Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 14th June 2010, 23:30   #1
BHPian

Default New UCE Bullet Electra TS PDI Checklist

Hi friends,

I am shortly getting a brand new Royal Enfield Bullet Electra Twin Spark with the UCE Engine.

Anybody who had brought a similar or UCE 350cc engined bike, can you please suggest some tips to be followed while taking delivery.

If there is a standard PDI to be followed for motorcycles, a link to the same will be appreciated.

As I might be getting the bike in a week's time any help in this regard is quite useful.

Mods, did not find any topic related to new UCE PDI. Kindly merge if thread exists.
Old 14th June 2010, 23:41   #2
BHPian

Why 'Bullet' UCE 350 man??? My younger bro has one and he is regretting it now.
Anyways, the most important thing would be to check for rust on the bike. Check the frame and all over the bike. Then see if there are any scratches. My bro got a bike which came with scratches for free!!!
Old 14th June 2010, 23:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Why 'Bullet' UCE 350 man??? My younger bro has one and he is regretting it now.
I did not get it? What do you mean by 'Why'? Is not the bullet a good bike?
Why is your brother regretting it?

Quote:
Anyways, the most important thing would be to check for rust on the bike. Check the frame and all over the bike.
Rust on a brand new bike is unacceptable, but considering the demand and lack of supply for the New REs, will the showroom consider changing the bike if there is a problem with rusting?

Quote:
My bro got a bike which came with scratches for free!!!
This is what I hate!
Old 15th June 2010, 00:37   #4
BHPian

Man, I got a 1978 Bullet 350 that is why. For half the price of a UCE 350, you can get an electra or a STD 350 with a cast iron heart!!!
The UCE 350's thump is hardly noticeable and it doesn't fell like a Bullet somehow. It feels like a Jap bike!!!
You can't go thumping at 20-25 km/hr on the forth gear or climb a hill on the same gear on a UCE 350 'Bullet'.
Now about the rust, even the Classic 500 is having the same trouble as you would have seen in this review:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ip-review.html
I think RE quality is going down the drain as the company gets older. The old bike, I mean really old one (1960 to 1970s) are much better than the new ones!!! Ofcourse, then the whole topic of British made and Indian made comes into play.

Last edited by Leepower : 15th June 2010 at 00:46.
Old 15th June 2010, 00:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Man, I got a 1978 Bullet 350 that is why. For half the price of a UCE 350, you can get an electra or a STD 350 with a cast iron heart!!!
You are lucky to get a good used bike. Maybe you get better deals in Pune.
Here in Karnataka, the cost of used bikes in good conditions, (especially Bullets) are in the new bike price territory.

Hence decided to go in for a new one. At least, I'll have the pleasure of a brand-new bike and have the assurance of a warranty if anything goes terribly wrong. I have seen many used bikes finally end up in the grave (scrapyard)!

Quote:
The UCE 350's thump is hardly noticeable and it doesn't fell like a Bullet somehow. It feels like a Jap bike!!!
You can't go thumping at 20-25 km/hr on the forth gear or climb a hill on the same gear on a UCE 350 'Bullet'.
I know, this is where I feel Grrr! about the missing heavy bass Thump! But maybe the Goldie or upswept silencers may make a difference.

But about cruising and torque at low speed , maybe recent UCE owners can clarify.

Quote:
I think RE quality is going down the drain.
So, what's new here?
Old 15th June 2010, 02:22   #6
BHPian

IMO UCE is not that bad an option. I agree the 'thump' lacks but that can be changed by changing the silencer. Still u won't get that bass of CI. I have had a trouble free bike for the last 3000kms with only problem of one of the fuses being changed. No rust,leakage or any other sort of old problems. I have ridden my bull in all kinds of conditions-expressways,kachha roads,villages et al.
It feels light,smooth and quick and it is also very fast. I suggest that before taking your bike demand from the dealer to change the rear tyre to 3.50x19'. I have ridden many CIs and also my dad's '91 STD. I feel that every bull offers something new. Better still take a test ride. Also i opine that one should embrace new technology. Many old bulleteers might disagree. But then to each his own.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
But about cruising and torque at low speed , maybe recent UCE owners can clarify

The bike cruises comfortably at 80km/hr.
Service intervals have increased to 6000km.
The older CI's & AVL's had service intervals at 3000kms.
Lacks the thump, But you can snap on a Goldstar to get the thump.
Downshift if you want to ride lower speeds. You are getting 5 gears use them appropriately.

The UCE engine with the carb has been tried and tested on the Thunderbird for almost 3 years now.
New technology is good. Niggling issues do exist but nothing that cannot be rectified.
The UCE 350 and Electra 350 are now more or less similar only difference is that UCE350 does not have an ES.
Check for
1) Rust
2) Light Switches
3) Scratches on mudguard
4) Electric start and kick start
5) Rev the bike to check for any rattling noises.
6) Take test ride
Old 15th June 2010, 16:12   #8
BHPian

Congrats on choosing the Bullet. Along with the above, also check the battery condition. Always insist on a test ride before you accept the bike. My Machismo (bought it in March) had the handle bar pulling to the left but after identification, the mechanic promptly corrected it. SO give a thorough check and take your time. All the best. After the run-in you can go in for mods to get that magical thump!!
Old 15th June 2010, 23:49   #9
BHPian

Thank you for your replies, LEE POWER, BIG SARAN, IRON and MADHKRIS,
I was worried whether I did the right choice by booking the Electra and having sold off my TVS Victor, I did not want to repent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
IMO UCE is not that bad an option.
I suggest that before taking your bike demand from the dealer to change the rear tyre to 3.50x19'. Better still take a test ride.
Obviously I don't have a choice and its UCE all the way. Maybe we'll speak about the UCE thump after another 15 years when electric motors rule.
Does not the Electra come with a 19" wheel at the rear. It is 3.25x19" according to RE website (Electra Twinspark).

Is 3.25 not sufficient or should I go for 3.50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Service intervals have increased to 6000km.
The older CI's & AVL's had service intervals at 3000kms.

The UCE 350 and Electra 350 are now more or less similar only difference is that UCE350 does not have an ES.
Check for
1) Rust
2) Light Switches
3) Scratches on mudguard
4) Electric start and kick start
5) Rev the bike to check for any rattling noises.
6) Take test ride
Good to see the service Interval, its a welcome change.
The STD UCE350 does not have a disc brake too.
Is revving the bike alright before the running in period since I heard the advice not to rev hard in the initial stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Always insist on a test ride before you accept the bike.
All three of you have suggested to take a test ride, my question is, whether the dealer permits Test ride before delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Always insist on a test ride before you accept the bike.
My Machismo (bought it in March) had the handle bar pulling to the left but after identification, the mechanic promptly corrected it.
@ Madhkris, Was the Machismo available in March this year?

Planning the mods only after the running-in. I am hungry for the Thump!
Old 16th June 2010, 00:43   #10
BHPian

On ripping the bike, follow the service manual and after the break-in period, you can do whatever you want!!!
Now, about Machismo, it was taken out way before September 2009 in Pune!!! I think it is coming back with Classic 500 Engine minus EFI i.e. with carb!!!
Old 16th June 2010, 05:40   #11
BHPian

@KA 18: I guess I was one of the last to lay hands on an LB500. The brand showroom guys said mine is probably the last one to be sold in Bangalore. I even heard of a standard 350 CI being sold in Kerala during April! probably the last few pieces left.

@LeePower: Am sure a Classic 500 engine with carb will be a welcome addition to the bullet family!
Old 16th June 2010, 14:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post

Is 3.25 not sufficient or should I go for 3.50?

Good to see the service Interval, its a welcome change.
The STD UCE350 does not have a disc brake too.
Is revving the bike alright before the running in period since I heard the advice not to rev hard in the initial stage.

All three of you have suggested to take a test ride, my question is, whether the dealer permits Test ride before delivery?
Ride the bike for a couple of hundred kms on 3.25", if you are comfortable with it then keep it or else there are many other options for tyres.

I was refering to the internals when i cited a comparison with STD350
STD350 comes with micarb VM24 & electra is equipped with BS29 UCAL
When i say rev hard I mean in stationery position wen the bike is in neutral, I think you have confused it with "ripping".

Ofcourse the dealer will permit you taking test ride before delivery.

Last edited by iron : 16th June 2010 at 14:44.
Old 17th June 2010, 17:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Ride the bike for a couple of hundred kms on 3.25", if you are comfortable with it then keep it or else there are many other options for tyres.
I live in place where there is heavy rainfall and the ground is usually slippery, any suggestions for the same? If I change a tyre for the monsoons, can I use it during summers and for touring too?

Quote:
When i say rev hard I mean in stationery position wen the bike is in neutral, I think you have confused it with "ripping".
No, I meant the same, since the engine and its parts will all be brand new, is it ok to rev the bike in neutral as it involves movement of the parts? Does it cause any damage if revved 'Hard'?
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:02   #14
BHPian

408 views and only 4 people replied!

So I guess that's all I need to check before delivery?
More suggestions if any.

Person from RE Brand Store, Bangalore called me today and told me to send in my payment as they are expecting delivery within a week.

Hopefully should get it within another 10 days.

Expect a Ownership review soon!

Last edited by KA18 : 23rd June 2010 at 00:16.
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:15   #15
BHPian

Hi KA18

The thump is not a problem if you change the silencer of that bike after 2k or 3k KM.
Change the silencer to Goldstar or indori type.
You can get good sound(Not as deep as CI unit, but it will do some magic.)

My 2006 Electra 5S is still going strong without any trouble. Every 2k, the oil change keeps my bike healthy.

Last edited by KALINGA : 23rd June 2010 at 09:17.
Closed Thread