Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 29th August 2010, 09:22   #1

Question Front Shocks for Bullet Standard

I would like to change the Front Shocks for my Bull to an Endurance made one.Mine is a 1988 model,so I have the old type of front shocks which results in oil seals breaking off and a stiffer ride.I would like to install an Endurance one on it.Recently I had a Front Disc brake kit fitted on my Bull.So I would like to know if an Endurance one can be fitted and what would be the cost?
bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 16:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, all Bullets excluding probably the Classic have parts that are interchangeable. So I dont see what would be an hindrance to install Endurance shocks. You could sell your current kit (shocks + disc) and get the new Endurance shocks with the disc brakes.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 17:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes you can fit the new type front fork with integrated oil seals. I had changed the old type shock absorber on my Bullet with a newer type. You will need to change both inner tube as well as the outer tube. Rest eerything is bolt on.

If going the disk brake route, get the right fork leg with cast in caliper mounts.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 22:07   #4

Thanks for the reply.Can I fit it on the standard type mudguard and Head light casing bcoz I believe the shocks are screwed and put in electra whereas in standard old models,they are fitted using the threads.
Recently I got my engine done 3 months back and the bike has run only 1450kms.I was getting a mileage of only around 22km/ltr.today when I showed it to the mechanic he said that the bore clearance is more.The bore kit was bought newly by me from Naaz motors in chennai.The mechanic says that hes finding a manufacturing defect with the bore for the 5th time recently.Is it true that some bores have manufacturing defects.And is it not possible to check a new bore for any faults,if any.
Old 30th August 2010, 08:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Electra/Newer STD both has a headlight casquette, so the fork is fixed the same way as is done on the old standard, the inner tube has threads and is screwed on to the casquette.

The fork with the caliper lug has different mudguard moutnings, only top mounts like other bikes. The fork without caliper mounts (ie., the STD fork leg) has standard mudguard mounts, so you will be able to use the existing mudguard.

What defect does the mech find with the bore? Is it oval, is the clearance too much, did it have a partial seizure? How is the compression, does it drink oil?
Was the bore kit original item or aftermarket third party? Which piston came with the kit?

To check the bore, take the cylinder and the piston to a reboring shop of repute with the right reboring tools and expertise, alongwith someone who's technical about these things.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 13:55   #6

Thanks for the update.The bore is a new one,original one purchased from Naaz motors in Chennai.I purchased the entire bore kit with Piston and rings.
I didnt find the compression much low.The mech says that clearance is too much.he says that it happens with some Bore kits.While I bought the stuff,I had been with the mechanic.So I had asked him if he couldnt check it while buying itself.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:47   #7

I bought original Front Shocks from Sandya Motors in bangalore.On checking with my mechanic an deven the shop guys,I came to know that I cant fit the Endurance ones for my standard bcoz the Endurance have the LN Key fiiting on the Headlight casquette and we can fit only Electra,Machismo and Theunderbird type mudguards on the endurance type front forks.So I had to buy the RE original ones.Now is it that the technology of the RE ones and Endurance ones are the same.I came to know that Endurance is the OEM for RE shocks.So is it only for Electra type or even the standard type.