Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th August 2010, 16:51   #1
BHPian

Default My name is Bird, Thunderbird.

My name is Bird, Thunderbird.

Well, that's what I got; and I am shaken and stirred both.

Is it happiness or excitement? Or both? Well, I dont know. Whatever it is; I don't mind it.

I got my long cherished dream fulfilled yesterday. I got my Thunderbird delivered after 2 long months of wait.

Cut 1 -- sometime in Jan'2010
There was some family function I had no choice but to attend. And as luck would have it; it was near the Royal Enfield showroom. I sneaked out of the function and walked into the showroom. Enquired about the rides there and had a test ride of the Electra. Stunning. Mindblowing. That's what I thought. That's the day my dream of riding the Bull long burried somewhere in my heart came live. That was the time I was actually planning to go for a bigger car. And I test drove almost all cars within the budget - Linea, SX4, Fiesta, Jazz and even Xylo. Fiesta booking almost decided while this happened.

Cut 2 -- June 5th, 2010
Enough is enough. Thats what I thought. I am going to book the ride now. Came Saturday and I was there. I paid token amount and was told I will get the ride in 2-3 months. Oh man, the waiting period. Came July last week thats when he had promised me delivery. And there I was; calling the dealer almost every 3-4 days enquiring about the delivery. Finally, may be tired of me calling he told me "Sir dont worry we have already placed order long back and it would be delivered when the next lot comes.".
Me - "When is it expected?"
He - "July last week or August 1st week"
Me - ""

Cut 3 -- August 4th, 2010
Balance amount already paid to him; he called up, sir bike has come and would be sent to the RTO for passing tomorrow.

Yippie; I will get my bird on 5th.

No. Not to be. The RTO inspector as I was told came late and it would be only after 5.30 that I can get delivery. Noooooooooo. I had a meeting in office at 6. Oh man ! After two long months; I was supposed to get it today and its not going to be. One more day to wait. That was a long night. I woke up around 2 and could not stop thinking about the bird. I once again checked the thread on PDI checklist for RE bikes; jotted down points and then watched some "faltu" movie at 2.30 in the night before finally coerced to sleep.

Came 6th August. Usual office friday. Left office early. And it was a long journey from Hinjewadi to Marketyard. The roads, The traffic, The signals; why is everybody against me reaching there fast :(

Finally I am there. Was told they have taken it for putting numberplate. And then it came; the moment I was waiting for. My bird was here; in front of me.

Did the PDI. Found that the bolts on handlebar and sidebars above shock absorbers had rust. I complained that it had to be changed. Initial reaction "Sir, the plant is in Chennai so it's bound to happen. Some rust here and there. It's alright". After some "sweet" talking, they agreed. Wow. I actually expected them to polish it; but they agreed to change it. Fantastic.

I was explained each and every bit in details; about how to remove tyre in case of puncture; fuse and how to replace it. We had a test ride with dealer mechanic first riding and me pillion. He explained about limiting speeds and not revving hard; about gear changes and more things. Then I was riding and he was pillion. He said take your own time and learn about gear shifting, acceleration and braking. That's something new; dealer person spending so much time (actually about 45 mins) explaining about the bike and letting me take my own time to learn riding. Fantastic.

The bird was in perfect condition. I was actually apprehensive since I was riding a "bike" after more than 6 years. The traffic condition of a friday evening throughout the road to home made me jittery. Whole stretch is a stop-go traffic - MarketYard - Swargate - Tilak Road - FC Road - University Road - Aundh. But I was on Bird. not to worry. I was amazed to see how easy the handling is. And not to worry about the weight. Its a bird; it flies, it glides.

Went to Shakti Sports, bought a cruiser style Studds helmet and came back home.

It's time to live my 14 years dream. The dream I have cherished the day I got my bike licence. Now Cut the story and hit the road.

Now the vital facts.
Dealer - Dhone Automobiles, Marketyard.
Price - 114,421 on road Pune.
Waiting Period - 2 months for Thunderbird, Electra and Bullet. 8 months for Classic350 and 10 months for Classic500.

It's photo time folks !!! Here you go.
Attached Images

advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 19:29   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your Bird. I am a Karizma owner since 3 yrs and have clocked 31k.

The day since i have ridden a bullet 350 i have made up my mind of buying it the day i sell my karizma.
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 23:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations advait! So finally the TBTS is home. One of the pics seem to suggest you have already taken her for a long ride. They could have chromed the "Twinspark" sticker though.

Do keep us posted on the riding and overall ownership experience!
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 06:01   #4
BHPian

great choice there adwait! heres hopin to catch you on the roads sometime!
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 07:51   #5
BHPian

Congrats Advait, it was a long wait but it will be worth it.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 08:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele
It's time to live my 14 years dream. The dream I have cherished the day I got my bike licence. Now Cut the story and hit the road.
Welcome to the world biker boy!!! Enjoy your ride with us. And, yes, Congratulations on your new ride. I'm happy that your heart won the brain so that you will not regret. I hope you'll buy (rather invest) good sets of riding gears that will give you enjoyment, protection, fun & safe riding for the years to come. Congrats again & I'm happy for you
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 09:03   #7
BHPian

Congrats Advait, the wait for a Royal Enfield is always worth it. Even i have a 2004 RE Thunderbird (Blue).
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 17:10   #8
BHPian

Congrats man.. The excitement and anticipation for the wait of a RE is inexplicable. Enjoy riding and be safe. Btw nice colour.
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 22:14   #9
BHPian

Many Congrats ! Run her in good, The UCE engine doesnt take a lot of effort. And yeah like my buddy BOND, galz would go crazy over this beauty
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 22:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the bird. She looks good. Ride safe.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 15:45   #11
BHPian

Default 2 weeks - 350 kms

Yes, Have completed 350 kms in two weeks. Wanted to share with folks about my feelings after initial two weeks.

1. It's amazing
2. It's amazing
3. It's amazing

@ shan2129 - Thanks buddy. But I was so engrossed riding my Bird; I didnt really look around how many had gone crazy.

@ aargee - thanks. I really want to go for some good riding jacket; but choice offered to me in Pune is a no choice. One more thing I was disappointed not to find is child helmet. Want to buy a decent helmet for my son so that I can ride with him.

@ sajo - no long rides yet. All the photos are taken near my house in Aundh and Khadki only.

Now onto some points I want could have been better.
1. horn sounds as if someone had lots of Chhole's last night and its effect is showing (or heard should I say) next morning. Want to immediately replace it with a better horn. How could RE pass such a terrible sound through tests and put it on assembly line.
2. The engine stops running on idle (especially on stop-go traffic on Hinjewadi or on signals). So I have to keep it revving between 1000 and 1500 rpm. The moment I take my hand off accelerator, it would stop. Its really awkward on signals or in traffic. Moreso, I cannot restart it with starter and have to kick at least 3-4 times to put life back in engine.
3. The trip meter stopped working at 199.9 km and wont go and touch 200km. After I reset it to zero, it again stopped at 29 km. I moved it upwards to 129 and its working fine till now. This is something I want to show at first service.

Any pointers on second point?

I want to take my Bird to Lavasa or somewhere; may be next weekend. So till then cheers.
Old 21st August 2010, 20:34   #12
BHPian

@advaitlele : the idle problem can be sorted out by adjusting the Idle screw in your carb. , but i would suggest you to take your bike to a mechanic or the RE stable and let the RE guy work on it.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:57   #13
BHPian

oh you lucky dude!! man ive gotta wait another 2 weeks for my bird to come home!! ride safe and ride hard bro!!
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post

Now onto some points I want could have been better.
1. horn sounds as if someone had lots of Chhole's last night and its effect is showing (or heard should I say) next morning. Want to immediately replace it with a better horn. How could RE pass such a terrible sound through tests and put it on assembly line.
2. The engine stops running on idle (especially on stop-go traffic on Hinjewadi or on signals). So I have to keep it revving between 1000 and 1500 rpm. The moment I take my hand off accelerator, it would stop. Its really awkward on signals or in traffic. Moreso, I cannot restart it with starter and have to kick at least 3-4 times to put life back in engine.
3. The trip meter stopped working at 199.9 km and wont go and touch 200km. After I reset it to zero, it again stopped at 29 km. I moved it upwards to 129 and its working fine till now. This is something I want to show at first service.

Any pointers on second point?

I want to take my Bird to Lavasa or somewhere; may be next weekend. So till then cheers.
First of all congrats on a very wise purchase enjoy the ride.

I will try to answer your queries

1. I felt the same for the horn, I mean its a big bike and it deserves a better horn. You can either change it to a better sounding one or add one more horn to the one present to make it sound meatier. (I did the latter).

2. This is very easy, you just need to increase the idling speed of the engine and this issue will be solved. You will find a shining metal screw over you carb you can adjust it to idle at around 900-1000 rpm.

3. The trip meter should be dealt with care, I would suggest you to take up this issue with the service engineer during your first service.

Please carefully follow the run-in speeds for the kms mentioned in the manual

hope this helps cheers!!

Last edited by schitre05 : 23rd August 2010 at 16:06.
schitre05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 09:53   #15
BHPian

Got my first free service done last weekend at the end of 500 kms.

Few observations :
1. Starting problem - the starting problem is only with the starter button. With kick its fine. According to the RE mechanic, the battery is dead and is not charging. I have a contrary observation. Even when the engine is off, headlight is working fine, so is horn and sidelight. So I think its not the battery. It's something to do with the starter.
2. Trip meter problem still not solved. It does not move ahead from 99.9 e.g. if I reset it at 100, when it stucks at 99, it goes on smoothly till 199.9 and then again restarts at 199.1 till 199.9 and it goes on like that till I move it manually to 200, and at 299.9 its same problem.

The fuel average till now, (after 600 km) is roughly 45. I was pleasantly surprised to get this figure. I was told when taking delivery that till first couple of services, it would be around 32-35.

Gurus - please help me with above two problems.