Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd August 2010, 01:26   #1
BHPian

Default Pulsar 220 F 2010 - Low beam leveling issue

Hey guys,

Got my P220 F yesterday and its a pretty good bike I must say. Last night went for a small ride and I found an issue with the headlight beam angling thingie. Low beam is more like highbeam and the high beam is like " sky " beam .

Any idea how to fix this thing?
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 02:54   #2
BHPian

you could just take the bike to the showroom or their service centre. As you bought it yesterday, they will fix it in a zippy ! BTW congrats on your new ride!
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 11:36   #3
BHPian

@shan : That is an obvious option but the showroom is 18 odd kms away from my place and the roads and traffic is BAD! I was looking for a DIY option ctually. But I'm new to Full fairing bikes so thought of asking experts for a DIY option.
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:38   #4
BHPian

You could ask the local mech to do that but, I would suggest you to go and get it done by the Service center, also this is what is normal, it is stock, even I had that.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:18   #5
BHPian

@king: Since this is your new bike, it is strongly recommended to service it through the dealer instead of local mech. What is 18 odd km for a pulsar
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 22:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
You could ask the local mech to do that but, I would suggest you to go and get it done by the Service center, also this is what is normal, it is stock, even I had that.
You are living with that issue or got it rectified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
@king: Since this is your new bike, it is strongly recommended to service it through the dealer instead of local mech. What is 18 odd km for a pulsar
haha, 18 kms is not a big issue at all on a P220, YOu can do hundreds of kms at a strech without a problem. I'm worried about the traffic and the stupid auto guys around, I don't want my 3days old bike to have scratches so soon.
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

King of my world.... i know the problem that you are talking about. i have been facing the same problem in last 55oo Km i have adjusted the head lite like 7-9 times. there are two fixes. one is that you can get a new head lite but that's not a sure fix. second is that you set it to your liking and then on the adjusting nut just put some silicon sealant. i am going the second way next week. i have had enough with the head lite thing.

i have this problem on my P220 S so you may also be able to fix your problem with the same fix.

Best of luck
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 00:24   #8
BHPian

New head lamp? How would that solve the issue? Even those will have similar mounts and stuff so even they'll work the same way. I ride the 220 F ( the one with the full fairing ).
Old 24th August 2010, 02:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

yes i am sorry buying a new head lamp may not be a resort for you. but a friend has the same problem on his Pulsar. he got a new head lite that did not take care of the issue and he had an accident and in the next new head lite the problem was gone..hehehe. but thats not the point.

In my bike i can see that the adjuster nut comes lose so if something can keep it on place it will not give problem. so for this i am going to use the silicon sealant
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 00:34   #10
BHPian

Why not adjust it yourself ?

Do this : put the bike on main stand, turn the handlebar to the right. Now sit next to the bike to the right , reach up from under the fairing and feel for a plastic knob which is about 3/4 inch across. Turn it clockwise to lower the beam, anti-clockwise to raise. You can't see the know but can feel it by the fingers. The low beam knob is easy to find, the high beam not so , but it's just 2-3 inched above the low beam knob.

The bike being new, this will tax your fingers as the knob is very tight (difficult to turn) and your fingers will be sore for some time after.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 00:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Why not adjust it yourself ?

Do this : put the bike on main stand, turn the handlebar to the right. Now sit next to the bike to the right , reach up from under the fairing and feel for a plastic knob which is about 3/4 inch across. Turn it clockwise to lower the beam, anti-clockwise to raise. You can't see the know but can feel it by the fingers. The low beam knob is easy to find, the high beam not so , but it's just 2-3 inched above the low beam knob.

The bike being new, this will tax your fingers as the knob is very tight (difficult to turn) and your fingers will be sore for some time after.
Bingo! I found the knob at the first go, Its tight as you said. But I'm unable to figureout whether its the low beam one or the highbeam one. I found a huge block lying above it and there was no knob below it so I'm confused where the other beam knob is.
Old 28th August 2010, 01:46   #12
BHPian

Got it dude.. Found the highbeam leveling knob as well, It was a pain in the wrong place turning it. Low beam knob was easy to handle but highbeam knob was HELL!! OUCH!! My fingers still hurt!
Old 30th August 2010, 22:30   #13
BHPian

Great. If the knob was easy to find, it was the low beam one ! The lock above it is probably the BCU that controls headlamp operation.

That above was for headlamp adjustment, don't even ask about changing bulbs ! You have to remove the fairing, which is like 16-20 or so screws+bolts ! BAL seemingly didn't give maintainence much though there.

The Karizma bulb change was a DIY job for me , 2 screws, 2 bolts - and the bulb change was done in under 30min, of course the first few times I took 45min or maybe more.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 00:16   #14
BHPian

I was planning to do a HID DIY install on my 220, Now you made me think whether to do it or not :|.
Hmm, Well, As this is the first time I'm working on a bikie, I'll ask one of the mechanics I know to help me out with the fairing opening thing. Just to be on safe side.