Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th August 2010, 17:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

My bikes' odo has got a problem now. It reads out just 1/3rd of original value. My college is 12kms but today the odo moved just 8 kms to and fro. A new problem! Reliability anyone ?

The idling and starting problem are gone. But I never expected the speedo/odo problem. I do use tacho more than speedo, so I will repair the bike only after 17500 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Aggoswami was a victim to a lemon. He has mentioned before that other zeus owners have not faced the same issue. Remember even Hero honda's churn out lemons. More so than other manufacturers.

And yes, dealers are there to earn profit and your motorcycle value might be estimated lesser than what you get in the market. But as Aggoswami mentioned the dealer is not the culprit as they depend on some brokers. Go for GS150R. Do make sure you check your bike before taking delivery and you wont have any problems.
Correct. HH lemons are less when we compare the overall numbers produced, but the problem does exists. An example. My friend has a Passion and his brother has Spelendor. We all are aware how similar both the bikes are w.r.t mechanical. Passion is not as reliable in monsoon as Splendor. Both the bikes were purchased within one month time frame. The carb and air filter were replaced in Passion after warranty period without any argument. This show that HH too will have a few issues.

If at all you are going for GS150, check out the bike's manufacturing date and the precautions Devarshi84 has pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
I would like to know what the reason for this, because exactly same thing happened to my bike(yamaha g5) after coming from servicing last week. Speedometer needle starts to oscillate when nearing 50km and the speed shown is 15km less , i checked with gps.
But the speedometer error only comes after crossing 40km/hr.

Earlier everything was perfect but now speedometer reading is wrong after 40km/hr.

Mostly the worm gear in the wheel hub goes bad.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 15:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that the issues with the carb is sorted out and they have replaced it without charging you.

The odo/speedo problem are relatively minor issues compared to the nightmare with the carb you were facing earlier and can wait to be fixed in the next service.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 16:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Do update on what you find out, will be eagerly waiting to read that, specially after what I have faced.

Hello Aag, I took the delivery of GS150R yesterday as I did not find any other bike suiting my needs. Now lets see what happens and lets hope for the best regarding quality of the product. The bike seem really nice right now though.

I had similar experience as you with my P150. The valves got bent and piston needed replacement just in 3 years at 20K kms inspite of regular services and gentle handing. That is the reason i sold it and bought GSR.

Regarding dealer trying to fool me, it was indeed the case. I have paid DP 20K right now, and have 36 installments of Rs.1800/-. When i went earlier to get my P150 exchanged, the dealer broker duo indeed tried to play me. It was well planned drama as i found out later. Firstly the broker offered 23K, which obviously I found unsatisfactory. The SE called another guy, who played manager, came into the meeting and asked me what my expectations are and how much DP i will pay. I said i want around 30K and i will pay whole sum as DP. My idea was to either reduce amount or number of installments. The manager playing guy said all right we will give you 29K for your bike, and you will have to pay 36 installment of 17**/-. Fortunately i did not take the offer and waited 3 weeks till they forgot the whole thing and gave me the current offer, when i went for purchase yesterday. Otherwise i would have paid approx. 6000/- more. I yesterday found out the guy played manager last time, is also just a mid aged SE.

These guys talk real good and behave very friendly, but one has to be very careful or they will fool you, making you feel good.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th October 2010 at 19:55. Reason: Fixing quote as reported.
indianvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 15:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Aag, I took the delivery of GS150R yesterday as I did not find any other bike suiting my needs. Now lets see what happens and lets hope for the best regarding quality of the product. The bike seem really nice right now though.

I had similar experience as you with my P150. The valves got bent and piston needed replacement just in 3 years at 20K kms inspite of regular services and gentle handing. That is the reason i sold it and bought GSR.

Regarding dealer trying to fool me, it was indeed the case. I have paid DP 20K right now, and have 36 installments of Rs.1800/-. When i went earlier to get my P150 exchanged, the dealer broker duo indeed tried to play me. It was well planned drama as i found out later. Firstly the broker offered 23K, which obviously I found unsatisfactory. The SE called another guy, who played manager, came into the meeting and asked me what my expectations are and how much DP i will pay. I said i want around 30K and i will pay whole sum as DP. My idea was to either reduce amount or number of installments. The manager playing guy said all right we will give you 29K for your bike, and you will have to pay 36 installment of 17**/-. Fortunately i did not take the offer and waited 3 weeks till they forgot the whole thing and gave me the current offer, when i went for purchase yesterday. Otherwise i would have paid approx. 6000/- more. I yesterday found out the guy played manager last time, is also just a mid aged SE.

These guys talk real good and behave very friendly, but one has to be very careful or they will fool you, making you feel good.
Wow, what a story! Glad that you were cautious enough. I was offered 9K on Caliber which had covered a lot of kms. Similar quotations were given to me by Honda also. And Congrats on your bike. Make sure that you get every service done as per the manual because if at all something goes wrong, it would be nice to have all the documents in order.

About my bike, well here is the update :

1) My speedo has stopped working completely since my last post on this thread. Remember that the bike has not even done 20K kms.

2) A part of front disc brake caliper is missing. I found this out when I got vibrations while applying front disc. The front disc is also making a lot of sound. The front disc is nothing to write home about. Its operating at 20% of its original efficiency.

3) One screw that I have posted in the images is still not fixed and it does make noise. Its rattling when I am riding bike.

4) The instrument cluster light would go off and come on again when lights are operated. Some lose connection somewhere.

5) The bike feels as if I have covered 1 lakh kms. My Caliber even after so many kms. felt tighter and strong than what my Zeus is feeling right now.

6) The rubber ring on tank filler is showing its age and I am sure in future this will lead to dirt in the tank.

7) Fuel smell has started coming off again. This was absent for a few days but now again some smell is coming.

8) The brake fluid cable is not in its hinge since last one year. I had pointed this out many times to service center, but still its not fixed.

9) Engine once again is getting a bit rougher.

10) Relatively better FE. The speedo is not working but daily I commute around 30 kms., and accordingly my current FE is around 58-60. Starting problem is a lot less than earlier.

11) Idling comes down automatically after a few days. Since the day my carb was changed it was stable but slowly and steadily its coming down.

12) The chain develops excessive play suddenly. I have reduced my driving speed significantly and rarely cross 3.5K rpm.

13) Chassis and stability is nothing to talk about, its bad. Was never good, but the overall feel has got just bad.

I am sure I am gifted a lemon specially after the front disc problem and front spoiler problem.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 30th August 2010 at 15:43.
Old 30th August 2010, 23:01   #35
BHPian

Yes Aag, that's right. You got a lemon just like me. My P150 was also sort of lemon.

First of all the digital console developed tiny cracks by itself hence in very first monsoon, the display went off just at 3K kms. I got the replacement for free but the replacement also developed cracks.

Then within 11 months the maintenance free battery got dead (during warranty period), i never got replacement for the same. I had to settle with normal battery after 3 months of fighting with exide.

Then recently the valves got bent and the piston needed replacement.

Also I noticed during last few days that the disk brake used to get locked just by gentle squiz of brake lever. This did not happen always but happened randomly. It threw me off once due to this, i was lucky enough to get away with just a bruised knee.

I think this all happened because i purchased bike during KAMURATA (inauspicious time period)

I got rid off the bike finally and went for GSR, I hope this turns out to be right decision.

Regards.

Last edited by indianvirus : 30th August 2010 at 23:03.
indianvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 13:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

About my bike, well here is the update :

I am sure I am gifted a lemon specially after the front disc problem and front spoiler problem.
Oh no! Not again.. And yes it should be a lemon gifted to you by the dealer. Please sell the bike and move on with a different reliable brand of bike of your choice.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Update :

1) FE is excellent. I am consistently getting 60 kmpl approx. Also I have reduced my normal riding speed from 55-60 to 35-40 approx. I calculate speed as per rpm meter. Zeus does around 12.5 kmph/1000 rpm in fifth. I now mostly ride at 3000 rpm.

2) Front disc. Makes too much noise, braking is now worse than the drum brakes of my Caliber. The rear brakes of my Zeus is better than front. Front disc is now almost useless.

3) The instrument console light would go off automatically and come on automatically.

4) Idling when engine is warm has again dropped to around 1K rpm., but atleast it idles. However, while starting off after idle I have to give more amount of throttle and clutch slip else the bike would stall as the engine is not making enough torque at 1K rpm than 1200 rpm.

5) Chain is getting lose like never before.

The bike was purchases for Rs. 51,000/- one week before I joined TBHP in May 2007. Never expected so much trouble. I am really busy with studies now so not even in a position to get the bike repaired again.

Lesson : Never buy a thing that is niche. Sometimes you end up paying a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Oh no! Not again.. And yes it should be a lemon gifted to you by the dealer. Please sell the bike and move on with a different reliable brand of bike of your choice.
Right now, buying a new bike is not a good proposition. Our M800 has the engine in excellent shape even at 1.19 lakh kms., but the suspension and body is showing age to such an extent that the car visits service center once in two months for 2-3 days. We are looking forward to Wagon R CNG, so that is one cost.

Next my higher studies fees, so a new bike will be there only if this one break down completely.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:26   #38
BHPian

Why dont you sell your bike and buy another second hand one. It is better to get rid of this one.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 13:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Why dont you sell your bike and buy another second hand one. It is better to get rid of this one.
+1.. was about to suggest the same. Better to sell the bike and add a few thousands (if needed) and pick up a used bike.
Old 10th October 2010, 17:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
+1.. was about to suggest the same. Better to sell the bike and add a few thousands (if needed) and pick up a used bike.
My bike would not fetch me even Rs. 15K! Yes, that is what the market says. If I sell privately then also extracting more than 20K is difficult.

As per the update on the bike, here it goes:

1) I dont know what is exactly wrong, but when I turn the steering fully to left and try to pull the bike backwards, the front wheel gets locked. Its very difficult to reverse, i.e. to pull the bike backwards specially after parking.

2) Now even if the steering is straight, the front wheel is locked while reversing. Bringing out the bike after parking is a pain.

3) The front brake is fully useless. I am riding the bike just on rear brakes.

4) Speedo has stopped working. Remember that the bike has not completed even 20K kms. The speedo has stopped at 15XXX kms. Under similar conditions, by sister's Kristal, our earlier Bajaj Spirit and Caliber had their speedo running till atleast 25K ( in case of Spirit ) and upto 80K in Caliber.

5) Estimated FE remains nice. The only positive point of the ride. Throttle response has gone bad since last 10 days, but its manageable.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Just now gave the bike for service.

1) The front wheel problem is associated with some mudguard clamp that is what they told me. Also the front pads need change, which will be done for Rs. 255/- including labor charge.

2) The speedo not working is reported, will cost Rs. 170/-.

3) Normal service Rs. 400/-

4) I told the service manager Mr. Hiren that there is fluctuation in rpm, for example I am riding the bike at 4000 rpm ( now my standard after my sister's accident ), there is some fluctuation in rpm and it feels as if the bike has missed some firing. But the SA said its normal, which I dont agree upon. Never had this fluctuation in my Caliber.

5) Everything else fine except the front black shield, which I have not asked them to fit in properly as it would a) cost more b) take time.

Overall FE with 4000-4500 rpm max riding is good given the increasing and pathetic traffic conditions of my city.

On the bike front, today's estimate is Rs. 1025/- which again is on higher side. I am planning to switch to Mobil 1 or Shell Helix Ultra oil in future.
I am not sure if I can use or not use Synthetic oil in bike. The basic reason for such a change is to extend service intervals. Monthly my bike is doing more than 1000 kms, so I wish I could extend the service to 7-8K kms. i.e. every 7-8 months service has to be done, not 3-4 months which is being done right now.
Old 25th October 2010, 15:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bike would not fetch me even Rs. 15K! Yes, that is what the market says. If I sell privately then also extracting more than 20K is difficult.

As per the update on the bike, here it goes:

1) I dont know what is exactly wrong, but when I turn the steering fully to left and try to pull the bike backwards, the front wheel gets locked. Its very difficult to reverse, i.e. to pull the bike backwards specially after parking.

2) Now even if the steering is straight, the front wheel is locked while reversing. Bringing out the bike after parking is a pain.

3) The front brake is fully useless. I am riding the bike just on rear brakes.

4) Speedo has stopped working. Remember that the bike has not completed even 20K kms. The speedo has stopped at 15XXX kms. Under similar conditions, by sister's Kristal, our earlier Bajaj Spirit and Caliber had their speedo running till atleast 25K ( in case of Spirit ) and upto 80K in Caliber.

5) Estimated FE remains nice. The only positive point of the ride. Throttle response has gone bad since last 10 days, but its manageable.
Have you tried getting your bike serviced and repair from outside instead of giving it to suzuki service station all the while?

I am sure local mechanic will give you good service than the guys at service station.

Though our access 125 haven't developed any problems and its running smooth. No issues with service too. All smooth flowing.

There are a couple of mechanics in karelibaug area where i use to get my p150 repair after paid services got over. Bike runs like a dream after 7+ yrs.

Or second option, sell it, get a 100cc bike or a used 125/150cc bike. Its not worth risking your life riding without front brakes or having trouble with your steering. This is a big risk you are taking. I would advice against this.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 19:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

Got the bike serviced today, the bill came out to be Rs. 670/-. High IMO for a bike that has done less than 20K kms.

1) The front disc pads are changed, cost is Rs. 201/- for the set. The wheel was not rotating free, so asked them to look into the bike, a mechanic did some fluid leaking with a small nut and the wheel was much more free rotating.

2) The response has improved a bit after the service. I think that the oil has to be replaced 3K kms and anything above that reduces engine response and one can feel that engine is not eager and less free revving.

3) The bike otherwise is rotating free as compared to what it was earlier.

4) I was asked to get the wheel through job done. I was sure that something else was wrong other than brake.

5) The worm gear for the speedo costs a massive rs. 350/-!!! Yes, Rs. 350/- for worm gear and Rs. 450/- for carb slider kit. Suzuki is looting customers as far as worm gear is concerned. My first question is how come the worm gear fail at 15786 kms. ? Its not significant kms done. The worn out worm gear proves that the front wheel was out of alignment. The Caliber speedo stopped after 50K kms IIRC. And Caliber had seen worse terrain and rougher use than my bike. My bike has seen speed, but on smooth roads like VIP road and Old Padra Road in my city.

Am I satisfied ?

No. Why ?

The idle rpm is 2000 which is very high. IMO, the service center guys are working hard to keep me happy after what had happened earlier.

I am OK with dealer and service center, but as a product, the bike is pathetic. One or the other problem crops up every now and then. Also I suppose that valves need to be adjusted every 1000 kms. as idling gets unstable after around 1000 kms. after every service. Its more than carb here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
1) Have you tried getting your bike serviced and repair from outside instead of giving it to suzuki service station all the while?

I am sure local mechanic will give you good service than the guys at service station.

2) Though our access 125 haven't developed any problems and its running smooth. No issues with service too. All smooth flowing.

There are a couple of mechanics in karelibaug area where i use to get my p150 repair after paid services got over. Bike runs like a dream after 7+ yrs.

3) Or second option, sell it, get a 100cc bike or a used 125/150cc bike. Its not worth risking your life riding without front brakes or having trouble with your steering. This is a big risk you are taking. I would advice against this.
1) This is problem of having a bike that is not very successful in the market. Parts for Zeus are not available in after market. Next, most of the mechanics have no experience in working with Zeus. So I am afraid to take my bike to somebody who has not worked on a Zeus earlier.
But looks like I will have to take risk and will try a local mechanic known to us earlier.

2) And I hope your access remains a workhorse without any problems.
Do send me the location of the mechanics known to you.
Will try them out if next time Suzuki fails to understand and service my bike to my standards.

3) Correct, a big risk. This is wait and watch phase, if things are not sorted out, I think buying a new 100cc bike will be a wise thing to do.
We recently acquired CNG K10 Wagon R, so right now any purchase is a bit tight, but let me see what happens for next around 3-4K kms.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) This is problem of having a bike that is not very successful in the market. Parts for Zeus are not available in after market. Next, most of the mechanics have no experience in working with Zeus. So I am afraid to take my bike to somebody who has not worked on a Zeus earlier.
But looks like I will have to take risk and will try a local mechanic known to us earlier.

2) And I hope your access remains a workhorse without any problems.
Do send me the location of the mechanics known to you.
Will try them out if next time Suzuki fails to understand and service my bike to my standards.

3) Correct, a big risk. This is wait and watch phase, if things are not sorted out, I think buying a new 100cc bike will be a wise thing to do.
We recently acquired CNG K10 Wagon R, so right now any purchase is a bit tight, but let me see what happens for next around 3-4K kms.
I don't think after market spares is a serious issue. My friend had a zeus and we use to get spares for his bike from stores in salatwada. You may wanna inquire there. There are 2-3 big stores in salatwada(a-star n likes) that are parts specialist. I am sure they stock them. And they had be more than happy to order it for you if they don't have it in stock.

I feel since you are unsatisfied with your bike, you should get rid of it. That's what my zeus friend did and that's what i believe. He got a FZ when he got bored with zeus. He didn't face issues like you did, but still there were some smaller not too significant ones. If i would have been in your place, i would have dumped it ages ago. But then that's me.

670 rupees is an ok price. My p150 use to cost about the same. Though even in 30k kms, i never replaced the front disk pads neither the gear for speedo. But there were other regular things for which i was charged.

And last but not the least, drive safe and carefully.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote