Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th August 2010, 07:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Well it shouldn't have to be that way!
I agree it shouldn't - but it is, and RE owners, present and potential have to find a way to deal with it. And by the way, I read in the recent Autocar that RE is looking to expand capacity significantly. I am not any closer to RE than reading about it in magazines, but that bit of news seems to tell a different story to me that the one you refer to, about a fading RE.
Yes, in the nineties, quality on the RE was truly horrifying. But since the current CEO stepped in, circa 2005, they have made large strides in building some reliability into the bikes. And as evidenced by my 2007 model LB500, these are certainly to be seen in the product - imagine a RE that does not leave evidence of where it is parked every day! I had expected that the next iteration, the UCE engine bike, with the new engine construction, self adjusting tappets etc ( there is another tricky thing about Bullets - they hate anything other than slightly slack, even noisy tappets, spot on is not the right setting, tight tappets are a disaster!) would mark another significant step forward in reliability for RE. Sadly, and for reasons I don't know, this hasn't happened, RE seems to have gone backwards here. So, unless I get a SBK one day, I shall hang on to my 2007 LB500, it is the peak of RE reliability up until today! And I will not modify it in any way, but if I was to do long distance on it to places where mechanics are scarce, I would have it rewired first.
By the way, I don't know who your mechanic in Pune is - my bike goes to Ramesh opposite E square, the place he operates out of inspires no confidence, but the man knows the bikes inside out, and so far, my experience of his work and rates is very good. That's another thing about the RE - either you work on it yourself and/or you have access to a knowledgeable and interested mechanic. Another little Bullet story - one time after he had finished the service, I was checking the carb tuning/idle setting by turning up the throttle very quickly - he tells me, but that is not the way you are to ride a Bullet, the throttle is to be opened gradually every time, and if you do that, my tuning will give you the right idle each time you shut it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Since we are going way OT here. I strongly suggest you move over to another thread on Bullet reliability and both of us leave this one to the OP.[/b]
I have continued this discussion because I think it is of value to the "which bike" discussion, but if we want to get into more close combat, I guess it does need another thread No offense meant to anyone.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 08:05   #47
BHPian

With respect to their financial condition, a little bit of research will reveal just how shaky the situation is- their marketing consultant might ofcourse call it a hatchet job out of habit! or denial.

They did ramp up capacity to around 50k a year in 2009 - a fair bit of capacity expansion from ~24k 2 years before. But instead of helping that has contributed to the problem: mere expansion of capacity without solving the associated and serious problems they are having with quality while adding to the precarious cash-flow situation. Sales can ONLY improve if they can improve on quality. Stunts like the annual "Himalayan Blunder" can only help so much and that too only if backed up with a commensurate investment in inventory and QC. Sadly none of this has happened.

And their sad attempts to ramp up the dealer network are falling flat with rather disastrous results. It would have been funny if it weren't so pathetic.

One practical check: go to your local spare parts dealer to enquire about availability of spare parts. Why is it that there is this sudden shortage of essential spares in the market? The answers to these questions are very disturbing indeed. All the signs are of a company that is headed into the pooper. And it truly breaks my heart to see this happen.

PS: My bike goes to Ramesh too when i am in pune or Balu when i am in mumbai. But while I trust Ramesh completely with the engine, for electrical work I prefer to go elsewhere.

Last edited by COUGAR : 17th August 2010 at 08:23.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 08:09   #48
Team-BHP Support

Note from Team BHP Support.

Please stick to the topic.
This is about
Quote:
What motorcycle options available in the 1-2L OTR Range
and not about RE reliability.

There exist other threads for RE reliability. If needed you may also create a new thread dedicated to the same.
Let us get back to the topic.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 08:21   #49
BHPian

Quote:

This is about and not about RE reliability.
Since the OP was looking for a bike with good build quality and reliability, we offered the suggestion that these factors being key, the Enfield is not the right choice atleast not in the current avatar.

The R15 or maybe even a second hand Beemer maybe a better idea.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 08:28   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since the OP was looking for a bike with good build quality and reliability, we offered the suggestion that these factors being key, the Enfield is not the right choice atleast not in the current avatar.
We will let the OP decide that.

Quote:
Sir this is why I haven't been posting much in this thread as I don't have much to add as due to one reason or the other I haven't been able to test drive the bikes mentioned in this thread.
I am for the time being biased towards the R-15 :-) but on the other hand it seems that how good the bike feels also depends upon the road one would frequent on.
This is why I request input from Chennai members of the board.
I'll be staying either in porur or poonamalle(Dad says its pronounced poontha malli but this is what is shown on google maps).Depending upon what area I find a home,I'll be taking the porur road and then 5-8km on the NH4 to Chembarambakkam or the poonamalle high road-->bypass road-->NH4
Would the R-15 be recommended for such travel conditions.I apologize for over analyzing the situation,I can be like that sometimes :P
The r15 will be a very good choice for the traffic congested streets of Chennai. And it looks good as well. But I would prefer a slightly taller bike. Its my opinion that in traffic it helps if you can see as far ahead over the tops of other cars on the road. But that brings a problem with higher gc.

Any specific reason you have the budget set at 1-2 lakhs. Because what you need is a commuter bike. And an Unicorn can serve the purpose just as well.
But if its looking good while you commute. Then R15 or the Karizma rock.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 08:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The R15 or maybe even a second hand Beemer maybe a better idea.
I would not recommend anything second hand where bikes are concerned. Unless you are on intimate friend terms with the current owner. Compared to a car, a lot more that can go wrong on a bike will have an impact on life or limb. I would buy a new bike in the price range, even if it is more modest than a second hand one in the same price range, and then look after it well. A car breaks down, and other than places like the e way, that is usually just an inconvenience. A bike throws its chain, you don't want to be on it.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 07:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
We will let the OP decide that.

The r15 will be a very good choice for the traffic congested streets of Chennai. And it looks good as well. But I would prefer a slightly taller bike. Its my opinion that in traffic it helps if you can see as far ahead over the tops of other cars on the road. But that brings a problem with higher gc.

Any specific reason you have the budget set at 1-2 lakhs. Because what you need is a commuter bike. And an Unicorn can serve the purpose just as well.
But if its looking good while you commute. Then R15 or the Karizma rock.
Thank you Sir for bringing the thread back on topic.I'm 5ft 8"-9"ish and I don't think I'll be comfortable in too tall a bike.
As for the specific budget,I was hoping to get a bike a segement higher than the usual fare,the equivalent of the ANHC or Corolla if you will,but it seems our Indian market has totally skipped that segment.This is because I've be riding an i10 AT at home in Mumbai and I had a general opinion of all bikes being less comfortable than a car but that seems to have changed somewhat.
As for the bullet,no doubt its a great bike but I personally feel the bike looks a bit more intimidating in comparison to modern day bikes,but thats just a personal opinion.
Arun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 07:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

@Arun

As you very rightly pointed out, there is a huge gaping hole in the product line-up. There are not too many options going beyond 1 lac.

The R15 would be a good buy for you given your height. And if comfort and relaxed ownership is what you seek, I would advise against any RE.

As the bad boy said, your purpose will be served well buy the commuter range. Anything in the range of 50-75k would be good for the city in general. If you do want a bit of exclusivity and don't mind paying a slight premium for it, the ZMR and R15 are viable options.

As far as comfort is concerned, my personal experience says that the Unicorn and the ZMR are the best. Do test drive them, it will give you a much better idea of what to expect in this segment.

Cheers!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote