Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 19th May 2010, 11:47   #1
BHPian

Default The electric bullet

No, this aint no Bullet electra. An enterprising biker by the name of James Hammarhead ( epic name that ) decided to build a street electric bike and chose the Royal Enfield en route to retro heaven.
Name:  hammarheadvolta03.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  222.6 KB

As you can see, the final output looks nothing like a stock Enfield. I would say the cool factor has been upped all the way to 11.
Name:  hammarheadvolta07_sized.jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  96.8 KB

The new powerplant makes about 40 BHP which is a considerable improvement over the puny 18 horses which pull the enfield in stock form. Plus its green and with all the vibration gone, it is friendlier on the butt. Also, you dont need to worry about oil leaking.
Name:  hammarheadvolta04.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  380.6 KB

I am not a big fan of enfields ( sorry) but there is no way I can stop myself from falling in love with this one!
Wish some folks would do a similar job here in India. I would surely be in line to buy one.

Pictures from wired.
A detailed article on this creation appeared here
pradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:21   #2
BHPian

okay.... this is just seriously cool!!!!

the man's a genius and as much as i hate saying it, it takes a *gora* to build something this cool, with what has essentially been an Indian bike for the last 50 odd years....

kudos for digging this up mano.
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 12:27   #3
BHPian

Thanks Bud!

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "it takes a *gora* to build something this cool"
I am not going to delve into the east vs west here, but the v twin bullet and the Royal enfield scrambler come to mind when we talk of great projects on the bike. While have not seen really radical mods on the enfield in India, thus far, the Cafe racer projects (featured on T-BHP) would totally rank among the best.

Back to the electric bike, I really loved the hub center motor concept, should be an amazing bike to ride!
Old 19th May 2010, 12:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
the man's a genius and as much as i hate saying it, it takes a *gora* to build something this cool, with what has essentially been an Indian bike for the last 50 odd years....
Khool it may be.. but, did you see the price tag on this thing? $18,500!!

Which sane Indian would do this just for kicks? (ok.. some of us are crazy.. but this is totally insane lol)

and seriously, what is an enfield without the thump? The likes of Aniket are my true heroes.. but that's just me.
gbanavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 13:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

I really appreciate this effort; may be his personal liking toward RE made him choose Bullet. I'm wondering why RE doesn't learn from people like Hammarhead or Aniket? For people wondering who's Aniket, here's the link.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 14:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I really appreciate this effort; may be his personal liking toward RE made him choose Bullet. I'm wondering why RE doesn't learn from people like Hammarhead or Aniket? For people wondering who's Aniket, here's the link.
Because RE is run by douchebags. They won't change their core values of incompetence.

Good stuff for the electric motor.

Innovative for sure. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole personally, but a great effort all the same.

Cheers!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
OMG everybody must see what aniket has done! a vtwin bullet?. i am yet to absorb the shock! way to go aniket!
sportz_kruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 11:38   #8
BHPian

Well Aniket is not the first one to have created such a contraption. If my memory serves me right, the first such prototype was created by a bunch of aussies at Carberry Enfield.
If you take a gander to the website of hammahead motors you will find that he also produces this contraption called the Woodsman 500, again based on an Enfield.
The electric bullet-woodsman_01.jpg
The electric bullet-woodsman_05.jpg
The electric bullet-woodsman_04.jpg

Again the end result looks amazingly cool, though not as cool as the triumph derived scrambler called the Jackpine
The electric bullet-jackpine_01.jpg

Now that is something Steve Mcqueen would ride.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Naah,not for the bulleteer,it doesnot thump
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 11:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Because RE is run by douchebags. They won't change their core values of incompetence.
Right, let me not change their core values, but atleast move with technology? Only in the recent times they've moved to gas rear suspension & EFI (only on C5). When're they going to learn? Quality? Better not to talk on those.

Quote:
Well Aniket is not the first one to have created such a contraption
Yes, he's third, but he's the first Indian. He succeeded because he was in US. Apart from Carbery, check out Norcroft Enfield that has twin 500CC.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Part of that $18500 would be the cafe kit. The tank, full fairing, clipons and other detailed parts itself would've cost around Rs 2 lakhs. So if you don't make it a cafe racer, the price would be lesser.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote