Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th September 2011, 12:58   #106
BANNED

Default re: Project: Creating the world's fastest TurboDiesel Motorcycle! Road test video added

Although I did put up the video last eve,i would give a little insight on how thing happned. This ofcourse was not a planned outing.
One of my friend showed up,we sat together like friends do.
He said when was the test ride,i said when clouds clear for a few days and roads get better.
We set out towards the jungle without any plan in chappals and high(on confidence).
We soon reached a place where a seasonal river flows,although it was largly without water,but rocks big and small were all over the place along with sand.
I was scared to put the bike on such a track,full of trouble.
I was sure the bike was well capable of going through,but was not so sure if I will be able to hold it together being an average built guy.
Slotted it in 1st and clutch released,halting any where in the river meant, to get going again would become a task with tyre digging deeper into sand and slipping making the bike take its own course rather then take mine.
Crossed with one or two moments.
Thats when we decided we should make a clip of this stuff.
We reached a reserve forest area,we obviously took permission,as you guys can makeout from the clip.
Battery of the phone soon gave up(result of no pre-plan),and we lost very cool offroading moments in the jungle.
Slow speed riding is very imp as even minor imbalance is highlighted in absence of gyroscopic couple from wheels at greater speed.
Thats the reason why it is harder to ride and control a two wheeler at slower speeds.
Motorcycle demonstrated calm, controlled and balanced handling even at crawlling speeds.
Higher the speed ,it feels lighter and lighter.
Best bit was suspension.i did not think the jungle road was that bad,until later I saw the video and realised that pulsar was jumping around like rabbit even at 30odd kmph.
I On the other hand felt absolutely smooth and assuring even where surface was peppered with potholes and cracks on the top layer.
You do get the feeling on flesh of the butt,sort of vertical vibration when the bike is on broken surface,but the saddle never moves up and down along with the surface. We had some bigger irregularities on the road which must have used quite a bit of suspension travel,but we didnot run out of it and felt the jolt.
We tested the bike for 48km and speeds of 65kmph.
Brakes were below par,and I would need to do a little more to make them better.

To make a motorcycle from scratch is hard enough, to make it without jigs and fixtures is harder,to make at your backyard without proper tools make it harder still. Make it a turbo diesel is pushing the limits,make it over 100bhp is absolutely off the scale.
But at the end, to ride your creation is nirvana!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited. Mention of Mr. Mallya removed as it gives the impression of drinking and riding under the influence. Your one such post was edited earlier and you were appropriately warned. Further such posts will lead to stricter action.

Please read the board rules in the Announcements section before posting any further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th September 2011 at 13:34. Reason: post edited
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 4th September 2011, 13:36   #107
BANNED

Default re: Project: Creating the world's fastest TurboDiesel Motorcycle! Road test video added

Overwhelming views to the thread,but no replies.
Why are people not putting there thoughts on the page,or the thread has reached its limit of replies?
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 15:46   #108
BHPian

^^ Hey Dustom, not many have tried what you have and that could probably be the reason why not too many are commenting on your efforts. Needless to say, you seem to be doing a great job. Keep it up and we are all waiting to see the final results.
P.S. You mentioned that your brakes were below par and you need to work on them. Absolutely so. For the beast you are creating, stopping power is absolutely vital so as to keep it under control..both for the sake of your own skin and that of others on the roads.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 16:55   #109
Senior - BHPian

Awsome,i love the way it sounds.
dude riding without gear is ok,but riding topless with slippers-thats a disaster waiting to happen.
Please wear at least basic riding gear while riding this beast.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 16:57   #110
BHPian

Ohh Dustom,

I am not going to say anything different from others in this thread. Your work is amazing, great going

I am thinking of changing my petrol esteem to a diesel one, just thinking for quite sometime, but with your work here, I feel mine is next to nothing

Once again hats off to you..Keep up your good work. All the Best..
informmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 11:52   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
^^ Hey Dustom, not many have tried what you have and that could probably be the reason why not too many are commenting on your efforts. Needless to say, you seem to be doing a great job. Keep it up and we are all waiting to see the final results.
P.S. You mentioned that your brakes were below par and you need to work on them. Absolutely so. For the beast you are creating, stopping power is absolutely vital so as to keep it under control..both for the sake of your own skin and that of others on the roads.

Rear brake was ok,rear wheel locked up under heavy braking ,that means rear caliper is producing enough force. Although surface was damp,so lesser force was required for lock up.
It was the front brake that seems to be doing nothing or doin very little under braking.
May be there is air in front brake line or may be its just not good enough.
I will increase the front brake pressure,see if that works. Otherwise I will have to use a smaller master cylinder to make more multiplications of applied pressure.
Or may be its time to look for twin disk front wheel.
Further tests on well laid dry tarmac will help to arive at a report card.
Old 5th September 2011, 12:23   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hoodibaba.
Awesome and amazing.People have not replied coz very few would be there who would have dreamt about something like this(including me) and even lesser would have brought down their idea on ground.Great work.Simply thrilling to see this mean machine.I have not much idea about such stuff but i must tell you,this is SUPERB.
Just one request,please ride with proper riding gear,esp when you are riding this superbike.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 5th September 2011 at 12:26.
BoneCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 14:48   #113
BANNED

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post deleted. Please use the contact us form or the PM feature to discuss any issues.

Last edited by n_aditya : 5th September 2011 at 15:24.
Old 24th September 2011, 11:54   #114
BANNED

Weight reduction plan in place.
24kg down already,7 more to go. Wheel base to become 68inches from previous 75.

Looking for a team for next years speed week.6 self financed rough dudes required.
Old 24th September 2011, 13:53   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Hoodibaba.
Awesome and amazing.People have not replied coz very few would be there who would have dreamt about something like this(including me) and even lesser would have brought down their idea on ground.Great work.Simply thrilling to see this mean machine.I have not much idea about such stuff but i must tell you,this is SUPERB.
Just one request,please ride with proper riding gear,esp when you are riding this superbike.

Oh thanks mate! You are the first one to call it a superbike,compliment alright for a bike only in it early development phase.

You would not understand the sort of demonic powers it has,i experienced it in the jungle . It was heart pounding moment.
I was in 2nd gear,enjoying the view at around 13-14kph,engine nearly on lasy idle,without
Much drama.I was not even paying much attention to the bike, busy watching langurs and heards of spotted deer.
And I dont know why,but I shifted it into 3, which I shudnt have.
And suddenly I found my feet were in the air,and in hope to regain balance,i tried to tighten my grip on the handle bars. Desperate situation and another mistake. As my grip went firm,it twistd the accelerator as well. And trust me,with 100odd nm even at those feild plowing rpms , that right hand grip isnt an accelerator for a name sake.
I distinctly remember ,a fast moving cloud of bluish black smoke caught my eye.
That means ,my head was tilted so far back,that I could almost see the result of 'diesel demon trying to keep alive'

In a way I felt that,it was a warning from a big bad motor.
'If you play around with my survival,i am going to play with yours'.

From that day,new lesson I have learned,diesel bikes specially TC Big displacement ones,demand respect
Old 14th February 2012, 16:35   #116
BANNED

Falcon2 crdi is now multi-fuel ready.euro 3 on svo,ppo, blended kerosene and good old diesel and bio diesel. 0-100 on 4.7 sec on svo with 116bhp .no chip tuning here. videos coming in shortly.
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 15:06   #117
BANNED

Is the rear end looking too big?i feel so.should I change? What else? Handle bars seat etc

Name:  ForumRunner_20120320_150041.png
Views: 1858
Size:  328.9 KB
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 15:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Is the rear end looking too big?i feel so.should I change? What else? Handle bars seat etc
In my opinion the rear end does look too bulky. Just keep it simple chopper style.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 22:02   #119
BHPian

The rear end is looking way too big. Make it smaller. Bring itto sync with the bike's over all symmetry. There's a lot which can be done with the looks department on this bike. After all, It deserves that attention.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 17:56   #120
BANNED

I too think it makes the whole bike look use less and stupid.although the dimentions are almost replica of rocket 3(same wheelbase' same height' same width) but I am struggling to make even the simplest of panels . Upper say time is getting very hard to find.getting only 4-5 hours a week.
With the performance it surely deserves mighty cruiser looks and better quality finish. I am struggling in these departments.