Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 22:47   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 294
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Royal Enfield Bullet STD 350 slight changes 5000KMS

hi all !

Its been a almost one year now, since i bought my standard 350, Among the last of CI's my STD 350 performs great. Even after being called junk by some fellow bulletiers, i have managed to keep my BULL in a good condition.

I thought of selling it, was mad because of problems the BULL started giving me. But after everything i made up my mind and decided to keep it in a heathly state for the rest of my life. Thinking about that i thought to make some slight modifications to get a bit more power & change some looks.

Talked to SANS ( saurabh ) today & decided to get myself a goldstar. I think that will be done till sunday. Now with that i am thinking to upjet or change my carb. to a better one. In this i need some help. What are the possiblities to take while changing a carb. or upjetting it ?

Secondly, i am thinking to go down to 18" and install a 130 size rear and a 100 front ? need you guys to please give your opinion in this as well. I will upload some current pictures tomorrow.

I hope i made some sense above and the bullet guru's might help me achieve some good.

Regards

Shantanu
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 20:50   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore/Pune
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,556 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
hi all !

Its been a almost one year now, since i bought my standard 350, Among the last of CI's my STD 350 performs great. Even after being called junk by some fellow bulletiers, i have managed to keep my BULL in a good condition.

I thought of selling it, was mad because of problems the BULL started giving me. But after everything i made up my mind and decided to keep it in a heathly state for the rest of my life. Thinking about that i thought to make some slight modifications to get a bit more power & change some looks.

Talked to SANS ( saurabh ) today & decided to get myself a goldstar. I think that will be done till sunday. Now with that i am thinking to upjet or change my carb. to a better one. In this i need some help. What are the possiblities to take while changing a carb. or upjetting it ?

Secondly, i am thinking to go down to 18" and install a 130 size rear and a 100 front ? need you guys to please give your opinion in this as well. I will upload some current pictures tomorrow.

I hope i made some sense above and the bullet guru's might help me achieve some good.

Regards

Shantanu
Bigger carb = Mikuni VM28, that is stock on CI500. Should get one for about INR 1100. You will need a bigger intake manifold.

Upjetting will need you to run the goldstar and go with the plug chops. Probably, you might be running 90 mains. You can go to 100 or 105 which might be the right size. But since you are in Dehradun, you might have to consider altitude, which might turn out to be a major factor.

If you are looking at performance, only a goldie and upjetting won't do. You need a better intake too. Combined, these mods will give you about a 25% increase in power and torque if done right.

Going down on the rear tire size will impact handling, making cornering better while the front end might be a little jumpy. Usually 19 inch front and 18 inch rear is a good compromise between handling and straight line stability.

130 section will make acceleration go down but this will be made up is you go down one inch on the tire size. Top speed will be the casualty.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 23:14   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 294
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

thanks JAY : for the reply ! yes 90 main and 25 pilot is what is stock on the 350. I am trying to get a 110, even a 105 might do ? I am planning to order a UNI filter or a K & N ? which one is better ?

About the rear tyre size, i am going in for a 120-80-18 ( not decided on the tyre yet)

Some questions about the carb. :

Is mikuni VM28 available ?

About the jets, asking like a noob, can i use any jet which is 105 or 100 ? or anything specific for a bullet ?

How do i work on the intake manifold ?
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:45   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 294
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

so many views, but no replies.. guys i need the help of my fellow bulletiers ad experts.

@JAY : got hold of a VM28 , it has 110 main jet and 60 pilot ? i am not sure of 60 pilot though, but the person claims it does ! what could be the possiblity ?

there not much difference between the VM24 and VM28 but i am not a master at fitting stuff :( . Any help would be deeply appreciated.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 18:07   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PB03, HR26, DL**
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

hey Shan i would really not know how much you use your bullet and what all you do to it, but still the suggestion from Jay regarding the Jet Size is good and also you can go for the bigger carb. In the case of the Wheels i would suggest you to remain stock i have riden a bullet with a fat 18 incher i did not like they way it handeled. go for the MRF 3.50 Tyre at the rear and in front if you paln the DISK go for the IRC 100/90 its very good for the handeling but that is just for the front.

Regarding the filter go for UNI Foam filter
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 23:27   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 294
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

WOW ! were the first words that escaped my mouth, once i rode my BULL today.

Hardwork pays, that true.

From the last two weeks, i have been planning some things for my BULL. Today was the day everything got done.

Pictures will follow soon, as my BULL is pending a wash after the work i did today.

Work Done :

New Mikuni Carb ( from Mikuni India )
New 18" Continental Tyre
Adjustable Timing Pins
DAY 1
After running around for two weeks in the SUN, I got myself a 18" RE Rim, a 40 Spokes standard hub & a STD. Swingarm.

DAY 2
With very helpfull information from navpreet318 i went to a fabricator, who adjusted my swingarm to fit a 18" ( 120-80) tyre. Took the hub & Rim to the Spoke guy, who wamoured the two into perfection.

The day was about over when i got a call from the courier company that there is a package awaiting.

DAY 3
First thing in the morning i went to the courier guy, was too curious to open my new carb. The guy told me that he was about to leave for my place . Went home and opened my package and got a well sealed and covered BOX packed Mikuni carb. Now the question was how do i fit it ? There was a lot of searching on the internet and asking some bullet gurus i know, everything went in vain. Then i thought to ask a mechanic what to do. The guy told me that i will have to buy the standard intake for 500 and customize it to fit in my bike. So i went and bought the intake. With that i got myself 5 packings.
opened up my carb & tried the new one on. near the air filter box side it was a perfect fit, had to just tighten the air vent seals. But on the other side was the biggest puzzle of my life, how do i fit in the Carb there with the Intake seal thingy ?
the screw holes were a mystery. I had to make the holes bigger. It took me 5 hours and a lot hurt hands that the file gave me.

DAY 4
Finally it was time to fit on the new carb. Ah, another mystery awaited me. the screws were small in lengthand didnt went through. I went to the market & searched if i could find the fit. Nothing helped but the mechanic advised me to use the Seat-holding screws, and really that did the job. now the only question was to fit the accellerator cable. This was where i got stuck. the VM28 uses the lengthier cable. I had no idea how to get the cable.

DAY 5
Went to the market and searched through every possible location i could get a 500 acc. cable, but the luck was not with me. went home and thought everything without the cable was a loss. didnt had the mood to even eat that day.

DAY 6
I called up my mechanic & told him where i was stuck. He gave the biggest good news of the day, he knew a trick to use the same STD 350 cable that was used in VM 24. I went to him with the new carb and my bike. He took out my cable and did something to it secretly and wow, there was the perfect cable in front of me. He insisted me to let him fit the carb. as i might screw up.

DAY 7
As fixed with my mechanic i went to him today @ 10 AM. he was waiting for me & i think was cursing me for being 20 mins. late . so it took him another 3 hours to put the carb. in. For that the tank screw was changed, the PAV unit was sealed and the Air pipe from the Air Filter Box was removed. The mechanic tuned my carb. didnt open it, didnt do anything else. I also got installed the timing pins that are adjustable and came pre-fitted in electra and the new bikes. I got my rear tyre installed and came home thumping.

DAY 8 ( tomorrow )
MY bull is pending a wash and a carb. tuning by me. The current performance of the BULL was that as i sat on it and gave a slight go ahead , it ran out like a horse. I didnt push my BULL today as i was worried of doing something bad in over joy.
So tomorrow i will give my bull a wash and polishing.

Shantanu
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 14:38   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
WOW ! were the first words that escaped my mouth, once i rode my BULL today.

Hardwork pays, that true.

From the last two weeks, i have been planning some things for my BULL. Today was the day everything got done.

Pictures will follow soon, as my BULL is pending a wash after the work i did today.

Work Done :

New Mikuni Carb ( from Mikuni India )
New 18" Continental Tyre
Adjustable Timing Pins
DAY 1
After running around for two weeks in the SUN, I got myself a 18" RE Rim, a 40 Spokes standard hub & a STD. Swingarm.

DAY 2
With very helpfull information from navpreet318 i went to a fabricator, who adjusted my swingarm to fit a 18" ( 120-80) tyre. Took the hub & Rim to the Spoke guy, who wamoured the two into perfection.

The day was about over when i got a call from the courier company that there is a package awaiting.

DAY 3
First thing in the morning i went to the courier guy, was too curious to open my new carb. The guy told me that he was about to leave for my place . Went home and opened my package and got a well sealed and covered BOX packed Mikuni carb. Now the question was how do i fit it ? There was a lot of searching on the internet and asking some bullet gurus i know, everything went in vain. Then i thought to ask a mechanic what to do. The guy told me that i will have to buy the standard intake for 500 and customize it to fit in my bike. So i went and bought the intake. With that i got myself 5 packings.
opened up my carb & tried the new one on. near the air filter box side it was a perfect fit, had to just tighten the air vent seals. But on the other side was the biggest puzzle of my life, how do i fit in the Carb there with the Intake seal thingy ?
the screw holes were a mystery. I had to make the holes bigger. It took me 5 hours and a lot hurt hands that the file gave me.

DAY 4
Finally it was time to fit on the new carb. Ah, another mystery awaited me. the screws were small in lengthand didnt went through. I went to the market & searched if i could find the fit. Nothing helped but the mechanic advised me to use the Seat-holding screws, and really that did the job. now the only question was to fit the accellerator cable. This was where i got stuck. the VM28 uses the lengthier cable. I had no idea how to get the cable.

DAY 5
Went to the market and searched through every possible location i could get a 500 acc. cable, but the luck was not with me. went home and thought everything without the cable was a loss. didnt had the mood to even eat that day.

DAY 6
I called up my mechanic & told him where i was stuck. He gave the biggest good news of the day, he knew a trick to use the same STD 350 cable that was used in VM 24. I went to him with the new carb and my bike. He took out my cable and did something to it secretly and wow, there was the perfect cable in front of me. He insisted me to let him fit the carb. as i might screw up.

DAY 7
As fixed with my mechanic i went to him today @ 10 AM. he was waiting for me & i think was cursing me for being 20 mins. late . so it took him another 3 hours to put the carb. in. For that the tank screw was changed, the PAV unit was sealed and the Air pipe from the Air Filter Box was removed. The mechanic tuned my carb. didnt open it, didnt do anything else. I also got installed the timing pins that are adjustable and came pre-fitted in electra and the new bikes. I got my rear tyre installed and came home thumping.

DAY 8 ( tomorrow )
MY bull is pending a wash and a carb. tuning by me. The current performance of the BULL was that as i sat on it and gave a slight go ahead , it ran out like a horse. I didnt push my BULL today as i was worried of doing something bad in over joy.
So tomorrow i will give my bull a wash and polishing.

Shantanu
Hi Shantanu (& also other experts)

RE Classics have 110mm rear tyre. You could have used the same.

Further, (I am also planning Electra for my brother with same mods) if you do not change/adjust the swingarm, does the tyre fouls the swingarm &/or the body of the bike.

Do we need to make some adjustments in front suspension of we plan to change the front tyre to 90mm like the C500?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions & awaiting picture from you Shantanu.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 17th May 2010 at 14:40.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 20:45   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 294
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

hi cardeep !

No you dont have to make any adjustments if you need to use a 90 or 100mm tyre in the front ! Now if you get a new electra i.e the UCE 350, you can easily go down to 110 as the swingarm is newer in these models.

In my case a 110mm tyre was rubbing against the swingarm and chain cover, hence two problems might arise. 1. tyre fouling 2. swingarm or any other parts heat/foul.

will post the pictures tomorrow
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:37   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
hi cardeep !

No you dont have to make any adjustments if you need to use a 90 or 100mm tyre in the front ! Now if you get a new electra i.e the UCE 350, you can easily go down to 110 as the swingarm is newer in these models.

In my case a 110mm tyre was rubbing against the swingarm and chain cover, hence two problems might arise. 1. tyre fouling 2. swingarm or any other parts heat/foul.

will post the pictures tomorrow
Hi Shantanu

Thank you for your reply. Can I go for 120mm tyre in the rear like you in the new Electra?

Excuse me for bothering you again...
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:11   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 294
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

hi cardeep !

The new electra has a 19" rear, so you will have to alter the swingarm as i did, you can find the MRF meteor that comes in 19" and 110 width. else fit a 18" rim and then go in for any size you want to !
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 17:51   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default

Thanks a lot Shantanu

BTW where are the pics?
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10,000 kms review of the legendary Royal Enfield STD 350 (Black). EDIT: Now sold Thar4x4 Motorbikes 36 12th January 2016 16:07
Rebirth of an '81 Royal Enfield 350 STD hvishwanathan Motorbikes 23 17th September 2014 13:07
"irish" royal enfield 350 bullet ozy Post-War 23 29th June 2010 14:31
Std 350? Hmmm Electra 5s? Or Mach 350? vinit.merchant Motorbikes 38 10th August 2009 13:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks