Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 7th August 2010, 06:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post

Durability then also RE.......and so on and on........
HA HA HA! durability on an enfield? thats funny!

enfields last long because we have to keep changing the damn parts every few months!

and yes i am a thumper too...

I would suggest going for a ZMA.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 10:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Get an old Bull man. I mean the ones before 1980s. Or a Bullet 500. Get the real cast iron, not AVL or UCE. Classics, especially the 500 can be a pain in the rear. It's got lots of problems. Take the case of my friend's Classic 500.
He waited for nearly 6 months to get it. After just 4-5 months the bike started rusting!!!
Then the electric start button stopped working, then he found it difficult to kick start the bike-- he developed pain in his knee cos of trying to starting it. He had to replace it's motor also.
He can't even take it for long rides because of the uncomfortable seating position!!!
So finally he ended up paying near 1.5 lakh for a city commuter bike, with the same amount he could have bought atleast three sturdy Bullets.
Now about the AVL, it is a fine machine. But where would you get the spared. Bullet 500 spares are also difficult to find. But you will somehow manage to find them. You can even get it from the West where there are more CI 500s than 350. But in the case of CI 350 spares are not an issue at all.

I do not know if you have ever ridden a Classic, but I would advise you against spreading rumours. I ride a Classic 350 and have faced absolutely no issues till date. So, even if a few C5s have turned out to be lemons, kindly don't generalize it for all Classics.

As far as seating position is concerned, there is nothing wrong with the position as such. The issue lies with the soft foam.
I guess I can make a judgment on this, I ride 90 kms everyday.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 10:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
So, even if a few C5s have turned out to be lemons, kindly don't generalize it for all Classics.
The classic definitely is a welcome change from the kind of crap that came out of the Enfield factory the past 4 years. However lets not go into denial by pretending that all is well with the Classic. There are plenty of issues that RE needs to work on especially with regards to Quality Control.

There are atleast a dozen fellas with Classic's in Bangalore alone who are awaiting replacement parts for problems ranging from clutch to electricals. Clearly it is a classic case of too little too late.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 10:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you. In fact I just posted about how despite the improvements, the Classics are still not as reliable as the Japs.

But then again, its a welcome change!

And as far as the Cl350 goes, I haven't heard of any major issues (at least in Delhi).
Old 7th August 2010, 13:54   #20
BHPian

even i've not read many issues for 350 might be because the engine is well sorted as it was doing duty on TBTS earlier too
somspaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 08:03   #21

Cool RE is the one for you..

I have been riding a RE Electra 2001 model for the past 3 years, and can assure you, if you have a commute of 40km daily up-down, u shouldnt even consider anything else but for RE. the fuel efficiency would be somewhere around 35kmpl, which is decent considering a 350 cc engine. the Thunderbird would be a great bike. Do visit your nerest RE dealer.. it has everything you may think of:- Style, Comfort, Power, Form factor, and last but not least, "the traditional bullet feel"...
its RE all the way for me.
Thunderlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 17:28   #22
BHPian

Or why don't you go in for a second hand Ninja? Most of them wouldn't have crossed 10k kms, and will definitely be in good condition, and I think one of them should fit your budget if you extend it by 20k.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 01:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I do not know if you have ever ridden a Classic, but I would advise you against spreading rumours. I ride a Classic 350 and have faced absolutely no issues till date. So, even if a few C5s have turned out to be lemons, kindly don't generalize it for all Classics.

As far as seating position is concerned, there is nothing wrong with the position as such. The issue lies with the soft foam.
I guess I can make a judgment on this, I ride 90 kms everyday.
Boss, I was talking about Classic 500, not 350. The latter's got a UCE heart so it wouldn't have any problems just like the Thunderbird, Electra Twinspark or Bullet 350 UCE.
Now, about the seating position, try riding for 200 kms on a Classic. You will be forced to take frequent breaks cos your rear end would hurt like hell or it would go numb (all depends on your rear pain-tolerance capacity) !!! Now try any other RE machines. Your back will thank you for the change!!!
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 01:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

@ Leepower

The 500 is a Unit Construction Engine as well. But yes, far less reliable than the 350.

I ride over 100 kms continuously, without breaks, on my Classic very frequently; I understand what you mean! I got my seat changed (a backrest built into it), but it still isn't comfortable.
Old 11th August 2010, 20:49   #25
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest a Karizma ZMR. The bike is good in performance terms and is a comfy highway cruiser, though its not that value for money as compared to the P220. The Yam R15 is also a terrific machine. Though last month I drove a friend's R15 for around 1000kms over 3 days and was left with intense back pain. Can't blame it fully on the R15 though, I'm 6' 3" so perhaps my height was a problem for such long rides.
//M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 17:36   #26
BHPian

Default BMW F650 Funduro

May not be a bad idea to be on the lookout for the late 90s BMW F650 Funduro that Hero Honda sold in India... you may swing one around the 2 lac mark. Terrific machine in terms of ruggedness and ride quality though the single cylinder Rotax engine does get a little choppy... all-in-all a good long term buy.
ravi_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 10:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

enfields last long because we have to keep changing the damn parts every few months!

I second COUGAR!
because of RE 'dur-inability' i sold my brand new Bullet 350 CI Std (in 2009) within three months of purchase. And yeah 10 visits to workshop in between!

NO RE please. Even recently a friend of mine (despite my warning) took TBTS and having starter problems now. RE sucks when it comes to QC. Old war horses prior to 1970 though are far far durable in real sense. And yeah the new Classics, 'looks' a better RE, not sure though.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 14th August 2010 at 10:27.
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 14:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post

Bro, if you see the smiley at the end of my post you'd understand..
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 15:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Pick up an R-15. Surely packs a punch.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 15:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the Fazer a good option for this application?
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote