Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th July 2010, 18:22   #16
BHPian

Problem identified: Clutch plates had gone kaputt!!! I am replacing them with CI 500's clutch plates. The Bull 350's plates are a joke. Hope 500's plates last for a while!!!
By the way Sudarshan, do you have any clue about where I can get this engine compression gauge???

Last edited by Leepower : 7th July 2010 at 18:33.
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 19:13   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Problem identified: Clutch plates had gone kaputt!!! I am replacing them with CI 500's clutch plates. The Bull 350's plates are a joke. Hope 500's plates last for a while!!!
By the way Sudarshan, do you have any clue about where I can get this engine compression gauge???
Hi, engine compression gauge is a usefull tool, but unless you are a DIY( do it yourself ) type of guy it is not worth buiying, but if you still insist checkout following places
1) Bombay Tools
2) Pardawala ( opp to Bombay Tools )
Thease are the shops at Laxmi rd. Satranjiwala chowk ( near Bohri aalee or Sonya Maruti Chowk )
Also you need to have the Factory spec.s of correct compression range ( service limits ) for your Model.
Yours Sudarshan
P.S. I have one gauge ,& will show you how it works ( if you wish )
Sudarshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 19:25   #18
BHPian

I would love to Sudarshan if that's not too inconventient for you. But first let me get my Bull up and running!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 7th July 2010 at 19:31.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
(1) So was the clutch plate really faulty? If the clutch is gone, the engine moves to higher rpm's (judge from the engine sound as your Bullet does not have a RPM meter I am sure) but the speeds get lower. So say the engine makes sound as if it was running @ 50 kmph in normal health, but now with the clutch gone, the same sound level will propel the bike move @ 25-30 kmph.There is evidently a power loss whcih the driver feels.
(2) Whereas before doing a compression test and so on for the engine health and piston condition check the engine oil consumption first. With a bad engine oil consumption becomes progressively excessive. I had a jeep that consumed 1 litre of oil for every 100 kms run when the engine condition was bad.
Now this excess oil consumed due to a poor engine compression emits an excessive whitish grey smoke. So you can check on the smoke quality and the oil consumption with the dip stick.If there are abnormalities then go for the compression test and engine work.
About the pillion 'dharle tar chavte & sodle tar palte' I relish the sense of humour within. Please consider this too "pan kaam kari masha hi chavte ani manjar hi palte".

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th July 2010 at 20:47.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 19:05   #20
BHPian

Problem Solved. My Bull is back to behaving like my Bull ie dug-duging smoothly and climbing hills without any effort. Did a test run on Kondhwa-Katraj road and she passed it with flying colours!!!
Old 10th July 2010, 20:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

So OK believe the clutch was gone and has been replaced?
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:58   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Piston trouble - Enfield Bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Hi, engine compression gauge is a usefull tool

Also you need to have the Factory spec.s of correct compression range ( service limits ) for your Model.
Yours Sudarshan
P.S. I have one gauge ,& will show you how it works ( if you wish )
Hi, one doubt regarding the usage of the compression gauge. You have to kick 5-6 times with throttle at WOT and the ignition turned off. What about the fuel valve ? Should it be open or closed ?
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it makes a difference bro. Kick till the needle stops going higher.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi, one doubt regarding the usage of the compression gauge. You have to kick 5-6 times with throttle at WOT and the ignition turned off. What about the fuel valve ? Should it be open or closed ?
regards adrian
Yep Throttle wide open so that air can get in. Or else your reading will be false. Fuel tap won't make a difference. But you need to have the engine warmed up.
You need to note each of the readings.

Bring the kick start lever to compression and then give it a healthy kick
The first kick should be half of the final reading you will/have reach/ed

And each succesive kick should move the compression reading up by about half the previous number that the gauge increases by.

Before all this you also need to know healthy compression of your engine

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 3rd August 2012 at 14:57.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote