Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd June 2010, 00:10   #1
BHPian

Default RE TS UCE Thunderbird: Finally got her home

Folks,

After waiting for the last 10 yrs, I did manage to get her home.
I am a die hard RE fan since school days but managed to throw in a few dashes of reality; waiting for the self start, UCE & better salt spray test passing chrome (presumption; fingers crossed). And of course waiting for the combination of enthusiasm and bank balance!

Dealership experience:

It started with the painful dealer visits at multiple dealers in Delhi; each beating the previous hands tied in customer dis-satisfaction (Is RE a.k.a. Mr. Lal listening?). After multitudes of excuses and waiting for a few weeks I got my color red.

- They are all the same, try looking for a bike enthusiast turned dealer, he would be miles ahead of the pack.
- Get the dealers to send email quotes with on-road price break-up, tentative delivery date.
- Pay only a token amount till you get the delivery to keep them engaged.
- Keep following on the delivery date as most of the dealers do not keep demo bikes so your bike may become one for a few days.
- Please take a print of the new car buyers guide on team-bhp. Though its meant for cars but is mostly applicable and was a great help (thanks guys!)
- Make sure the dealer gives you at least 1 liter of petrol.

First impression:

Dare I say she looked stunning? That would be an understatement. In red, chrome, metal and more metal she just looked fabulous!

- She looks wonderful specially the new seat chrome inserts accentuate the shape. The dead weights dampen vibrations.
- The mirrors are only a fashion accessory.
- The self-start is crisp.
- My bike had 4 kms on the odo when I took the delivery. The kick start too worked well.
- The plastics seem better. However, the front console is black plastic which am sure the quality will deteriorate over time and neutral lights & turn indicator lights may be difficult to see in the sun.
- Unfortunately even the odo and fuel guage have chrome plated plastic console which was disappointing but then i knew what i was getting into.

I did not get the silencer changed as the dealer could not confirm in writing about the emission compliance and yours truly is a little sensitive towards our environment. Will get it changed to get the RE thump only if I can find an emission compliant OEM.

First ride:
Did I say I felt liberated? Yes, I did. After a decade of having passed out of college and the muck of the corporate world; that one ride from Nehru Place to Mayur Vihar (New Delhi) made me fly. It was 12 in the afternoon on the 16th of June 2010; sweltering heat with a full face helmet; I didnt feel any heat. It was pure joy!

The handling has improved. The rear tyres feel safer, the disc brakes do not feel soggy, the bite can be better but nonetheless not bad. The suspension is better; however on listening intently I could hear the metal squeak of the casting over the telescopes. The seat is more comfortable over the last model.
The fuel filler cap made me realize the time that had gone by between my last bike refuel and this one.
I have done 196 Kms on her till date and the tank still shows 3/5th of a full tank. 196 Kms in 2/5th of full tank. The mileage too has improved not that it concerns any of us. Just that a Leh trip may leave one thing less to worry about.
The plastics however feel cheap. The main stand does not retract fully on its own on a new bike; it has to be pushed with the toe! The chasis buffing can definitely be better before the powder coating on a 1 lac+ bike (RE listening?).
The rear brakes seemed soft as if the brake lining did not exist.
The turn indicator kill switch or the spring load (within) do not seem just right. Am sure it will stop working in some time.

Well, thats as much for now. Will post an ownership experience pretty shortly. Not that any one of us cares. Like they say an RE needs to be taken care of as a partner and she is demanding!

Ride safe!
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your bike and sad to hear about your dealership experience. I guess its the same everywhere with RE dealers (somebody please prove me wrong).

Do post pics of your bike and happy cruising!
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Nitin. It is different experience owning & driving a RE.

Even my brother is expecting the delivery of TB by the evening today. Hopefully
the dealer does not mess up with him...
...else, the dealer will be in trouble, as he is the Manager of the bank branch where the dealer has the account.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:15   #4
BHPian

oh you lucky lucky dude!! i just booked my TBTS in the same colour as yours last week.. hence my 10 week wait has just begun!! hope you have a lot of fun with her!! please do post some pics of her!! am dying to see what mine is gonna look like when brand new!!
Cheers!! Ride Safe!!
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 20:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
the dealer does not mess up with him...
...else, the dealer will be in trouble, as he is the Manager of the bank branch where the dealer has the account.
Your brother will face no hassles, then.

But that's what irritating about the dealers in our country, if I am paying my hard earned money for a bike, I expect good service.

But the customer is treated a king elsewhere in the world by these same companies.

Why should I be made to pull strings for something that I have a right to?
KA18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:02   #6
BHPian

Default thanks all!

thanks all!

@admin - would appreciate if you could post my thankyou.

* because we need to be a little more aware of our rights and we still do not have class action law suits
nitin.rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the bike mate! Do post some pics of your ride.

Though you had a sad dealer experience, i guess the joy of riding the bike you have always wanted negates it and you just enjoy the feeling of the bike.

Wishing you many more miles on your TB!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 11:54   #8
BHPian

Congratulations!!!
The TBTS wont disappoint you a bit.
Take care for the first 3000 kms by riding it below the stipulated speed limits stated in the manual.
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 12:26   #9
BHPian

NO pics, NO joy. Make us happy
newcoolgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 12:31   #10
Team-BHP Support

^ I agree. I need pics.

You will enjoy her as the miles accumulate on the engine and make her as smooth as silk.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 13:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default Update

My brother got the TB delivered yesterday... Silver colour (somehow the Kinetic paintshop silver is lighter than RE Silver/Grey.

I did ride the bike, & must say that it is an altogether different experience... as if you are on seventh heaven of biking. Will soon post pictures of same on other thread by Sunday.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote