Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th April 2015, 12:44   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Accessories for the Royal Enfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Not sure of the STD 350.

The battery of my classic lasted a little over a year. But mine was used for short commutes, and button/self start, and hence did not completely recharge.

A couple of my friends are still running with the original battery after 2.5years, but they use the bike as a daily commute.
My original battery lasted me 5 years. It was Exide. Had bought Electra in 2009 and I changed the battery couple of months back. My commute too was very short, office being 3kms away. Though I had stopped using the self start for the last couple of years, mainly because I knew it is draining the battery.

The 14 amp new one's (Exide Sonic) are not that great and hardly last beyond their warranty of 1.5 years. Hence I went in for the 9 amp one this time (2 year warranty).
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 23:57   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
Hi Jim,
Usually how long does a battery last ? considering my low usage.
I have a STD 350 UCE , July 2013 Model
That is impossible to answer.

As you will see, some have batteries that don't last over a few months and others have had their batteries last for over 7 years.

A lot of the variation is due to the quality built into the battery and this can vary from excellent to poor, even with a individual manufacturer.

There are several causes for a battery to fail, the most common being a low battery charge.

Lead/acid batteries produce their electrical power by converting the lead (Pb) and lead peroxide (PbO2) that the plates are made from into lead sulfate (PbSO4). (This process also converts the sulfuric acid (H2SO4) into water which can freeze and damage a battery).

Lead is fairly ductile and the battery plates consist of a high percentage of it when the battery is fully charged. This gives a charged battery good resistance to vibration.

When the battery is discharged, the plates have a high concentration of lead sulfate. Lead sulfate tends to be brittle and in this brittle, discharged condition any vibration can cause it to break loose from the batteries plates.
When it does break loose it is no longer on the plates to produce electricity so the battery becomes "weaker".

Lead sulfate is also conductive so if a layer of it builds up in the bottom of the battery it can contact with the batteries plates it will create a short circuit, fully discharging the battery.
(This takes a long time for this to happen so it isn't a common failure mode for a one year or 1 1/2 year old battery.)

Keeping the battery in a fully charged condition will eliminate many of these problems and greatly extend its life.

Failing to keep the fluid level up to the full marks can also cause battery failure. As the fluid serves to carry the sulfate needed to make the electricity and completes the electrical circuit, if the fluid level is low the amount of power the battery can produce decreases. The exposed plates will also deteriorate and crumble faster leading to early failures.

Make it a habit to check the fluid level in each battery cell (if caps are provided). Do not over-fill the cells and always use pure distilled water .

The battery has a large number of connections that attach the positive plates to the other positive plates and likewise, connections that connect the negative plates together. There are also internal connections that connect the individual cells together. If one of these connections breaks, the battery will suddenly fail. The owner usually says, "It was working fine and suddenly it died."

Although even the best models of a battery the company makes can have this type of failure, the higher priced models are usually of better quality in this area.

Cracks in the battery case are rare but some leakage where the battery terminals come thru the top of the case can corrode the battery cable connection and dissolve the copper wires.
If this happens, all traces of the corrosion must be removed.
This can be done with a solution of baking soda and water but it usually requires removing the cable connection and scraping the connections so there is a good metal to metal contact.

I don't know if it is available in India but an old fix for a leaking battery post that often works is to pour a small amount of dark brown Corn Syrup (like Karo) at the metal/plastic joint. It will harden and make an acid proof seal.
A good roofing tar can also be used.
If this is done, be very careful not to get the syrup/tar on the electrical connection area of the post.

The Royal Enfield's are not known for their powerful battery charging systems.
If the motorcycles are ridden with all of their lights turned on and spend a lot of time sitting at stops, the alternator will not produce enough power to keep the system voltage above 12 volts.
At 12 volts or below, the battery is supplying the power so it is discharging.
Only with the engine running at speeds of at least 1200 rpm will the battery be charged.
Because of this, I recommend keeping the engine speed up, slightly faster than a normal idle whenever the rider is waiting for a light change.

Also, if short, low speed trips are the norm, buying a small trickle charger and plugging it in at night is a good idea.
(Do not get one that produces over 1 amp of power. Overcharging a battery can be as bad or worse than an undercharged battery.)
ArizonaJim is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 02:55   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
My original battery lasted me 5 years. It was Exide. Had bought Electra in 2009 and I changed the battery couple of months back. My commute too was very short, office being 3kms away. Though I had stopped using the self start for the last couple of years, mainly because I knew it is draining the battery.

The 14 amp new one's (Exide Sonic) are not that great and hardly last beyond their warranty of 1.5 years. Hence I went in for the 9 amp one this time (2 year warranty).
5 years for the Original battery is a good value for money,
May I know how many times did you recharge you battery ?
I mean the intervals from the first time.
Or did you recharge your battery on every service ?
Just curious !

Yes buying a small battery charger is a good idea.
Did anyone purchase the charger ?
help me with the brand/ make ?

@Jim Again , that was very informative, thankyou.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st May 2015 at 05:46. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Rugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 14:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged View Post
5 years for the Original battery is a good value for money,
May I know how many times did you recharge you battery ?
I mean the intervals from the first time.
Or did you recharge your battery on every service ?
Just curious !
The battery was not recharged a single time. During its last stages I did charge it once mainly because it was lying unused for 3 months due to my ankle fracture. But it did not last more than 10 days after that.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 20:03   #110
BHPian

Got a pair of Studds cruiser boxes for my Standard 350.
The shopkeeper said that the panniers for the left were recently released by the company due to demand.

Accessories for the Royal Enfield-panniers.jpg

Last edited by adrian : 17th July 2015 at 20:10.
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 01:30   #111
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Got a pair of Studds cruiser boxes for my Standard 350.
The shopkeeper said that the panniers for the left were recently released by the company due to demand.
Look good. What was the Pricing?
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2015, 12:10   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Look good. What was the Pricing?
The MRP per piece was Rs.995/- and I got it for Rs.975/-. So that makes it Rs.1950/- for the pair.
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 00:31   #113
BHPian

hi,
I need to press hard the horn button to honk.
Is it a sign of low battery ?

How often does the bike needs a service ? Interval ?
Is it every 2K or 3K kms ?

Is it compulsory to change the Air-filter during every service ?
please guide.
Rugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 11:12   #114
BHPian

Not necessarily. If the horn is sounding feeble then yes. Over period of time dust gets accumulated in-between the contacts inside the switch. Spray some wd 40 on the switch and check. Some symptoms of weak battery, self starter not cranking, dim headlight and at the worst case bike not starting.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2015, 16:25   #115
BHPian

Default Delhi HC bans sale of items under Royal Enfield trademarks on eBay

I just came across this news article where it says, "Delhi HC bans sale of items under Royal Enfield trademarks on eBay". It mentions Eicher has made out a "strong prima facie case" for grant of ex-parte ad-interim injunction against the persons who were selling on e-commerce site, eBay biking gear and items carrying the trademarks of the company.

More on this on the link mentioned below:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/49481988.cms

P.S. Mods I didn't find a relevant thread to post this hence posting it here. Remove or move if inappropriate.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016, 23:26   #116
BHPian

Can anyone guide me as to where can I get the GIVI box in mumbai? or online ?
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 12:56   #117
BHPian

Guys any idea where in Mumbai can I get the tank of Electra painted or wrapped in chrome? And what you guys suggest getting painted is a better option or wrapping it is a better option?
al pacino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 00:03   #118
Senior - BHPian

Official accessories for Himalayan by RE. (received from RE Dealer)

Unfortunately no info of their prices.

Name:  Himalayan Accessories0 Small.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  39.6 KB Name:  Himalayan Accessories2 Small.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  Himalayan Accessories4 Small.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  28.1 KB Name:  Himalayan Accessories6 Small.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  24.7 KB

Last edited by jeepster : 2nd August 2016 at 00:06.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote