Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th August 2010, 10:17   #16
Team-BHP Support

In the non Twin Spark bikes there is a provision to reduce the compression in the chamber. While you can live without the decomp in a tb, its asking for trouble on a standard.

The correct way to to start a Bullet is to press the decomp. Give a soft kick by pushing the kick start lever all the way down. Do this pump action maybe twice or thrice. The lever will start going down very smoothly after the second pump.
Now let go of the decomp and give it a soft kick. The bike will start. For bikes with an ampmeter the needle position is also important.

If done without using the decomp, there is a possibility of a nasty kick back form the bike.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 10:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by bblost
For bikes with an ampmeter the needle position is also important
Ok, ok, I got this point now. I once had a nasty kick from a old RE, somewhere in mid 80's; and that too the rear footrest of RE cannot be folded back, so the leg goes & hits exactly on the rear footrest.

Now I get the whole point. I hope these issues are not present with the UCE engine. But, why does this decomp exists first of all? Is it due to the push rods technology?

Thanks @BBlost
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 10:46   #18

Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Ricky, BBlost & other RE gurus - I know what's the tappet & what's to be done to for tappet noise, I'm not aware of this decompress. what's this decompress & wire stuff? Could you throw some light on this pls?
The wire attached to the tappet cover in the orange rectangle in the first pic is the decompress wire. It is used to cool off the engine and release the exhaust gases in the cylinder which are left inside when you kill the ignition of the bike.

Some people use it to switch off the ignition in CI engines but not in AVL because of different mechanisms.
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote