Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 4th September 2012, 21:29   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
The primary chain does NOT share oil with the engine. You will need to top up or replace the oil seperately. Use SAE 40 [Mak Gold40] for this and NOT a multigrade like 20w40. it takes around 440 ml if the primary case has been opened [which is a good idea as you can check the tension of the chain and the condition of the clutch].
thanks for the useful info sir. could you please guide me as to how should i go about draining the old oil and filling in the new one. that would help me in doing it to my bike.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 22:02   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Assembling My Own *enfield*

here are the photos of my bike with the projector installed
Attached Thumbnails
Assembling My Own *enfield*-20120904_203726.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-20120904_203737.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-20120904_203749.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-20120904_203759.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-20120904_203824.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-20120904_203838.jpg  

Assembling My Own *enfield*-20120904_203846.jpg  

Old 4th September 2012, 22:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
here are the photos of my bike with the projector installed
Congrats on your buy there. You seem to have a bike in pristine condition! Few questions though, did you build the bike or did you buy it as a whole? Also, is the light from the projector really helpful? Those look like 8000K lamps and I'm not sure if that is very effective in illuminating the road.
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 10:18   #49
BHPian

Thanks for the reply sir. Earlier i was looking for an engine so that i could start with the build. But i was lucky enough to find this bike that fit into my budget and the condition was also good.

Yes, its a 8000k hid. Without the projector the hid is useless, but due to the focus of the projector the illumination as well as the focus is very good. And comparing to the old halogen bulb- reflector setup, i would anyday prefer the projector.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:38   #50
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the useful info sir. could you please guide me as to how should i go about draining the old oil and filling in the new one. that would help me in doing it to my bike.
The best way to remove all the old oil is to open the primary chain case. You will have to first remove the left side footrest then open the case. Clean out all the old oil and check clutch and chain [tension etc] replace the rubber beading seal with a new one and replace the case. open the filler and fill in 440ml oil. Then making sure the bile is level open the small level screw and you should get some oil leaking out.Replace screw without loosing too much oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Why not a multigrade? Whats so good about straight oil in comparison?

If its about anti-friction additives, i doubt it'd induce excess slip or wear. i might be wrong as well but multigrade is being used for ages & even RE says it in last of CI engine manuals atleast.
Actually Enfield advocates the use of SAE 20 for the primary chain case in ALL their bikes. Multigrade is only recommended for the engine. I have found over years of using Enfields that with SAE 20 the clutch tends to run a bit hot especially over long distances. Thats why I use SAE40.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th September 2012 at 21:09. Reason: Please read the note in your Post, thanks
Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 12:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I'd like to come towards the problems now.

2. the front shocks were leaking- under process
Please elaborate this ‘under process’. Is there anything extra than replacing of oil seals.
&
What replacement you have found for 00 grade grease?
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 13:03   #52
BHPian

Hey thats a great project you have planned! And congrats on your buy!

But please do post plans for your bike build. Is it still in the pipelines? Waiting for updates!

Cheers!
thumpingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 15:39   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Please elaborate this ‘under process’. Is there anything extra than replacing of oil seals.
&
What replacement you have found for 00 grade grease?
Thanks for the reply sir. As we can see on the first page i have posted the pics of front forks. But unfortunately those are of the front disk model and do not have a provision to attach the front brake cable. So i am under the process of selling it and buying new compatible ones. Or the second option is getting the old ones r.efilled with new seals
Old 5th September 2012, 19:31   #54
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Queries

@S.I.N.G.H. sweet ride man. You've done all the above listed work on your own? A commendable effort. Always wanted to be able to work on my own bike. Not enough practical knowhow and a huge amount of theoretical knowledge usually lead up to me having to call in a mechanic to finish a job ive only been able to do halfway.

On a more serious note. Watsup with the projector headlamp. The ring alone will not give you enough light right? Is there a main bulb that you have installed as well?
abhimanyuargal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 20:05   #55
BHPian

please have a look at this video. really informative one.
Old 6th September 2012, 07:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyuargal View Post
@S.I.N.G.H. sweet ride man. You've done all the above listed work on your own? A commendable effort. Always wanted to be able to work on my own bike. Not enough practical knowhow and a huge amount of theoretical knowledge usually lead up to me having to call in a mechanic to finish a job ive only been able to do halfway.

On a more serious note. Watsup with the projector headlamp. The ring alone will not give you enough light right? Is there a main bulb that you have installed as well?
thanks for the reply sir. ya, all the work we see here is done by me. the blue light is just the angle eye ring. there is a 8000k hid installed in the projector.
Old 6th September 2012, 23:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its a 8000k hid. Without the projector the hid is useless, but due to the focus of the projector the illumination as well as the focus is very good. And comparing to the old halogen bulb- reflector setup, i would anyday prefer the projector.

Wouldn't a 4300K or a 6000K bulb be more effective in illumination?
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 08:56   #58
BHPian

I haven't tried 4300k or 6000k, so i cant actually compare it with the 8000k. would surely answer to this question once i get to know about the intensities of 4300k and 6000k
Old 8th September 2012, 09:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Got onto the thread very late, but it's an awesome effort. For the prices BULLETS are selling these days, it makes a lot of sense building your own bike.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 21:47   #60
BHPian

A very good evening to all my fellow bhpians. I have planned the next mod on the bike. I am extending the swing arm by 5 inches.

What i'll be doing is that i would cut the two arms of the swing arm exactly from the center. Then i would be attaching the custom machined extensions which would have grooves on both ends so that it fits exactly on to the cut portion. Most probably i'll be using MIG welding to weld the portion as it is one of the most strongest forms of welding that is known and accessable to me. I am still looking for the correct grade of metal that i should use to maintain the stability of the whole system.

Now coming to the suspension mounts, i'll be keeping them at the stock position. There would be a change in the angle of the spring dampers, but those would be taken care of by adjusting the stiffness of the springs.

As of now this is what I have planned. Please if any one of us has already done any such project, share your experiences and views.

Thanks