Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd August 2010, 22:10   #16

Although this is a comparatively old topic, but since I own a Karizma for last 5 years, would like to put in a few comments in here

Against your points in serial order
1. Ask the previous owner if he had an accident or the bike fell off which had affected the handle bar. Try replacing it and see if the pain goes away. Shouldnt cost much.
2. The idle RPM is best to be kept around 1250, keeps the engine healthy in the long run with optimum petrol level in the fuel mix. And yes, the engine revs up after some time .. upto 1800 rpm as in my case.
3. Karizma headlights are always underpowered, I am living with it. You can try what other members have suggested.
4. Your battery is very weak. You should get it serviced, ( topped up with acid and recharged ) and see if it makes a difference. Also, get the coils of the dynamo checked to see if they are producing enough power to charge the battery. The wiring may be short circuited at some place draining off your battery charge.
5. Get the rear brake drums and the brake shoes polished with some emery paper. This should kill the sound. (Since you have already replaced the brake shoes)
6. Taking a Karizma to neutral gear is a ALWAYS pain on the (you know where)! The job remains smooth for a day or two after a service when the clutch wire is adjusted, but it keeps coming back. Best solution is when stationary and first gear engaged, just let the bike move very slightly forward by releasing the clutch lever a bit while you simultaneously get your foot taking the gear pedal to neutral. Needs a bit of practice but works wonders when mastered. Try using your right foot to control the forward movement of the bike while doing this, so that it doesnt move forward way too much.

Let me know if these help!
DhumKetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 18:47   #17

Originally Posted by iron View Post
I had been searching for a used Karizma R as my second bike for quite sometime now. I finally acquired a Black Zma R with around 12k on the odo.
The bike is March 2007 model , sparingly used, well maintained as the previous owner already had a Splendor and another car.
I have been riding my Standard 350 for quite some time now and getting used to the Zma R took some time. The gears, brakes, seating position etc.but after a few kilometers it all came together and i was really enjoying it. A couple of things i felt needed correction like.
1)The front shocks were quite loose.
2) Front and rear brakes were loose.
3) Gears were stiff and clutch setting was required. etc'

I decided to give the bike for servicing at Fortpoint, Mahim and just the sake of my peace of mind i asked them to change every fluid in the bike.
Along with that the service advisor also asked me to carry out
Engine flush, DeCarbonizing, swing arm greasing, Changing the front disc pad along with couple of other minor things which i agreed.
The bike is running quite well.
Although i do have a few problems that i am facing.
1) The handle bar's causing some pain in my Right Elbow, any suggestion for a wider handle bar?

2) What is the idling rpm for a stock karizma R? When starting from cold the idling rpm is around 1000rpm but after riding for sometime, (9-10kms) it shoots up to 1250-1500rpm. is the normal?

3) The stock headlamp is a dud, sometimes while riding at night i feel the headlamp has conked off. Anything better than the stock headlamp.

4)The odo meter and clock seem to reset themselves automatically. Any reason why?

5)The rear brake gives out some squeaking noise while applied.

6) Engaging neutral when the bike comes to a stand still is a problem. i have to turn off the engine to shift it to neutral or i have to engage it when the bike is in motion. Is this normal?
I think the previous owner was a clutch rider, the clutch is a always half pressed in.

I will also be posting a few pictures . i am just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit.
Would you mind sharing the price?I too am planning to buy a 2007 R with 13k on odo.Price quoted is 59000.Also would like to know if anyone is selling their karizma r in bangalore for around 55- 60 k?Urgently needed.
punterccrx8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:28   #18
Default Re: Finally.. acquired a Karizma R.

Reviving and old topic, but didn't want to start a separate thread for this. The problem is with my '05 Karizma with 37k on the odometer. The problems are:

1. Even with a full tank, the fuel indicator only shows half full. The gauge that goes inside the tank could be a culprit, but the thing is I just put a new one a week back. Could it be due to faulty fitting or something? The rest of the stuff on the console works properly.

2. The bike doesn't hit reserve. Rather with the fuel cock on "ON" when I'm riding and the bike stops due to fuel getting over and I'm supposed to put it on reserve and it should start. It doesn't. Could a faulty fuel cock be the reason? Also, do you get Karima fuel cocks with locks?

loungefly is offline   Reply With Quote