compression injury that rears its head every now and again. but the draw of the bullet was too much to resist

now riding up to leh on the 11th of july with a bunch of guys as well!

ta and stay safe bro.
ak
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 08:36   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 389
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
Hey Suresh,

with work and holidays and other bits and bobs to work around, getting time to be on tbhp is a challenge!

i do hope your back gets better, i have had a full on slipped disk (l4-l5) and a compression injury that rears its head every now and again. but the draw of the bullet was too much to resist
Thanks Bro for your concern.
My Back has responded well to treatment. Its getting better. But still can feel quite a bit of stiffness. Pain has gone almost completely.

A sad news Is that I have parted with my beast, with a heavy heart. The bike was picked up by a friend. I am sure I have left it with a gentle pair of hands.

I really admire your resolve to stick on to active biking. Probably the condition of the roads in your location permit you do the same.

But cant say the same in Kerala. If i had a shotgun, I would blow up the brains out of the *&&$#@%'s that form the "government". Lets leave it at that.

hey looking forward for your post on your Leh trip. Please post lots of photos.
Enjoy the Ride. Take care.






Hope your tight schedule doesn't keep you away from active biking.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 30th June 2010 at 08:37.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 08:18   #60
BHPian
 
bIte tHe bulLet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 438
Thanked: 242 Times
Default leh 2010...

hey guys,

Angelina was purchased because I adore Enfields and I desperately wanted a 500 in my garage. She was also bought because I wanted to scratch an itch I had for the last 11 odd years.

She went to Leh and came back from there - covering about 2700 kms in 11 days.

this is my story.




Why the **** am I here?

What the hell am I trying to prove?

What was I smoking when I decided to do this?



Prologue:

I drove to Leh as a 23 year old, as an assistant director on my 1st half-hour long special episode to be aired on the BBC. I fell in love with the place, the drive, the people and the whole idea of travelling to the top of the world by road. I swore to myself, that I would come back on my bike – very soon. Many years passed, I went back many times, but always by air, and always on work.

Fast forward 11 years, and with an impending mid life crisis, I decide that enough was enough. I was going to Leh, on a motorcycle, in the middle of a full blown monsoon, in the month of July.

To hell with the consequences.



The beginning:

From an original plan that had 4 confirmed bikes and a couple of unconfirmed rides, it finally came down to 3 confirmed drop outs and an addition of 4 more rides of including my brother. From last minute purchases, to nth hour packing, it was finally decided that the 11th of July was to be D Day. At the ungodly hour of 3:30 am, we were supposed to meet up short of the ITO crossing in Delhi (for those of you who do not have the foggiest of what ITO means, it is where the income tax hounds hound you from i.e. Income Tax Office). This was necessitated by the perceived need to hit Manali on day 1 itself, no mean task considering it’s a mere 500+ odd kms from Delhi!

Come D day, with less than an hour of kip (the previous day was my parents anniversary and my brother in law’s birthday!) finding the most comfortable clothes I could for the long ride ahead, I start to load up Angelina; A beautiful, lovingly readied black 2006 model, 500 CC Royal Enfield bullet, who would be my alter ego for the next 11 days. Of course, by this time I have already been informed that the rest of the ‘crew’ (to use the hip term of course) was running about an hour behind schedule. They were struggling to figure out how to load all their crap on their bikes… that was the bottom line.

Speaking of ‘crew’, allow me to introduce the lot.

There was me, (I shall desist from doing the honors), riding up Angelina. (All ye of the perverted minds. Stop now.)

Then there was my little brother Jaiveer, (little being a relative term of course – he’s only 29!!) A freelance director / writer full time shammer, riding up a 350 Machismo.

Ashwin, a marketing executive who’s never ridden a bullet till 2 days before the trip, riding up a hired AVL 350.

There’s Digvijay, an MBA aspirant studying in the US of A, riding a Standard 500 and last but not the least, there’s the twins.

No really.

Twins.

Nitin and Jitin.

Damn! Double Damn!

I couldn’t tell them apart…Not in the 1st two days.

Nitin’s a banker and Jitin works for a software company. They were riding together on a loaned Standard 350.


Day 1

I arrive at the designated meet up point at 4:45 am, to find no one there! Phone calls to and fro reveal that Ashwin is stood at his ‘self decided’ designated meeting point, with no idea of how to get to the ‘group decided’ designated meeting point. Jaiveer and Digvijay are still on their way while the twins detour to collar the wayward Ashwin. Possibly an omen of things to come?

After a further 25 minutes, when we do all meet up, pretty much everyone throws stuff at Ashwin.

Literally.

Not ‘at’ him, but ‘to’ him, since he’s only carrying one bag of clothes and his Ladakh carrier is deliciously empty. After everything is secured, wrapped, strapped down, bungeed and relatively stable, I lead everyone out finally at 6 am, after the mandatory, “start of trip snap”. The mood is bright, chirpy, excited and all gung ho. We make excellent time and brilliant progress….for all of 60 kms. Short of Panipat, I suddenly find a bike dropping out of sight with one more behind him. Concerned, I turn back to ride upto a perplexed looking Digvijay and a nonchalant Ashwin, ruminating over Digvijay’s dead as a dodo 500.

Changing the sparkplug, checking the battery, swapping out fuses, talking to it lovingly all have the same effect. Nada. Zilch. A big fat nothing. So we do the next best thing, eat Keema paranthas packed by the twins and wholemeal biscuits courtesy Ashwin!

A quick call to a trusty Sardar mechanic and I open the CB point cover, stick a screwdriver into its innards, tell Digvijay (Diggi) to turn her over and Voila – she roars to life!!!

We set off again but detour to look for a bullet mechanic since Jaiveer’s bike has decided to cough every once in a while and insist on switching herself off at the most inopportune moments. It is now 9:30 am and we are a mere 65 kms into our trip …
With the errant bikes all looked at and masses of spark plugs bought from the same mechanic, we finally do head out with the understanding, that we were going for gold and would now only stop for lunch. We stopped before that…for the rains.

Diggi and I were smart enough to get under cover of a petrol bunk, the others were idiots and got soaked. Heigh ho! With lunch dealt with, almost 9 hours already on the road and about 250 kms covered, we began to fade. And how!!

Nothing can prepare you for the saddle sore of your 1st day of a long distance ride.

Nothing. And I mean nothing can and ever will.

It came to the point that we were stopping every 15 minutes because someone couldn’t take the pain anymore.

It hurts to sit on the bike.
It hurts to get off the bike.
It hurts to curse the bike.
It just hurts like a really big pain in the butt. (funnily enough, that’s exactly what it was!)

Reaching the hills, Manali seems to be be a fast fading option, even for the perennial optimist in me. Mandi becomes the next best thing. Stopping for dinner, we calculate that Mandi is at best an hour and a half away, getting us there around 12:00 am.

Phone batteries recharged, bellies full and traffic that would beat Delhi rush hour hands down, we start towards Mandi. Jaiveer and Digvijay shoot off in front after many exhortations prior to riding that we must all ride together, since the hills are dicey at night. Then comes the next neat little surprise.

The twins blow their headlights. So between Ashwin and myself, we sandwich the crippled bike between us, as she ride down some very steep hillsides using our headlights.

At 15 kms an hour.

After struggling in this fashion for almost an hour, we pull over to replace the bulb – and promptly break it even further. A phone call from Jaiveer asking us where we were, really sets me off and he gets the ear wagging of his life. Needless to say, they stop where they were and wait for us to get there. Meeting up, we decide to abandon Mandi and stop wherever we can find rooms. 15 odd kms later, I pull into a roadside motel (for lack of a better word), unload, park and crash for the next 5 odd hours.


to be contd...
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500 arjithin Motorbikes 35 20th February 2016 20:26
Once bitten twice shy - Used Bullet 350 CI sam_sant2005 Motorbikes 60 26th April 2014 10:11
Bitten The Bullet!!!! bIte tHe bulLet Introduce yourself 14 17th October 2007 22:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks