Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th September 2010, 12:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Got my first free service done last weekend at the end of 500 kms.

Few observations :
1. Starting problem - the starting problem is only with the starter button. With kick its fine. According to the RE mechanic, the battery is dead and is not charging. I have a contrary observation. Even when the engine is off, headlight is working fine, so is horn and sidelight. So I think its not the battery. It's something to do with the starter.
2. Trip meter problem still not solved. It does not move ahead from 99.9 e.g. if I reset it at 100, when it stucks at 99, it goes on smoothly till 199.9 and then again restarts at 199.1 till 199.9 and it goes on like that till I move it manually to 200, and at 299.9 its same problem.

The fuel average till now, (after 600 km) is roughly 45. I was pleasantly surprised to get this figure. I was told when taking delivery that till first couple of services, it would be around 32-35.

Gurus - please help me with above two problems.
Hi advaitlele

My brother bought a RETB few months back & we are facing the same problems (except the starter button). The trip-meter problem is annoying as the local dealer is not getting the parts from RE. Guess RE is yet to get to the roots of the trip-meter problem.

Otherwise the bike is a revelation to drive in my everyday (me too get fair share of opportunities to drive the bike) & the mileage figures are similar in my case.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 12:43   #17
BHPian

hey advait..

congratulations bud on the TB. she looks absolutely gorgeous in red. having ridden a 350 for a good 7 years before passing her onto my brother, i finally went out and bought a 500 CI a couple of months ago.

so, in effect - yet another born again biker!

with all the negative publicity the re's receive, there is only one simple 'mantra' for lack of a better word, in the RE world. take care of her - more than you would with any other motorcycle, and she WILL NOT desert you.

here hoping your initial travails are sorted (sooner rather than later) and you carry on to enjoying your ride as she is meant to be!

take care and ride sane bud,
ak.
bIte tHe bulLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 13:40   #18
BHPian

Thanks All for the wishes.

@CARDEEP - yes the Bird is indeed a revelation to ride. Am enjoying every bit of it.

@ bIte tHe bulLet - The born again rider is enjoying every moment of riding (or gliding?) on the bird. Having clocked 600+km in a month and a half without me taking her to office speaks of itself. Cant ride the Bird to office everyday thanks to craters created by the rains in Pune and regularly "serviced" by the Pune municipality.

Hope I can sort out the two problems this Saturday.
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 17:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks All for the wishes.

@CARDEEP - yes the Bird is indeed a revelation to ride. Am enjoying every bit of it.

@ bIte tHe bulLet - The born again rider is enjoying every moment of riding (or gliding?) on the bird. Having clocked 600+km in a month and a half without me taking her to office speaks of itself. Cant ride the Bird to office everyday thanks to craters created by the rains in Pune and regularly "serviced" by the Pune municipality.

Hope I can sort out the two problems this Saturday.
@adv,

I have 6 month old TBTS, trip meter problem is been from day 1. It goes till 99 then stops, then if you set to 100 it will go till 199 and stops. I have complained about this from first service, Now 4th is due in weeks time. not sorted. when asked for explanation they say some research is going on reading the problem. During 3 rd service i just took a walk around new lots of bikes arrived and i see all the new bikes are fitted with different meter.

reading starter problem. yes its there. everytime i go to service station they send me back saying its normal. These days when i use electric start there is thud sound as some metal pieces banging inside. still they not ready to accept the mistake.

THese guys at service center are below par. icing on the cake is qualtiy of parts. I dont know what to do about that. my handle bar, nuts holding them and the fork assembly is already rusting. they are not bothered to give solution. My back rest for pillion rider is rusting. No solution till now. bike is dream. I have completed 8+k kms now. bike is just a dream to ride. but seeing the 6 month old bike rusting is not a good sign though.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 12:44   #20
BHPian

advait, I have seen the starter problem on a couple of other Birds as well. Definitely a starter motor related problem, which a friend of mine got it replaced under warranty.
Same as with EndofDayz, the Service Center guys told him there isn't a problem or part is not available or some such BS but he managed to contact RE directly and get the part replaced free of cost (will find out if he has contact details).
His bike also has the trip meter problem which is yet to be resolved.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 17:22   #21
BHPian

@ Endofdayz - yes, it indeed pains when you see prized possession rusting. As I said in first post of the thread, I noticed all the bolts / screws on shockers, back-rest and elsewhere rusted and got it changed next day. Quite a pleasant shock for me. Am yet to find any rusting on my Bird yet. Hope it does not happen.

@Abhay - would be helpful if you can pass on the mail / number. SMS me when you find it.

Its a devilish happines, I am not alone speaking about same problems . But definitely RE must think over it. Its prized possessions and first love for most of us and have to be given right treatment by RE.

Aah ! The Bird. Am dying to go on long rides from the day I got delivery but some or other reason my weekends have been quite hectic. Hopefully after mid-Oct I have enough time to plan for weekend ride. By that time monsoons would also be over and greenery still intact. Anyone?
Old 6th December 2010, 13:10   #22
BHPian

Back on Bird. Yes, I am back on my bird after quite some time.

Last couple of months were quite hectic on personal front and could not post on Bird updates for some time.

2nd Service - Bird was due for second service after 1000 kms. I gave it just before Diwali and asked them to complete servicing and keep it at the workshop and weekend after that I will collect it. One full week without Bird was too much but had no choice. The fact that workshop is 27kms from my home leaves me with no choice but to keep it for servicing on Saturday and get it back next weekend.

I had specifically asked them on the unfinished items from 1st service - about trip meter and starting problem.
Update : tripmeter and odo promptly changed. So after clocking 1025 kms I was back to 0. Starting problem prromptly forgotton. I was shocked to get the Bird back as it is. I was told by the mechanic that they have charged the battery again and that I should ride for a couple of more days and see if the charge stays. I asked them if they can show them the voltage again; and as I guessed it was showing 10.56. I countered if they had a full charge overnight it should have stayed there. So its battery problem and I should get new one. This was on 20th Nov.

Anyways, I had no choice arguing with them as they persisted I ride it for 2-3 days again and "check" if the charge stays. Come weekend after that I was again at the workshop and asked for battery replacement. They took photocopy of my sales receipt and battery warrenty card.

On 3rd Dec. I got my Bird back with new battery. I am happy again.

Previous problems of
1. Horn very low on sound - gone with new battery
2. Starting problem - gone with new battery. I could self-start Bird even in cold Pune morning today.
3. Trip meter stalling on 99 - gone. They have changed the complete set and meter again showing 140 kms today.

Thumbs up to the mechanics at Dhone Automobiles. Though they took long time (more than 3 weeks that meant I was away from Bird all that time); finally I got all the problems resolved.

Now over to munching miles. Looking for some long ride this weekend. Photos? of course will follow after that ride.
Old 6th December 2010, 14:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Advait : It was exactly the same story with a friend of mine.

He got a new battery for his TBTS (bought in May this year) in July. That was after a lot of arguing. Actually a lot arguing is an understatement.
However, even that one went kaput within a few weeks. This time he got a replacement promptly.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 15:06   #24
BHPian

Hi All,

Let me update on my bike.

1) trip meter issue. replaced 3 meters. still getting stuck. went to brand store service and gave them left and right. this they put new design meter from the stock one. i was keeping an eye on it. some moron in my office parking lot reset the trip meter. time it was reset she was running at 272 kms. i think problem is solved.

2) handle bar rusting has been replaced under warranty. backrest is rusting and they were not ready to agree. living with it rather fighting again.

3) sparg clutch gone kaput. replaced under warranty.

4) handle was very tight. replaced something called kone set. i dunno. not sure about it.

5) t stem was bent. it was leaning towards right side. its not under warranty. had to shell out 1000 rs. when arguing with them they said u have dropped the bike. i said i never did. but not ready to agree. fed up of following with them, i agreed to replace.paid.

6) i had put short bottle silencer from RE service center which they provide for tbts direct fit. bike sounds good. but lately the smoothness in my bike is missing. Also in stock silencer i was getting mileage of 43. not its reduced to 31. planning to go back to stock silencer.

apart from these i dint have any problem starting with ES. I took Randhawa advise in CL500 thread to start bike with ES first in the monring. Doing that religeously.

Bike is great but RE has to pull up there socks to on quality part and servicing. Or else RE will surely be a history in few yrs. I have few friends and family folks already frustrated with the bike and planning to sell.
Endofdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 16:14   #25
BHPian

Default Re: My name is Bird, Thunderbird.

Its exactly two weeks I got my Bird back after 2nd service.

Between that day and today morning I had run (or flown ??) 303 kms. I had put petrol last time when going home from workshop and had reset the trip meter to 0. I had again done tankful today morning and tripmeter was showing 277. This is amazing for the engine that size. Approx. 2 lts petrol was still in the tank today that means (8.16 - 2 = )6.16 ltr petrol was consumed for 277 that returns stunning figure of 44.96. But this is just approximation. It would be plus/minus 2. Fantastic still i think.

I have been approached by fellow riders on the road in this period since owning Bird and asked these questions many many times.
1. How much did it cost
2. Kitna mileage deta hai? everyone thinks it wont be more than a Volvo 5-axle truck and when I tell them 42 they are like
3. How much do I spend on maintenance.

And I am happy to see their faces after I answer these questions. I am enjoying every journey - home to office or on highways. This is one of the best possessions I have.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Its exactly two weeks I got my Bird back after 2nd service.

Between that day and today morning I had run (or flown ??) 303 kms. I had put petrol last time when going home from workshop and had reset the trip meter to 0. I had again done tankful today morning and tripmeter was showing 277. This is amazing for the engine that size. Approx. 2 lts petrol was still in the tank today that means (8.16 - 2 = )6.16 ltr petrol was consumed for 277 that returns stunning figure of 44.96. But this is just approximation. It would be plus/minus 2. Fantastic still i think.
How is your riding pattern? What is the speed you maintain and nature of road- city/highway mix?
stnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 20:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Bike is great but RE has to pull up there socks to on quality part and servicing. Or else RE will surely be a history in few yrs. I have few friends and family folks already frustrated with the bike and planning to sell.
First, congrats on your Thunderbird, may you clock many a mile together!
Second, let me know if someone is planning to sell
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 07:39   #28
BHPian

Hey Advait congrats on your ride and happy thumping. Please dont forget to follow the manufacturer's run-in instructions. It will go a long way in having a trouble free ride. Keep a tab on the oil change intervals too and clean it daily Its just great to be on a bullet.
madhkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 13:05   #29
BHPian

I just completed one year on my Bird and what a year that was.

It has been run-in as per instructions and servicing as per the calendar.
I am happy that they have closed all the open points in the free services.

They changed my battery as it was the problem area for starting troubles under warrenty. Changed it with Exide again but this time its running fine.
They changed the trip meter with no cost to me.

The Bird is gliding me absolutely fine. Just the last 3 months were bad for both of us. I could not ride much in last three months thanks to heavy monsoon and craters in Pune that wont allow me to ride. I was back on four wheels.

A disturbing update : I had to keep my Bird in open area for 2-3 days and thats when it was raining quite heavily. Due to this pillion back support, saree guard and nut on the handle-bar has started to rust. What is the solution to
1. Remove the rust
2. To ensure it does not come back again.
I agree it was my mistake to keep the Bird in open in heavy rains and not wipe it clean. but thats where i am right now. Please help me out; I can't see my Bird this way.
Old 23rd September 2011, 14:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
A disturbing update : I had to keep my Bird in open area for 2-3 days and thats when it was raining quite heavily. Due to this pillion back support, saree guard and nut on the handle-bar has started to rust. What is the solution to
1. Remove the rust
2. To ensure it does not come back again.
I agree it was my mistake to keep the Bird in open in heavy rains and not wipe it clean. but thats where i am right now. Please help me out; I can't see my Bird this way.
Congrats on a year of joyful riding!

For removing rust from chrome, Randhawa has mentioned some tips in this post here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2424293 (RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership)
datvichrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote