Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th May 2010, 09:11   #1
BHPian

Cool "bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES

Call me a romantic….call me a psycho….call me a madman BUT there’s just something about bullets.

The first bike I ever rode was a 250 Yezdi that belonged to a friend of my parents….needless to say, the moment he walked in, tousled, hot and sweaty after a 25 km ride across Delhi in June, he would find me standing at the door, grinning inanely for him to hand over his keys.
The idiosyncrasies of the Yezdi notwithstanding, at the tender age of 15 I decided that I was going to own a bike and it would not be a 100 cc mosquito repeller!!!

(I’m about to get flamed now aren’t I???)

Being a fauji kid, without my dad knowing, I then chanced upon a fauji D.R’s (for the non military inclined – D.R. = Dispatch Rider) bike which was a standard issue 350 bullet in olive green. That was that and as they say, the rest was history!!!

Thus, my first job brought me my 1st purchase of a spanking new red and chrome 1998 model, 350 cc bullet machismo. She was the love of my life and she knew it!!! The balance, the poise and the ease with which she cut through swathes of manic Delhi traffic were attributes that all bulleteers will be familiar with. She was ridden for 7 years and then the arrival of cars, children (marriage in between!) and a general softening of soul made her sit idle except for the (very) occasional turn over to keep the electrics in check.
8 years from the day she arrived at my doorstep, she was then gifted to an ecstatic younger brother, as his mode of transport till then were his number “11’s”. This ensured that I got to see her and yet knew that she was being looked after at the same time.

However, fast forward 4 years and blame it on an impending mid life crisis (!) but the urge to ride a bullet re-surfaced… Suddenly, the sound of a passing Enfield would cause my head to spin around and listen for the unmistakable *beat* of a well-tuned cast iron bullet. My heart was set on an old school 500 standard. Having gone out of production in ’06, my options dwindled to trawling TBHP classifieds, other online posts and word of mouth recommendations… the agonizing heartache of not finding a machine or finding them in far off Bangalore wore thin on my patience and my time.
While reluctantly looking at AVL hearted 500’s, the UCE 500 arrived and with it it’s 6 month waiting period. I then also chanced upon a used UCE 500 that was for sale in Hyderabad, but price became an issue….also that in my heart of hearts, I still craved the right side shifter / left side brake insanity that RE are famous for!!

Then it happened. I found an inconspicuous online ad for a 2005 standard RE 500 ES with disk brake. Emails were sent and no replies were ever received. Frustration grew and to cut a long story short, I finally got a call. Saw the bike in the afternoon and had the payment made in the evening. The only problem was that the guy who was selling it had left the papers with a dealer in Karol Bagh, and dealers being dealers….he refused to part with the papers unless the sale went through him. *bugger cost me 10 grand*

The mechanical are superb… the electrics are fine. She had 11200 kms on the odo on the 30th of April when I bought her and now has 11460 kms 9 days later. She has had a full service and some TLC as the toolboxes and the swing arms were a little worse for wear. She wears new shoes on her rear and has just had her aluminum bits buffed into a state of high luster yesterday.

She pulls like a mule in any gear and and the breathtaking low end torque of the motor continuously brings a smile to my face. I have re-discovered the joys of never being stuck in traffic jams and been re-acquainted with the sensation of grit on my mouth and soot on my face.

To be contd…..
Attached Thumbnails
"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0781.jpg  

bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 09:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Clearly coming from an enthusiast. Congrats mate. Good teaser and excellent write up. 15 and Yezdi hmmm.. I don't know how many are going to take that well but, anyways congrats on reflaming your passion.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 09:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

A travelogue style write-up for a brand new used motorcycle? Good idea & the teaser is awesome. I'm no way a bullet fan unless RE launches a Vtwin or UCE 500 on TBTS, however, I'm hooked upto this thread not only to read, but also to understand what goes on in the mind that's addicted to Bullet.

Last edited by aargee : 11th May 2010 at 09:49.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 09:48   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase..

Guess what, I was exactly in your state of mind one year ago, having ridden the cast iron bullets in the past, the AVL hearted ones never excited me so much. Sold off my AVL and patiently waited for a CI500, and after months of emails, calls and frustration, I'm a proud owner of one... and I'm loving every bit of it ...

Keep thumping...

-Rishi
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 10:15   #5
BHPian

Great write up. TLC is what all RE's need i say.
I myself am waiting for a good bullet to come my way. Hope that happens soon.
More pictures please.
bornin70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 11:22   #6
BHPian

Thumbs up

Congrats on the buy! I was hunting for one CI 500 but then because of lack of funds, I stopped hunting for one. How much did you buy it for?

Tejas
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 12:09   #7
BHPian

Amazing ! Even i am looking out for a STD 500 from some time now. Got one, the person is asking ofr 1lac :( ! Congrats man. You got one good motorcycle
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 13:21   #8
BHPian

Forgot to mention a word of caution, there is a scarcity of spares for the CI 500s and I suggest you stock up some hard-to-find ones.
jingaboysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Default :)

and a couple more to keep the interest alive!!!
Attached Thumbnails
"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0780.jpg  

"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0783.jpg  

"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0788.jpg  

"bitten the bullet" - my *new* used RE 500 ES-img_0794.jpg  

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 11th May 2010 at 13:26.
Old 11th May 2010, 14:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

How do you take these pics? I simply love them. Are you using some scenic mode or something like that to filter out certain colors? Pls share the secret
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 14:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats bIte tHe bulLet. You are a lucky man.

These days our family is planning to upgrade my brother's bike & we have planned a bullet. But, he won't agree to anything other than the T'Bird (which I feel is not the proper Bullet). I am trying to brainwash him (yes brainwash), & hopefully we will buy the bullet soon.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 14:44   #12
BHPian

Hey.
Great buy.
my neighbor owns a CI 500
an amazing machine.
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 16:32   #13
BHPian

I dont know what to compliment for - the bike, the pics, the write up. Heck all of them are top notch.

Congrats on buying the monster. I also had my share of looking at the CI500s but the lack of funds stopped me in my tracks and I bought an Electra 350.

Please continue the good review and pics.
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 18:12   #14
BHPian

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Wow! Clearly coming from an enthusiast. Congrats mate. Good teaser and excellent write up. 15 and Yezdi hmmm.. I don't know how many are going to take that well but, anyways congrats on reflaming your passion.
thank you parvez... i love the RE and the 500 has such a different personality from my previous 350 that it's pretty cool...

i know i know... i was 15, BUT ALWAYS wore a helmet, and only went within the enclosed gates of our colony...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
A travelogue style write-up for a brand new used motorcycle? Good idea & the teaser is awesome. I'm no way a bullet fan unless RE launches a Vtwin or UCE 500 on TBTS, however, I'm hooked upto this thread not only to read, but also to understand what goes on in the mind that's addicted to Bullet.
aargee

i shall let you into my deep dark recesses mano... fear not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Congrats on your purchase..

Guess what, I was exactly in your state of mind one year ago, having ridden the cast iron bullets in the past, the AVL hearted ones never excited me so much. Sold off my AVL and patiently waited for a CI500, and after months of emails, calls and frustration, I'm a proud owner of one... and I'm loving every bit of it ...

Keep thumping...

-Rishi

jinga thanks dude...

in desperation i had started looking at avl's but just could NOT commit to buying it... you ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornin70s View Post
Great write up. TLC is what all RE's need i say.
I myself am waiting for a good bullet to come my way. Hope that happens soon.
More pictures please.
hey bornin...

i shall keep my fingers crossed for you as well bro.. ATB. more pics on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Congrats on the buy! I was hunting for one CI 500 but then because of lack of funds, I stopped hunting for one. How much did you buy it for?

hey ban..

the price for the CI 500's has gone through the roof.. no one seems to want to sell 'em off anymore. quite a few avl's are available and now a couple of classic 500's have also started appearing.

i had to pay a premium because a dealer was involved... though the bike belonged to an individual. it cost 75k and i've spent about 3k over that to sort some minor bits out. also a full service with ALL the fluids replaced.. don't remember the cost of that though.

a local sale (if you can find one) will today be in the region of 65-70 but i've heard of instances of people demanding 1 lakh for the bike (i.e. more than what they paid for it in the 1st place!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Forgot to mention a word of caution, there is a scarcity of spares for the CI 500s and I suggest you stock up some hard-to-find ones.
i know...already trying to source and keep a piston kit and some tappet rods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Amazing ! Even i am looking out for a STD 500 from some time now. Got one, the person is asking ofr 1lac :( ! Congrats man. You got one good motorcycle
cheers shan...

ATB with the search mano... take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Congrats bIte tHe bulLet. You are a lucky man.

These days our family is planning to upgrade my brother's bike & we have planned a bullet. But, he won't agree to anything other than the T'Bird (which I feel is not the proper Bullet). I am trying to brainwash him (yes brainwash), & hopefully we will buy the bullet soon.
cardeep...

keep at it mano. NOT the thunderbird... you need to get the classic shape. period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Hey.
Great buy.
my neighbor owns a CI 500
an amazing machine.
cheers iron,

it is a really sweet ride bro... it is really really sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
I dont know what to compliment for - the bike, the pics, the write up. Heck all of them are top notch.

Congrats on buying the monster. I also had my share of looking at the CI500s but the lack of funds stopped me in my tracks and I bought an Electra 350.

Please continue the good review and pics.
thanks rrahul,

it doesn't matter what you ride in the end. it has to make you FEEL good. thats all that counts. so all the best and ride safe.
Old 11th May 2010, 20:33   #15
BHPian

Congrats. Everytime some one posts about a Bullet, I'm forced to reply. It reminds me of the great time I had for three years in the early 80s on a 350. Although, I did own RD350s after that, there surely was something special about Bullets.

Ride safe and have a great time.

Last edited by VLOCT : 11th May 2010 at 20:34.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote