Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th July 2010, 12:57   #1
BHPian

Question Scooter Advice- Rodeo?

Hey all- just moved to India (Mumbai) and was considering getting a scooter.

If I get a Mahindra Rodeo, I'd get an employee discount of some sort (figure 42-45k on-road). Haven't seen too many comparisons with the Rodeo- what is the new suspension like? Anyone check out the digital display (does it have contrast issues vs. a traditional speedo)? Any other major pros/cons vs. the Honda and TVS lines?

Also, I'm pretty experienced with cars (in the US) but have never been on a 2-wheeler (or driven anything in India for that matter). Figured scooters might be a good stepping stone before a real bike. How does one go about getting a license, and would you recommend going to a driving school (are there any good ones in Mumbai)?
amb9800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 23:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The Honda Dio, Aviator, Activa and the Suzuki Access are better choices. The Rodeo is very old wine in a new(Mahindra badged) bottle. It is the Kinetic Nova that had bombed earlier and best avoidable.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 03:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Honda Dio, Aviator, Activa and the Suzuki Access are better choices. The Rodeo is very old wine in a new(Mahindra badged) bottle. It is the Kinetic Nova that had bombed earlier and best avoidable.
Isn't the Duro the rebadged Nova? The Rodeo's supposed to be an upgraded Flyte (though I don't know what that's like either).
amb9800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 16:25   #4
BHPian

Yes. Rodeo is an upgrade of Flyte typically cosmetic onces ( Digital Console, Front Mud Guard, etc. ). I am also in the league of making a decision on buying Rodeo due to the overall design and the value it offers. But have put on hold until end of Aug though. Please test drive the scooters and choose the one which suits you.

On the licensing part you don't need to go to driving school. Need to apply for a Learner License and can apply for permanent one after a months time. Though a broker is required if you are not too much confident on driving "8" and doesn't want to take the pain .

Last edited by lightpower : 18th July 2010 at 16:30.
lightpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 17:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb9800 View Post
Isn't the Duro the rebadged Nova? The Rodeo's supposed to be an upgraded Flyte (though I don't know what that's like either).
Yes true indeed I mixed them up.The Duro is indeed the old Nova rebadged. The Flyte was made by Kinetic with Taiwanese collaboration and offers a lot of goodies for its price.Please check the fit and finish as that is where Kinetic faltered. Mahindra has'nt invested anything for upgradation.Test reports were all OK but the Rodeo does not sell.
The Japanese ones are more preferred.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 03:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any other major pros/cons vs. the Honda and TVS lines?
Honda scooters are the hot sellers as of now; its pouring Activa/Aviator & Scooty & fast catching Access 125. If you're able to brief more on your requirements & expectations, it will help to select a scooter that suits your well.

Quote:
Figured scooters might be a good stepping stone before a real bike.
Lol - That's a wrong impression.

Quote:
How does one go about getting a license, and would you recommend going to a driving school (are there any good ones in Mumbai)?
Yes, if you've just arrived in India, its best to approach driving schools to get a license.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 08:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Have no experience with the Rodeo. Do look at the offerings from Suzuki Access 125, Honda Activa and the TVS Wego.

Honda and TVS have wide spread sales and service network. Suzuki is slowly getting up there with the reach.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 10:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Smile

The only major issue with Mahindra scooters is the low GC. I have heard my friends tell me that the scooter scrapes even the smallest speed breakers. Although Mahindra's have taken over the Kinetic brands they still havent been able to do much justice to it except for the pricing which is lot more cheaper than the Suzuki Access and Honda Activa.

If your purchase would be short term which looks by your post then you can go for a second hand scooter and then graduate to a bike.

Reg licence, you can initially go in for a learner's license which is valid for 6 months and then take a test and get a permanent one. If you want peace of mind then go to a broker, if you are one of those who love adventures then do it on your own. Hope you dont end up tearing your hair in frustration on getting a first hand view of RTO administration in India.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 10:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

All Kinetic scooters (except the Kinetic Honda) were lemons. Best avoided, under whatever new label.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 10:47   #10
BHPian

Default Tvs Wego

Guess you should also check out the new TVS WEGO, it looks great and the performance is better than the activa range in terms of top end and mileage.
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 11:08   #11
BHPian

We have used the Kinetic Honda, Kinetic Pride, Bajaj Saffire and now we have a Honda Activa. Safe to say that the Activa is the best. The Pride & the Saffire had perpetual problems with things falling of, rough engine, poor engagement of gears for saffire, kick coming off its moorings, the stand falling off !!. So unless you are a very very careful user pl. go for the Honda or the Suzuki. Also if you are going to rough use the scooter, better to buy a METAL BODY like the activa and if you prefer betterlooks/style then ofcourse the Suzuki or the aviater.

Just my point of view !
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 18:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb9800 View Post
Rodeo- what is the new suspension like? )? Any other major pros/cons vs. the Honda and TVS lines
Suspension and Dynamics is one of the best in the business. Best handling scoot for riding singles.

Weak points against Honda are fit 'n' finish, marginally lower FE and resale value. (worldwide everybody has the same weakness against Honda) Like others said, Honda IS the hot seller and there is a waiting list for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
All Kinetic scooters (except the Kinetic Honda) were lemons. Best avoided, under whatever new label.
Absolutely incorrect statement!

I hope your definition of lemon is same as Oxford Dictonary! Bajaj Saffire and TVS Spectra were the lemons that were withdrawn from the market within a year of launch due to massive technical defects. Both LML and Bajaj have completely shutdown their scooter business due to losses but Kinetic was the only one to survive the onslaught of Honda and still good enough for Mahindra to buy them.
PS:Blaze was withdrawn because people were not ready to pay for a heavy powerful scoot.

All Kinetic scoots were all based on the successful original Kinetic Honda ...so if that wasn't a lemon then how did the others become lemons.

Last edited by Mpower : 20th July 2010 at 05:23.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 19:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't know whether to call it lemon or not, but one thing for sure is that Kinetic engineering's sole bread & butter was Kinetic Honda & none other models in scooters were that successful. Be it marvel, 4S, zoom, nova, flyte, blaze, none of them could be sold well. IMO, if Mahindra had bought out Kinetic, there could be several business reasons as well.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 09:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
All Kinetic scoots were all based on the successful original Kinetic Honda ...so if that wasn't a lemon then how did the others become lemons.
The engine of the KiHo was a gem! The power plants of all subsequent scooters were from Kinetic, and useless IMO. Some years ago a friend of mine bought a kinetic scooter- I forget the model name now, it was AAHO! or something - and was fed up with the constant problems and niggles. At one point he tried to sell it, and got an offer of Rs 2000 for a two year old scooter! So he dithered for another year or so. Then he got totally vexed and tried to sell again - this time no offer even for the old amount! At one stage he was frantically looking for someone to at least take it away free to clear the space, but again no success. It is still parked at his home!

I think this same scooter is re-badged as one of the Mahindra scooters!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 11:07   #15
BHPian

Hey pal, we just took our new TVS wego home yesterday eve, and I am already in love with it. The color is white and it's so awesome. Though I have ridden it only few kms, I would highly recommend it. The best part is ride and handling. With hydraulic telescopic at front and gas filled rear, it's got awesome ride. Scoot isn't tall like activa so it's very flickable.

Do test ride one.
indianvirus is offline   Reply With Quote