Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd July 2010, 16:33   #1
BHPian

Question Buying brand new bikes with the help of a mechanic??

I was just hearing some rubbish talk from friends that they select new bikes only with the help of a mechanic. It seems they take the mechanic and he starts the engine and revs it. The mechanic identifies if there is any fault (just by revving !! ) and occassionally take it for a short spin. Then they decide if the bike is perfect or not.

It seems one of my friends' mechanic rejected 5 Unicorns (brand new, just delivered from factory) because they were faulty and bought the 6th one. This sounds stupid to me. Has anybody ever heard of such a thing? All the guys are under some sort of misconception. I cant help but laugh.

I argued saying that all bikes would have run in the same kilometres (factory test and pre-delivery check). The difference makes no sense as all bikes would be the same. Moreover, how can one say that one bike is superior just by revving it (in some cases, its a 1km ride)?

Anybody else can tell more on this? It sounds like utter nonsense to me!

Last edited by bblost : 2nd July 2010 at 16:45. Reason: Extra Smiley removed. Please refer forum rules. Thanks.
designersf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:39   #2
BHPian

that makes sense with second hand bikes... but brand new!???

may be the mechanic has some 7th sense.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 16:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

I heard that people take mechanics to check the used car or bike, but this is the first time hearing the story that even for new bike, people are depending on mechanics advise!!?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:57   #4
BHPian

It doesn't make sense to me for new vehicles!
I have heard this before. Infact, I remember a mechanic (brought along by my Father) doing a quick check on the first Ambassdar that we bought way back in '95!
mTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't do that, but then I wouldn't laugh at someone who does that.

If you have good experience, you can learn a lot about engine just by revving and "feeling" it. Exhaust note, vibrations, noise all will tell something if you can decipher it. Once you know your bike well, even you can make such things out. Experience pays! (Having said that, it may not be all that necessary for a brand new bike. Possibility of ending up with a lemon is much less with newer bikes than second hand ones).

Last edited by RX135 : 2nd July 2010 at 18:06.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 18:06   #6
BHPian

this is a classic con by mechanics.
the actual inside story is....believe it or not...that the mechanics get some fixed percentage money from dealers.

8 years back my mechanic had insisted that he goes with me to SELECT the new bike and what he actually did was just went around the bike and without even starting he said its fine pick this.

5 years later when my friend wanted to buy a new bike this same mechanic offered to go with him and when my friend said its not necessary and dint agree then the mechanic said he can get him a discount upto 1500rs since there is an understanding with the dealers.

i am not saying that all mechanics are like this but this is my case.
and also i am not saying that all dealers have this in practice but this was the case with Orion motors opp to forum which earlier used to sell TVS vehicles.
rvmohankumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

I've heard this stories & a friend of mine, several years back, did that too & the mech rejected the first one & selected the second one. I was wondering how they do it & my friend was to explain that he heard the sound of connecting rod & hence rejected that piece.

To me, now it sounds stupid (as age progresses & knowledge increases) as the company itself provides manufacturing warranty for about an year or two & anything faulty could be changed within this time. With most of the motorcycles flooding today's market, the rate of faulty machines have also come down. So to me, trusting a mechanic's opinion sounds like publicly admitting that I've zero knowledge.

But I just wonder, what if someone picks up the motorcycle as per mech's advice & still the motorcycle conks off? Will the mech help to replace with a new one?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 19:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
If you have good experience, you can learn a lot about engine just by revving and "feeling" it. Exhaust note, vibrations, noise all will tell something if you can decipher it. Once you know your bike well, even you can make such things out. Experience pays!
Totally agree with you. I have seen many mechanics who are in the line for years, rev the bike nearly to its rev limiter and listen to certain stuff. And again it makes sense on bikes that have run a considerable no. of kms. Not sure if it will help in anyway on a brand new bike. Specially rejecting 5 bikes and okaying the 6th one seems too far fetched. Guess the mechanic wanted to prove that getting him was a good decision and ended up rejecting 5 bikes to shorlist the 6th!!
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:26   #9
BHPian

Redlining the bike in the very first phase is enough to screw it up big time. Take a knowledgeable friend along and what more joy than sharing the pleasure of buying the bike with a known person
rdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly very preposterous, but I don't like the idea of picking up a bike which was previously crazy-rev'd by some mechanic.

As far as Bullets go, a lot of things can go wrong on the first day itself. I feel it helps being in touch with someone experienced with the particular model, just because they help you checkout specific problem issues. (I was constantly in touch with Shantanu and Randhawa when I bought my Classic!)
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote